Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh crap, price drop after order but before delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered mine last week(already have VIN)with FSD, the sticker is 134,700 after price update dropped to 123,500.
I talked to my DS (Seattle) they told me the only thing I can do is cancel the order and re-order it but I will lose my 2,500 deposit.
Is that true? any ideas?
thanks
I’ve noted prior that my DS was able to move my first deposit to my second order. The only note here is I did have to restart my timeline and add a second 2500 deposit essentially making my total deposit 5k.

With that said, I pick up my car Tuesday next week. I’ve confirmed they upgraded me from 270 to 295 plus free FSD. I paid the 5k for EAP in my order.

I’ve noted prior that my DS was able to move my first deposit to my second order. The only note here is I did have to restart my timeline and add a second 2500 deposit essentially making my total deposit 5k.

With that said, I pick up my car Tuesday next week. I’ve confirmed they upgraded me from 270 to 295 plus free FSD. I paid the 5k for EAP in my order.

I’d like to double check on my order, can you please share the phone number you called and how you went about it. Deliverynis fir Saturday :)

Thanks

This is a huge mess, from California right up to Canada.

I have an order I have not taken delivery yet, and the value of the exact configuration has decreased by $26,000. This isn't just a 4k-6k depreciation, thats 10-15% of the value of the vehicle. This is an economic issue, that mirrors the 2008 housing crisis. Values of an asset (the vehicle) are being artificially depreciated by the manufacturer. Suddenly a car worth 200k is now 170k. How are the banks, the lender, the underwriters for the loans and leases going to react? Customers sign loan for 200k, but only get asset worth 170k, they'll pay a loan on 200k for an asset worth less, this will cause defaulting or at the very least a credit crunch. Banks use the 200k asset as collateral on the loan, and suddenly have to write down 15% value, because the collateral is now worth 30k less. Customers will walk away from loans and leases, and banks will have to write down huge amounts of capital, resulting in artificially decreased debt-asset ratios. This is exactly what happened with US housing crisis (simplified).

I spoke to someone quite high up in the Canadian Sales hierarchy, and they were just as perplexed and frustrated with these changes being ridiculous, as I was. They honestly advised that any owners waiting on a delivery put it on hold until this *sugar* is figured out. They also said the only "Official" information they've received from Tesla corporate, is that customers can take delivery, return the same day to get full price+deposit back, and then re-order. This way, get the new cheaper price, and keep your deposit. Tesla even knows this is not ideal, but Elon's idiocy seems to have pushed it through.

The return approach or the pay the $2500 cancel fee approach are probably the best moves to the people caught in the middle.

New car value might have dropped, but that's not to say the used cars market will fall by the same amount.

Obviously the numbers are smaller, but someone who bought a Chevy at sticker vs. one who bought it at 8K off, pretty much the same.

The used market would have to fall by a similar amount. So this DOES effect anyone who purchased their vehicle in the last year or so. Imagine someone just purchased the car, took delivery last month. They got a XYZ config of the Model whatever, for $100k. Now, a month later, that exact XYZ config of model wtv, is brand new from Tesla for $80k. Their new car purchase is suddenly worth 20k less overnight. That 80k is now the "current" "New car" price, and absolutely that is the bar where used prices would now be set. Normal 'off the lot' depreciation is expected, but when the same car new from Tesla is now 20k cheaper, the bar by which the used vehicle's asset value is determined has also just been lowered.

Take a hypothetical example of someone who might have bought the car a year ago. It has now accepted the normal, and expected depreciation of about 20% from that first year. The owner paid 100k, a year later should be able to sell it for the deprecated value of about 80k on the used market. (Used car prices are based on many other factors, but the simplified version is just this 'broad' depreciation). But suddenly the exact same car brand new from Tesla, is also $80k, because of the price decrease. Why would anyone buy the used one at it's used value of 80k, when a new one from Tesla (after this price drop announcement), is also 80k. No, logically, the used car value has gone from 100k depreciated 20% for the 1 year, to being worth 80k, THEN depreciated 20% for that first year. anyone buying it used is still buying a 1 year old used car, they would only pay a price of the car's total or New value, minus the depreciation of how old it is.

This is why everyone who bought a Tesla in the last year is now screwed. In Canada, these price differences are huge! Any model S or X owner is taking a 10k plus hit, and in some cases, almost 30k. The discounted software upgrades is total bull from Tesla, they're already high Margin items, that they still want you to pay extra for, just at a discount. After they just sliced 20k off the value of your vehicle.

People who have signed Leases or loans, are now paying for a 100k car, thats only worth 80. They're paying interest on a higher asset value than actually exists.

Tesla needs to make this right. outstanding orders need to be adjusted to the current prices. And they should be offering a retroactive discount, on a sliding scale based on how long ago you purchased the vehicle. I'd propose a fair limit of 1year for those who purchased outright, and anyone on a Lease or loan, should have a more complex time-value-of-money calculation to start decreasing the amounts they pay going forward.

The used market would have to fall by a similar amount. So this DOES effect anyone who purchased their vehicle in the last year or so. Imagine someone just purchased the car, took delivery last month. They got a XYZ config of the Model whatever, for $100k. Now, a month later, that exact XYZ config of model wtv, is brand new from Tesla for $80k. Their new car purchase is suddenly worth 20k less overnight. That 80k is now the "current" "New car" price, and absolutely that is the bar where used prices would now be set. Normal 'off the lot' depreciation is expected, but when the same car new from Tesla is now 20k cheaper, the bar by which the used vehicle's asset value is determined has also just been lowered.

Take a hypothetical example of someone who might have bought the car a year ago. It has now accepted the normal, and expected depreciation of about 20% from that first year. The owner paid 100k, a year later should be able to sell it for the deprecated value of about 80k on the used market. (Used car prices are based on many other factors, but the simplified version is just this 'broad' depreciation). But suddenly the exact same car brand new from Tesla, is also $80k, because of the price decrease. Why would anyone buy the used one at it's used value of 80k, when a new one from Tesla (after this price drop announcement), is also 80k. No, logically, the used car value has gone from 100k depreciated 20% for the 1 year, to being worth 80k, THEN depreciated 20% for that first year. anyone buying it used is still buying a 1 year old used car, they would only pay a price of the car's total or New value, minus the depreciation of how old it is.

This is why everyone who bought a Tesla in the last year is now screwed. In Canada, these price differences are huge! Any model S or X owner is taking a 10k plus hit, and in some cases, almost 30k. The discounted software upgrades is total bull from Tesla, they're already high Margin items, that they still want you to pay extra for, just at a discount. After they just sliced 20k off the value of your vehicle.

People who have signed Leases or loans, are now paying for a 100k car, thats only worth 80. They're paying interest on a higher asset value than actually exists.

Tesla needs to make this right. outstanding orders need to be adjusted to the current prices. And they should be offering a retroactive discount, on a sliding scale based on how long ago you purchased the vehicle. I'd propose a fair limit of 1year for those who purchased outright, and anyone on a Lease or loan, should have a more complex time-value-of-money calculation to start decreasing the amounts they pay going forward.

I have been though this a long time ago. Its the Tesla way and the values keep dropping. If you recently purchased cancel your order and hopefully they let you move your deposit to a new vehicle. Even if they dont and you lose your $2500 and place a new order you will still be ahead.

You're asking a company to give a bunch of money away, as if it has a huge cash pile.

Tesla's just refinanced to get an extra $1B in credit.

Do you think that poor people should buy gifts on credit, because it's better to give than receive?

I am taking delivery next week and my DS still hasn’t been able to confirm long range. Did you get both upon delivery?

I am taking delivery next week and my DS still hasn’t been able to confirm long range. Did you get both upon delivery?
Pickup Tuesday. Call corporate. Bypass DS. My experience (which only represents my specific DS) is that DS knows very little and the corporate folks can answer most in minutes. They did in fact confirm this for me. Overall, I will let
You know for sure Tuesday.

I ordered standard range (270mi) and EAP Model X a few weeks ago. Delivery scheduled for next week. I emailed my sales rep to ask what I’ll be getting and he said since my car hasn’t been delivered yet, Tesla is ‘gifting’ me FSD and long range. Anyone else get the same?

Update: took delivery of the car on Thursday. It is long range and badged as a 100D. I don’t think they ‘gifted’ the FSD as promised though because when I login to my Tesla account, it gives me the option to upgrade to FSD for $2K. Contacted my sales rep and he said he’d look into it.

Update: took delivery of the car on Thursday. It is long range and badged as a 100D. I don’t think they ‘gifted’ the FSD as promised though because when I login to my Tesla account, it gives me the option to upgrade to FSD for $2K. Contacted my sales rep and he said he’d look into it.
That's interesting that it has the 100D badge considering they changed to the Standard/Long Range nomenclature. We are tentatively scheduled for delivery this week. Since we ordered EAP and FSD, we don't know if we'll just get Early Access, an additional discount or nothing.

I guess we have to buy it before Sunday?

If I add it before delivery, can I get it added to my maroney sticker. The reason is for resale and insurance purposes. But then, does anyone know if they charge sales tax if I activate online later?

I do know the extended warranty prices go up if purchased after one year

Just took ownership this morning. I can confirm it’s long range. Badged as 100D and came with FSD even though I did not pay for that.
When you reordered the SR X, what was the total price? Was it before February 2nd?

We still haven't bothered calling to change our order since it shows up as Long Range. However, it sounds like you were able to save even more by not paying for FSD. We already ordered that so I wonder if we could reorder and deduct that from the price but still receive it.