Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh hell naw!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is what Audi, Lexus, BMW and Mercedes are doing with their similar cars. I see a lot of floating screens.

Screens.png

Here is what Audi, Lexus, BMW and Mercedes are doing with their similar cars. I see a lot of floating screens.

A screen rising above the dash is quite different from one protruding from it, though. A controversial design style for sure on the Model 3.

But more importantly, all that Model 3 priced competition offers a second screen in fronf of the driver, some offer Model S like full graphical instrument cluster (e.g. Audi A4) and most also have HUD option...

Last edited:
With the recent addition for Anders Bell, VP of interior design from Volvo, I would expect the interior of the Model 3 is more appealing than what is shown on the spy shots. Regardless of the base vehicle cost, this would be a show stopper for me. I stood in line on 3/31 morning at Santana Row store to sign up for 2, with the intention to buy 1 PxxDL and 1 base RWD. The interior as-is is too spartan for either of my options.

Reactions: William3
It's a matter of taste. In the Model 3, it's a computer display that looks like an intruding afterthought. In those other cars, the displays are much more integrated and/or unobtrusive with the general dash design. I agree that a fully integrated display looks best. This one is partially integrated in that it at least follows the contouring. I like the aspect ratio:
bmw_i_vision_future_interaction_on_loc-016.jpg

Reactions: davidc18
With the recent addition for Anders Bell, VP of interior design from Volvo, I would expect the interior of the Model 3 is more appealing than what is shown on the spy shots. Regardless of the base vehicle cost, this would be a show stopper for me. I stood in line on 3/31 morning at Santana Row store to sign up for 2, with the intention to buy 1 PxxDL and 1 base RWD. The interior as-is is too spartan for either of my options.

Technically, Anders Bell was a Senior Director of Engineering and Head of Interior Engineering. And he was hired December 2016, while Elon's "pencils down" date was in July 2016.

I might guess that Mr. Bell is focused on production and not on design.

In The Transporter 2, the Audi A8L had a pop up screen for the car security lock. The Model 3 needs that feature.

And I want a conventional gauge cluster (digital LCD), plus whatever the center mounted screen will be. The displays should be like what the Model S has.

Reactions: Big-T
Have to agree I just don't like that floating screen. However, if it is properly integrated to the middle of the dash then it would be great.

Can you imagine the dust and dirt collected behind that screen if it ended up like that? What possible reason can there be to not integrating fully to dash?
Cheaper, easier manufacturing and repair.

Your right. He clearly hasn't been involved in interior design. PC interior is fine for a taxi, but not for a entry level luxury vehicle intended to convert ICE drivers to BEV's.

Well, Elon went from comparing the Model 3 to a spaceship, to comparing it to a taxi in the recent tweet-storm. And with the goal of autonomous driving and the car making money for you in the master plan 2, perhaps taxi is exactly the goal for a Model 3.