Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh hell naw!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 221864

The thing about Mercedes, is they think their stylized mouse in the center console is functional. It's a POS as is their voice command system (at least in my wife's 2016 C-class).

Touch screens like Tesla uses are the way to go.

The Mercedes seat controls are at least visible, and don't require "seat adjustment by braille" for your passengers or drivers without memory seat settings.
Couldn't agree more @boiler81. Had a C class rental for a week 3 months ago and both my wife and I couldn't help but say during and afterward how much we hated it. The ride was harsh, the dash is a mess and that mouse, like you said, is a POS. I know YMMV, and some love their Mercedes, but that killed any interest in our buying one.

VgBA1OY.jpg

I'm not driving a car with a Prius looking interior.
That looks ugly.
That is not a Prius like interior. It just feels like it because the car is drifting behind a truck.

The automotive press questioned the choice before, and most likely will include criticism for the feature when it goes on sale. There are many cars with touch screens BTW. Odd analogy.
not really. How many manufacturers only have ONE touch screen for everything?

After the model 3 all those extra buttons and knobs and screens will seem like a physical keyboard on old phones.

Another reason to purchase a Model S now or a Model 3 later ... More Marketing BS :cool:

I think demand for the S & X is pretty now at the moment (Demand) and Tesla now wants to push those sales. The problem is they don't want to advertise or offer discounts. In the past the always had something to offer (facelift, new 60kWh battery, P100D, AP2 etc.), but at the moment they simply don't have anything to generate sales from people who were waiting for something like the 100kWh battery or something that would attract new customer via viral marketing attention like the P100D drag videos (I think that's why they brought back the Christmas Easter egg). So while other companies would now just run commercials telling you how great the Model S is or offer some discount on the 60kWh Model S for people who hold a Model 3 reservation Tesla somehow has to push the people in that direction. That's also why they remove the 60kWh option, because they want people to order now and not in 4 months. Yes, it's a bad sales tactic, but Tesla does not want to use those other sales tactics so there simply isn't much left hey can do...

I think demand for the S & X is pretty now at the moment (Demand) and Tesla now wants to push those sales.

The problem is they don't want to advertise or offer discounts. In the past the always had something to offer (facelift, new 60kWh battery, P100D, AP2 etc.), but at the moment they simply don't have anything to generate sales from people who were waiting for something like the 100kWh battery or something that would attract new customer via viral marketing attention like the P100D drag videos (I think that's why they brought back the Christmas Easter egg).

So while other companies would now just run commercials telling you how great the Model S is or offer some discount on the 60kWh Model S for people who hold a Model 3 reservation Tesla somehow has to push the people in that direction. That's also why they remove the 60kWh option, because they want people to order now and not in 4 months.

Yes, it's a bad sales tactic, but Tesla does not want to use those other sales tactics so there simply isn't much left hey can do...

I agree with this analysis of course, as I have posted the same sentiment many times earlier too, but I really wish Tesla would start re-considering some of the basic tenets of their non-essential sales and marketing tactics.

Because reverse discounts through timed price-increases and forcing customer hands by constant changes in the product palette is simply bad PR in the long run. Tesla is stimulating demand through weird tricks at best and negative sentiment at worst and neither is good.

I agree with this analysis of course, as I have posted the same sentiment many times earlier too, but I really wish Tesla would start re-considering some of the basic tenets of their non-essential sales and marketing tactics.

Because reverse discounts through timed price-increases and forcing customer hands by constant changes in the product palette is simply bad PR in the long run. Tesla is stimulating demand through weird tricks at best and negative sentiment at worst and neither is good.

I would suggest that the current Tesla strategy is to drive short term sales until the Model 3 arrives.
Long term, this type of (poor) Marketing will not be needed and sales will stabilize with the new model.

I would suggest that the current Tesla strategy is to drive short term sales until the Model 3 arrives.
Long term, this type of (poor) Marketing will not be needed and sales will stabilize with the new model.

Maybe so.

But I am still of the opinion that some of these stubborn ideas may be hurting both Tesla and its customers more than they are helping. I mean, fine if Tesla does not want to do discounts on the store level then don't, and if dealerships are not their thing, but running honest to goodness pricing campaigns (company-wide) and some advertisements should not be incompatible with the Tesla way...

What Tesla has done has worked for them when the demand is mostly inherent. So Model 3 will buy them again some time when they will be production constrained. But one day, like it has been for the past year or so, a day will come again when Model 3 no longer is production constrained, but demand will need to be stimulated somehow.

Please, not these games again then...

Reactions: AustinPowers
not really. How many manufacturers only have ONE touch screen for everything?

After the model 3 all those extra buttons and knobs and screens will seem like a physical keyboard on old phones.
You really are trying hard to spin this cost cutting fiasco. Sure a UI can replace physical buttons, knobs, and switches but that doesn't mean it should for every control. Remember a reach is required for almost each and every adjustment and selection. Such a reaching method is a more distracting and involved effort than say slightly moving a control positioned under a resting hand.

You really are trying hard to spin this cost cutting fiasco. Sure a UI can replace physical buttons, knobs, and switches but that doesn't mean it should for every control. Remember a reach is required for almost each and every adjustment and selection. Such a reaching method is a more distracting and involved effort than say slightly moving a control positioned under a resting hand.

You haven't seen or used the final product so why would you call this a fiasco? What if some of the commonly use functions can also be done via the steering wheel buttons?

But I am still of the opinion that some of these stubborn ideas may be hurting both Tesla and its customers more than they are helping. I mean, fine if Tesla does not want to do discounts on the store level then don't, and if dealerships are not their thing, but running honest to goodness pricing campaigns (company-wide) and some advertisements should not be incompatible with the Tesla way...
It is important for Tesla to boast they don't advertise or discount. Part of the Tesla story - that supports the high valuation.