Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh hell naw!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
teslamodelxprototype-b-08.jpg
51196b79f225b0086f37e6a3f9a61f41.jpg

For those that don't recall or weren't here, the Model X prototype looked like this. Looks really similar to the Model 3 cabin from the reveal but the final product certainly looks more integrated.

If you had a set piece of software that never updates and adequate hardware then there should never been a lag time greater than then the system was first installed.
This is not true. One reason that this is not true is if the software collects a bigger dataset to work on then it was designed to do, or that the developers cared to test with. Two good examples here is old windows with it's infamous registry, and reports from Model S/X that never forgets a navigation, so when the navigation log starts to get long, the touch screen starts to be slow and may freeze and you have to manual remove old navigations from the log to make it stable again.

Reactions: slipnslider
This is not true. One reason that this is not true is if the software collects a bigger dataset to work on then it was designed to do, or that the developers cared to test with. Two good examples here is old windows with it's infamous registry, and reports from Model S/X that never forgets a navigation, so when the navigation log starts to get long, the touch screen starts to be slow and may freeze and you have to manual remove old navigations from the log to make it stable again.
You are making a blanket assertion about all touchscreen devices. If you have a touchscreen on, say, a simple appliance, it will not magically become laggy over time. Likewise even on a smart device if you had a real time OS and programmed interrupts correctly then even if there's something else processing a large dataset, you shouldn't have lag for UI elements or buttons acting as switches. Currently Tesla isn't using a real time OS, and they are using underpowered hardware. As for Tesla navigation, they could solve that problem by chunking the data and loading on demand.

Whoever's fault it is, it is a problem that doesn't exist with physical buttons.

It does when the physical buttons trigger software on the backend...

The Tesla Model 3 touchscreen *must* include faster HW. They're not putting in Tegra 3 - they're just not.

Therefore, we should see some new touchscreen HW on MS and MX this year.
(No way Tesla is rolling out brand spanking new 100k model S/X with 5 years old graphics HW, at the same time equipping their low budget model with the latest tech.)

One would think... right? I'm hoping it's at least one of the newer chips like a Tegra X1 to power the display and the DrivePX 2 (or 3 if Xavier is early) controlling autopilot.

You are making a blanket assertion about all touchscreen devices.
No. I'm making a "blanket assertion" on any computerized device, with or without a touchscreen. The old windows I was talking about did not normally have a touchscreen.
As you self said in your next post:
It does when the physical buttons trigger software on the backend...

As for Tesla navigation, they could solve that problem by chunking the data and loading on demand.
Yes, *that* problem has an - to us not involved in the software development of the car - apparently easy fix. But it isn't fixed yet, and I assume the software for the Model 3 to be made by the same developers that made the software on S+X. But again, this was just two easy examples of why your statement was incorrect in the way you wrote it.

... and an another "easy fix" for problems like this is - and has been for a while - to "just throw more/better hardware at the problem" - like you proposed - instead of fixing the real problem(s) in the software.

No. I'm making a "blanket assertion" on any computerized device, with or without a touchscreen. The old windows I was talking about did not normally have a touchscreen.
As you self said in your next post:

Yes, *that* problem has an - to us not involved in the software development of the car - apparently easy fix. But it isn't fixed yet, and I assume the software for the Model 3 to be made by the same developers that made the software on S+X. But again, this was just two easy examples of why your statement was incorrect in the way you wrote it.

... and an another "easy fix" for problems like this is - and has been for a while - to "just throw more/better hardware at the problem" - like you proposed - instead of fixing the real problem(s) in the software.

Exactly, if you had a microwave with a touchscreen and on the backend had a microcontroller powered by software, saying it'll get more laggy with time is crazy. It's simply not true of all devices.

Modern military aircraft are software controlled too in order to fly straight... More laggy with time? o_O :D

You said my statement about software that doesn't update being not true... then you cited Windows which both updates and has ever increasing datasets...

Tesla software that controls the sunroof shouldn't be laggy... The Tegra 3 powering the controls has a ARM Cortex A9 which is maybe slightly faster than a Raspberry Pi 3. That said, kodi on a Raspberry Pi 3 can be incredibly responsive.

Last edited:
If you had a microwave with a touchscreen and on the backend had a microcontroller powered by software you're saying it'll get more laggy with time? It's simply not true of all devices.
If the microwave did log all cocking done on it over time, and had a finite storage for this log and/or had to somehow process this log each time it was used, yes, it would get more laggy with time. Or if it had some other form of software bug (and yes, the scenario above is in my opinion a bug) it could also happen. I do not say that it will happen on every form of device/all software no matter what, just that it may happen. Normally as a result of some form of bug in the software. One type of bug is to not consider how much data that will be collected over time.

You said my statement about software that doesn't update being not true... then you cited Windows which both updates and has ever increasing datasets...
The registry on this old windows versions I was talking about would still get full if you never updated windows. But yes, it had - just as the navigator on Tesla cars - an ever increasing datasets, a problem the developers did not foresee as they developed this system.

As I said in my last post, your statement was not all false, but it was incorrect in the way you wrote it. If you had wrote: "If you had a set piece of absolutely bug free software that never updates, with a limited dataset to manage and adequate hardware then there should never been a lag time greater than then the system was first installed" it would be more correct :)

The Tesla Model 3 touchscreen *must* include faster HW. They're not putting in Tegra 3 - they're just not.

Therefore, we should see some new touchscreen HW on MS and MX this year.
(No way Tesla is rolling out brand spanking new 100k model S/X with 5 years old graphics HW, at the same time equipping their low budget model with the latest tech.)
But even if they provide faster HW in the M3, and have no lagginess or latency out of the factory, a few software updates later the hardware will become laggy, just like every touchscreen ipad or phone ever built.
This doesn't happen with physical buttons and switches in a normal car, therefore this new technology is inferior to the cheaper technology it is replacing. Being "more awesome" straight from the factory doesn't outweigh being less functional and laggy 10 years later.

But even if they provide faster HW in the M3, and have no lagginess or latency out of the factory, a few software updates later the hardware will become laggy, just like every touchscreen ipad or phone ever built.
This doesn't happen with physical buttons and switches in a normal car, therefore this new technology is inferior to the cheaper technology it is replacing. Being "more awesome" straight from the factory doesn't outweigh being less functional and laggy 10 years later.
Again this has nothing to do with physical buttons or the touchscreen itself, just with the software. You can have an infotainment system with no touchscreen (only buttons or with that dial thing some of them have in the central console) and if it is update-able, it'll still be susceptible to lag as it ages.

Reactions: JeffK
Again this has nothing to do with physical buttons or the touchscreen itself, just with the software. You can have an infotainment system with no touchscreen (only buttons or with that dial thing some of them have in the central console) and if it is update-able, it'll still be susceptible to lag as it ages.

Then that's an excellent argument against having an updatable car. Hard to even call it an "up" date if it LOWERS the performance or responsiveness of your vehicle.

But that's the treadmill tech companies want us to run on now: Buy the newest hardware, force you to update software over and over again til your hardware can't handle it anymore, forcing you to buy new hardware and start again. It's annoying enough with phones and laptops, with cars it will become infuriating, as well as ecologically destructive.

Sure you'll say they don't "force" you to update, but effectively they do, by eliminating support for older software.

Last edited:
View attachment 223180 View attachment 223181

For those that don't recall or weren't here, the Model X prototype looked like this. Looks really similar to the Model 3 cabin from the reveal but the final product certainly looks more integrated.
Can't integrate the screen in the manner of Model X without raising the dash significantly. Unlikely change considering we're at release candidate not prototype.

You are making a blanket assertion about all touchscreen devices. If you have a touchscreen on, say, a simple appliance, it will not magically become laggy over time. Likewise even on a smart device if you had a real time OS and programmed interrupts correctly then even if there's something else processing a large dataset, you shouldn't have lag for UI elements or buttons acting as switches. Currently Tesla isn't using a real time OS, and they are using underpowered hardware. As for Tesla navigation, they could solve that problem by chunking the data and loading on demand.
Oh god, I really really hope Tesla doesn't go the planned obsolescence route. OTA updates mean more advanced software over time that could become too advanced for the hardware (looks like it already is). We deal with that kinda bullcrap every year on an $800 phone, and that's one thing, but on a $35k car? Tesla could have us by the balls here.

Reactions: slipnslider
I think the Cadillac "Super Cruise" option got the "spaceship controls" Elon promised M3. LED auto steer indicator imbedded in steering wheel, and facial tracking camera on top of steering column to monitor drivers attention to the road.

View attachment 223350
...but does it turn red and go back and forth Cylon / Knight Rider style?