Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh hell naw!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Compared to the model 3 interior these are hideous monstrosities.

There is certainly nothing wrong with Tesla's simplistic design ethos, if the execution (quality) and practicality are similarly great. History has seen issues with the former and many have cast reasonable doubts about the latter.

The execution and practicality of the competion interiors are pretty much flawless. Tesla, on the other hand, has a very mixed history on this.

That said, I am hard-pressed to find a 15" bog standard computer screen protruding from the dash - with none to minimal design effort to make it blend in - anything other than a monstrosity in itself.

It is even more design by procurement than on the Model S/X.

I'm not driving a car with a Prius looking interior.
That looks ugly.

Tesla does not build weird mobiles. This Screen would make Model 3 a weird mobile, so this will not be the final screen.

I like this one the best:
Mercedes E Class concept. Widescreen landscape screen that shows both driver info and entertainment/nav/settings.

+1, looks awesome and it would fit perfectly into the Model 3 dashboard.

I think such a display is much more likely than the prototype abomination.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
I couldn't care less how the dash looks, and I've been fine with the "floating" display since the reveal.
Just an observation - not specifically aimed at you, but this post was a bit into what I have observed.

I find it a bit funny how some people here are hung up on details of the exterior of the car, especially the front and rear, but do not care about "how the dash looks". When I buy a car, it is to drive it. And the thing I will be staring at for hours and hours is exactly the dash/interior, not the front end or the rear end or anything exterior to the car. ;) So yes, I do care more about how the dash/interior looks and feels then the exterior. With that said, I do not mind a minimalistic interior, but I do mind overdoing it - in both directions.

I like this one the best:
2017-Meredes-Benz-E-Class-Interior58-1031x720.jpg

Mercedes E Class concept. Widescreen landscape screen that shows both driver info and entertainment/nav/settings.
Mercedes E Class concept.

Just an observation - not specifically aimed at you, but this post was a bit into what I have observed.

I find it a bit funny how some people here are hung up on details of the exterior of the car, especially the front and rear, but do not care about "how the dash looks". When I buy a car, it is to drive it. And the thing I will be staring at for hours and hours is exactly the dash/interior, not the front end or the rear end or anything exterior to the car. ;) So yes, I do care more about how the dash/interior looks and feels then the exterior. With that said, I do not mind a minimalistic interior, but I do mind overdoing it - in both directions.

I have to really think about what the dash looks like on the two cars we do have, to recall any details. When I'm behind the wheel I'm looking out the windshield, and checking mirrors, with a glance at the speedo. I just don't really take the dash in. I don't even change the radio station or the volume, it's set to my preferred station and I don't really deviate from it.

I do tend to look at the outside of the vehicle as I'm walking up to it, though with the LEAF it's usually a "I really need to wash this ugly car," kind of way. However, the outside of the vehicle is what everyone else will see, so I think it's understandable that many are focused on the exterior.

Reactions: tracksyde
Tesla does not build weird mobiles. This Screen would make Model 3 a weird mobile, so this will not be the final screen.

+1, looks awesome and it would fit perfectly into the Model 3 dashboard.

I think such a display is much more likely than the prototype abomination.
Give it up. We've seen the release candidates and the screen is the same or at least very similar to the alpha build.

I have to really think about what the dash looks like on the two cars we do have, to recall any details. When I'm behind the wheel I'm looking out the windshield, and checking mirrors, with a glance at the speedo. I just don't really take the dash in. I don't even change the radio station or the volume, it's set to my preferred station and I don't really deviate from it.

I do tend to look at the outside of the vehicle as I'm walking up to it, though with the LEAF it's usually a "I really need to wash this ugly car," kind of way. However, the outside of the vehicle is what everyone else will see, so I think it's understandable that many are focused on the exterior.
First - don't understand me like it is anything wrong with been picky about the exterior of the car. That is all ok. It is that people is very picky about every small detail of the exterior - and at the same time don't seems to care at all about what will be in front of them all the time they are using it. (And again, I'm not picking on you especially!).

I do very well remember exactly how the dash and interior on both of my cars is. Every time I'm going for a drive, I do - as you - see the exterior of the car as I walk toward it, then I sit in, and see the IC, starts the car, check the dash for any warnings/errors and fuel gauge/GOM. When everything seems to be OK, I look outside and start to drive. Then while I drive, I do mostly look outside - just like you (and I hope most drivers) - but every now and then I glance down to check that everything is OK. Am I speeding? Or have I dropped below the speed limit (is that why I overtook the car in front/was overtaken by the car behind?)? Do I still have sufficient fuel/range? Any warnings? I feel hot/cold, what are the temperature settings? It is dark and I'm seeing a car driving in the opposite direction, is my high beam on or off? It's foggy, did I turn on the (rear) fog light? The road is wet, and it's kind of cold, is it close to freezing temperature outside so I have to take care for the possibility for ice on the road? What's the time of day? Will I be there on time? And so on...

The two most enjoyable interiors I have had were an audi from the early 90s and a BMW from the early 2000s. Both were without visual clutter and gave the interior a continuous visual connection from driver's side to passenger side making the interior seem spacious. In my opinion newer Audis and Mercedes have much more visual clutter in the middle of the dash that distract from the continuous open feel, but of course are still very nice.

Definitely not a car with a DIY tablet attachment - like contraption that can vibrate freely.

That's the persistent fear: reliability. My signature shows why this is a concern for Tesla on their first iterations of the Model 3.

Tesla doesn't have the best track record on displays randomly rebooting on their $100k+-optioned cars. What can we expect on their $45k-optioned car?

Will the screen move to adjust for glare? But, if it moves, how strongly does it lock-in-position or will a bump in the road make it annoying wobble so you constantly have to fiddle with it? Rearview mirrors figured this out, but they're also much smaller and have a smaller moment of inertia.

At night: with the screen so upfront, is it going to upset our or our passenger's night vision?

Nothing fatalistic meant. Just thoughts to munch on; I have (some) faith in Tesla.

----

Will it be like the Model S? After all the reviews mentioned "not enough cup holders and interior compartments", finally a few months later Tesla added more cup holders and the center compartment. What can we expect to be added/removed/updated to the Model 3, from 2017 models and 2018 models (years used for clarity).

Or, are they so production-constrained, no new non-safety updates until they work through the backlog?