Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh, Model 3, Where Art Thou?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So during my afternoon commute last Wednesday, my 2000 Honda Accord bit the dust. Literally smoke everywhere and it puked oil and coolant all over the road. Only 252,000 miles but a lot of them were during my high school days and I ran it pretty hard. I can't complain too much as it has been a good car but the timing really puts me in a dilemma. I was planning on the Accord making it until Model 3 arrives which we know is at least 1.25 years out and likely more for us East coasters. I do have a backup vehicle (truck) that I can drive but can't haul the kids around in it so it's not a viable interim solution. I really hate the thought of dropping cash on an ICE and kissing my Model 3 savings goodbye. At the same time I'm afraid going with a CPO MS will end up being a bad investment since I could only swing a 2012 or 2013 without Autopilot. I have my eye on this P85D but it's really well outside of my budget; however, the longer I look at the CPO site the closer I get to pulling the trigger. Talk me off the ledge... :)

85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H26EFP65675 | Tesla

Think with the head not the heart. I've given up checking the CPO site altogether. I plan to lease the m3 because it's tech and it's a new model, first gen, first year of production. Until then I will happily drive my car that has no payments while I try to invest $500 a month my theoretical payment.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Think with the head not the heart. I've given up checking the CPO site altogether. I plan to lease the m3 because it's tech and it's a new model, first gen, first year of production. Until then I will happily drive my car that has no payments while I try to invest $500 a month my theoretical payment.

That was me until the Accord died. Now I have to come up with an interim solution. :(

Reactions: Red Sage
A 2012 or 2013 model S may not be a bad idea. The depreciation will be less year to year. A lot of stuff has been replaced on my model S, but no problems lately. I took a deep breath when we crossed the 50,000 mile mark since I did not opt for the extended warranty. So far so good.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I agree with Garsh. I currently am in a similar situation. I have a 2003 Honda Accord EX 6spd with 230,000 and my clutch is starting to show some wear and the timing belt, waterpump are due very soon. I hoping that my honda will last. However, if she dies on me I will probably get a 2004-2007 Acura TL. Very reliable and very nice cars. You can find them for $3,500-$7,500 depending on miles, condition, auto/manual. Just make sure all of the service has been done and you should be good to go. When your Model 3 gets here you should have no difficulty getting most or all your money back. Heck, you might make money :cool:. There are a ton of people that want a luxury import for around 5k. Acura TL's will always bring good money when they are in good shape. Search around you might stumble upon a good deal and buy yourself some time. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I know this car pretty well.

So, as suggested above, what is the possibility of rebuilding / replacing the Honda's engine? How is the rest of the car?

I faced the same dilemma a few years ago, when the head on my 1994 Acura Integra with 200k mi on it sprung a leak and blew much of the coolant out of the engine. Ended up putting a salvage engine in ($6k, when all the dust settled; should have been a bit less). The alternative was to get a new car of some variety, but nothing really hit me as "right". Roll forward a couple of years, and the Integra is gone, replaced with a Tesla Roadster. Never would have been able to get the Roadster if there was a new car in the garage.

Last month I got a 2013 Leaf with only 12k miles on it for $9700. It's basically brand new, and I love driving it. Not as much as I loved driving the Model S and X on my test drives, but I still enjoy it. Also not the most beautiful car, but I replaced my 2009 Honda Fit that had 113k miles on it and the difference was $4k. I'll pass it down to my son when he turns 16 in 18 months, assuming I have my Model 3 already.

You can get higher mileage Leafs (Leaves?) for even less, but I wanted the full range and warranty for a while.

Squeaks, rattles, spotty build and material quality and range issues, yes. I have not (yet) had the worn ball joint or rocking seat issues, though I'm not quite at the 33,000 miles that C/D put on their car.
I have never leased a car in my life. I usually pay for them cash or finance them shortly. I'm very excited for my Model 3 but I'm seriously considering leasing because of quality issues and not wanting the car out of warranty. I'm a long time buyer Japanese cars which have been bulletproof.

Reactions: Red Sage
I have to vote for the used Prius, too -- mine is an '07 with a bit over 360,000 miles on it, and it still runs great. Toyotas from that era were tanks. You could probably sell one of my vintage for about what you paid for it, and you could put the gas savings toward the Model 3 kitty. When delivery time comes, I plan to sell mine to pay for installing a charger.

Reactions: Neohippy
Leasing the M3 might not be a bad idea. I am not a fan of leasing, however the reasons you stated are legit.

I have to vote for the used Prius, too -- mine is an '07 with a bit over 360,000 miles on it, and it still runs great. Toyotas from that era were tanks. You could probably sell one of my vintage for about what you paid for it, and you could put the gas savings toward the Model 3 kitty. When delivery time comes, I plan to sell mine to pay for installing a charger.
Have you ever changed the battery in your Prius?