Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh No, My Paint!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I encountered exactly the same problem on the lower aft flared section of both FWDs on my DEC 2017 MX (Deep Blue Metallic). Identical damage to photos uploaded in previous posts. Mileage just 3500 miles on tarmac surfaces. Local TESLA SC agreed that it was not acceptable and authorised respray of both FWDs under warranty. This has just been completed however, I fully expect it to be a reoccurring problem, as it is clearly a design/paint quality issue. Therefore, I am having both FWDs wrapped with XPEL and ceramic paint protection applied overall as I suspect that I will not get another respray!

Have asked TESLA SC about splash guards but they say there are none. So I am going for the Scandanavian versions and am confident that due to their location, immediately aft of the front wheels, that the loss of aero efficiency, due form drag, will be minimal. Most likely, the effect on range so small that a 5 knot tailwind will negate any penalty. Did you think about that?

I do intend to keep the pressure on TESLA, as I consider this a basic design failing that could easily have been anticipated and a fix should be designed and supplied by them. I suggest that you all formally register the same with your local SC.

Overall, it is still a great car. But Keep Pushing and it will be better still!

I encountered exactly the same problem on the lower aft flared section of both FWDs on my DEC 2017 MX (Deep Blue Metallic). Identical damage to photos uploaded in previous posts. Mileage just 3500 miles on tarmac surfaces. Local TESLA SC agreed that it was not acceptable and authorised respray of both FWDs under warranty. This has just been completed however, I fully expect it to be a reoccurring problem, as it is clearly a design/paint quality issue. Therefore, I am having both FWDs wrapped with XPEL and ceramic paint protection applied overall as I suspect that I will not get another respray!

Have asked TESLA SC about splash guards but they say there are none. So I am going for the Scandanavian versions and am confident that due to their location, immediately aft of the front wheels, that the loss of aero efficiency, due form drag, will be minimal. Most likely, the effect on range so small that a 5 knot tailwind will negate any penalty. Did you think about that?

I do intend to keep the pressure on TESLA, as I consider this a basic design failing that could easily have been anticipated and a fix should be designed and supplied by them. I suggest that you all formally register the same with your local SC.

Overall, it is still a great car. But Keep Pushing and it will be better still!

The only solution would be to add mud flaps. The flared doors would require a major redesign and cosmetic change to the car.

I have the same issues with paint chips :( Prevailing in the FWD but also on the front doors. I spoke to my local SC when I noticed it and they won't touch it saying it's normal wear/tear (7500miles) so I've elevated the issue to Tesla. They haven't been able to resolve it either (I'm still hoping cause they gave me a quote to repaint over $5k). In the mean time I did order the Mr Color Chip and have tried it on one FWD (followed the road rash YouTube guides). It's definitely diminished the looks of the chips. I'm also going to have the lower section wrapped after I finish the touch ups (which my local PPF guy did a test section which further diminished the look). I guess at some point, everyone has to face the fact that our cars won't be new forever. I'll post some before / afters when I get a chance.