Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh No, My Paint!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked at your photos you linked to. I'm not blaming you for all that paint damage, but your photo shows your car on a gravel surface and yet you posted "I haven't driven in any gravel". Which I find confusing.

Your paint damage certainly does seem unusual. The only solution I see is to repaint the entire door and then put film over it.

So my question is, are there any ultrasonic sensors in the X front doors and will covering them with a film interfere with their operation?

The gravel is in my driveway. It is only a 30' long and... since it is a very narrow driveway (with cats frequently blocking they way!!) I drive very, very slowly. There is really no chance that the chips came from my driveway.

No way that's normal use. I've seen a handful of 15k+ miles MX and never seen anything close to that. I didn't notice protection on those cars. The only time I hear rocks hitting my side is when I'm turning on loose gravel.

The pictures uploaded were taken on gravel o_O... Possible that when turning and accelerating on gravel, rocks get kicked up.

Definitely normal city/highway use, I have never driven on gravel (except very slowly on my short driveway). Interestingly, someone in Norway posted the exact same issue on their blue MX yesterday on Facebook. I almost thought they were my photos, since the chips look identical!

Definitely normal city/highway use, I have never driven on gravel (except very slowly on my short driveway). Interestingly, someone in Norway posted the exact same issue on their blue MX yesterday on Facebook. I almost thought they were my photos, since the chips look identical!

You might stop after pulling off of your driveway and check the front tires. Gravel can get stuck in the grooves (especially while driving at slow speed) then fly off at high speed.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
The front doors do not have sensors. Only the FWDs. And while film likely won't interfere with the sensors, they could (but so far it seems everyone wraps without issue). I've also heard that the paint on the FWDs is purposely thinner to help avoid sensor issues.

I have full front and all doors wrapped and haven't had any issues with the sensors.

• Informative
Reactions: TechVP and boaterva
I have all these little linear chips in my paint on the back of my falcon wing doors where they flare out. I haven't driven in any gravel.... just normal California winter driving. It looks like the front tires fling debris up toward the doors and that little flared section on the FWD catches it with enough force to damage the paint. Has anyone else seen this on their MX? Would mud flaps help? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to touch up the paint?

Sorry, for some reason TMC won't let me upload images today, will try to post some later.

Well my P90DL in black has all of the same plus more paint damage. Yes we had a difficult winter here in Vancouver but this is unacceptable paint wear for a car driven only 6000miles. My 8 year old Porsche Cayanne with over 70k on it has no such paint damage and looks a lot better. I'm now waiting to have a serious discussion about this with Tesla and expect them to repair not only the paint but the plastic molding around the wheel that has discoloured as the pictures show.

Attachments

• IMG_20170420_1801374.jpg
    IMG_20170420_1801374.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_20170420_1802000.jpg
    IMG_20170420_1802000.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20170420_1802192.jpg
    IMG_20170420_1802192.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 255
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Well my P90DL in black has all of the same plus more paint damage. Yes we had a difficult winter here in Vancouver but this is unacceptable paint wear for a car driven only 6000miles. My 8 year old Porsche Cayanne with over 70k on it has no such paint damage and looks a lot better. I'm now waiting to have a serious discussion about this with Tesla and expect them to repair not only the paint but the plastic molding around the wheel that has discoloured as the pictures show.

Which panels is that? Just the FWDs? Or front doors also? I'm wrapping my car Monday, and may do more if the paint is this bad.

I wonder why more owners haven't reported such damage?

Oh my, that looks terrible, I am so sorry that happened to your new car, automotive paint should not be this fragile. This is starting to look like a widespread problem... my guess is that most people with Model X's probably have similar paint damage, but haven't noticed it yet. If you have a Model X, take a look at the flared portion of the FWD's and see if you have chipped paint as well.

Some one recently posted the same damage to the Model X club on Facebook as well.

That's a shame. I have 17,000 miles on NJ roads and no such damage, with the exception of a few chips on the leading edge of the FWD which sticks out a little from the rear edge of the front door (slightly misaligned). My problem is that Tesla never offered Titanium touch-up paint and certainly won't now that it is discontinued. I was able to find some after-market touch-up that is a good match.

I contacted my service center and they advanced my paint chipping issue to engineering.... hopefully they won't say the paint is "within tolerance"

Very interested to hear the response. I am having a slightly different issue as the paint is turning matte. We have other cars under the same environmental conditions that have no noticeable paint finish change. Here is the my post on the
issue: Paint starting to turn Matte on rear wheel well tips after 15k miles

Last edited:
That is BAD. But why is your plastic trim all white?

Great question, I don't know why it is white, but if you look at Kari's photo in this stream you will see the same whiteness on his wheel well trim... from road wash, I suppose. Here is an image that is not as macro so you can see that the whiteness is not as bad as it looks in the close up shot, but you can still see the chipping is very bad. I am really bummed this is happening to my paint, I've taken meticulous care of it and now this. :(

IMG_1675.jpg

I drove 50-60 km/h on a dirt road this weekend with the suspension in high mode and the doors have the same kind of paint damages. The problem is not the paint, the front wheels are spraying the FWDs with small stones when the car is highered. The plastic trim looks terrible. Visited the SC today and reported the problem as a design/engineering issue. Have a friend at Volvo Cars and he confirm that there are always discussions between the designers and engineers how to handle this problem.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna