Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh! So close Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in March, I decided I wanted to replace my 2018 Model S 100D. A great car. I wanted something new. I placed an order for a long-range Blue with 21" wheels for a new 2021 Model S. I guessed that delivery would take a while.

I wasn't disappointed. The car was originally scheduled for August but was changed, with no urging on my part, to June 30 (Quarter-end?). June ends with the car still in California. With the 4th of July holidays, I figured another week later was not a big deal. The car arrived at the Superior Tesla Store last Friday, July 16. The Store went through hoops to schedule delivery for that afternoon.

Great! I clean out my 2018 to trade-in. Two hours before the appointment, I get a call from Tesla. The car cannot be delivered because it has a "Factory Hold, with no ETA." I'm kinda stunned. I think they must have dropped the car or something like that. I see the car this morning. Visually it looks perfect under its traveling protection. What or why would there be a Factory Hold? I can only guess to say that either a hardware or a software issue. Does anyone have a better guess?

It started after an adjustment to the door handle. The first time it happened was in my garage the second and third time also in my garage in front of the tech. The tech did something he thought to fix it. The next time occurred while the car was in drive but stopped at a red light. After that experience I went directly to the service center which, luckily, was only few miles away.

RESOLVED

The solution was simple, and at the same time, it took some serious thinking and a complete understanding of the handle system by Daniel of Tesla service. I'm very impressed with Tesla's Service. They were quick to respond and find a quick solution with a brand new handle design.

The solution
The way the new retracting handles operate is different than the older design. In the new handles, what senses a request to open the door is a hall effect sensor. To work correctly, the hall effect sensor must be in the correct position to sense when to allow the door to open. When the tech unbolted the handle to remove some shims to adjust the handle correctly, the hall effect sensor was moved and loosened. Out of alignment, the hall sensor thought the handle was in a position to request to open the door.

The repair was to readjust the hall sensor. A lesson learned.