Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

oh so satisfying and just a little petty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PhilBa

Apr 20, 2013
Seattle
Got my red P85 today and have been doing the Tesla grin like a total fool.

Anyway, the story. I have a friend that owns a couple of auto dealerships. He makes way good money but has been talking about a lawsuit in WA against Tesla for some months now. He knew I was getting the MS and wanted to see it. I took him for a drive and it was clear he was totally jazzed by it. We did a quick hop on the freeway and I used the power to get up to speed pretty darn fast. He was shocked how powerful and smooth it was. He mumbled something about Corvettes being faster and so on but that really took the wind out of his sails. I felt kind of sorry for him because I think he expected to find all sorts of reasons to hate it. Yeah, a little petty but I am still chuckling about it.

You should point him to this video...
2013 Corvette vs. Tesla Model S

Or the M5...
[Video] Model S smokes BMW M5 in drag race - Blogs - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

Or the Viper...
Model S World's Quickest EV + Model S vs Viper SRT10 Drag Race - Page 5

And have him search youtube for every other drag race against the P85. There aren't too many with the Model S getting schooled by anyone.

It's always fun to reflect on one simple fact, that essentially a 4700 lb., third row (option), 7 passenger, station wagon can take a 2 seater Corvette. :)

has been talking about a lawsuit in WA against Tesla for some months now.
You didn't say what the lawsuit was about, so I'm guessing but...

I would have trouble keeping a "friend" like this. I don't care what you think about the car. "Beating them" (Tesla) through legal/political maneuvering rather than producing a better product is something I can't respect. As such, it would eat at the friendship.

You didn't say what the lawsuit was about, so I'm guessing but...

I would have trouble keeping a "friend" like this. I don't care what you think about the car. "Beating them" (Tesla) through legal/political maneuvering rather than producing a better product is something I can't respect. As such, it would eat at the friendship.

Agreed. Someday someone may make something to challenge the 'S' and if they do 'hats off to them'. I know I would not be in favor of tesla suing someone to keep them from being able to sell a better product.

I took him for a drive and it was clear he was totally jazzed by it. We did a quick hop on the freeway and I used the power to get up to speed pretty darn fast. He was shocked how powerful and smooth it was. He mumbled something about Corvettes being faster and so on but that really took the wind out of his sails. I felt kind of sorry for him because I think he expected to find all sorts of reasons to hate it. Yeah, a little petty but I am still chuckling about it.

The 'establishment' will come around. Great story. Every dealer owner should take a test drive and they would find a way to get on the TM bandwagon. I have to explain to friends that when they go into the Bellevue Square store that it is not a dealership and they don't try to sell anything. This is as much of a 'unicorn' in the same way that the product is.

He will always be a friend. We go back a ways and no piece of metal will ever come between us. He also gets that the internet changes the game. I think he would love to be a Tesla dealer but that's not happening.

He will always be a friend. We go back a ways and no piece of metal will ever come between us. He also gets that the internet changes the game. I think he would love to be a Tesla dealer but that's not happening.

Have a good talk with him about his goals and reasons going after Tesla then. Is it really that what Tesla is doing is unfair or that it threatens their business model so they are looking to shut them down? I'd suggest to him that by raising Tesla's profile, they are actually hurting themselves and inviting the BMWs, Mercedes and Ford's of the world to accelerate direct to consumer sales than if they left Tesla alone.

Last edited:
Have a good talk with him about his goals and reasons going after Tesla then. Is it really that what Tesla is doing is unfair or that it threatens their business model so they are looking to shut them down. I'd suggest to him that by raising Tesla's profile, they are actually hurting themselves and inviting the BMWs, Mercedes and Ford's of the world to accelerate direct to consumer sales than if they left Tesla alone.

No doubt. The NCADA just had a very public battle with Tesla here in NC. It was in all the papers and on the local news. The amount of people that were aware of the Tesla brand and products skyrocketed in short order. The change at work was amazing. I went from knowing 3 people that knew what Tesla was to literally everyone around me asking about them because they read about the legislative battle in the paper.

In the end NCADA lost the fight, and handed Tesla a tremendous amount of free (and almost all positive) press.