Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh the irony

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else find it funny that even though we are/will be driving around with the hugest and most tricked out rechargeable battery ever made, we're of no use to our neighbor whose pickup's battery has died and needs a jump.

I suppose we could use one of those cigarette lighter booster gizmos. Will my Model 3 even have one of those?

The day I picked up my 2013 CPO MS, I went back to work and right before I was going to leave for the day a co-worker stops by and asks if I can give him a jump, I looked right at him and said: "I can't, I don't have a battery, well I do but I it's not reachable" him knowing that I had a Toyota Camry just looked at me with a blank stare. I then told him I just picked up my new/old car, a Tesla!!! LoL

Does anyone else find it funny that even though we are/will be driving around with the hugest and most tricked out rechargeable battery ever made, we're of no use to our neighbor whose pickup's battery has died and needs a jump.

I suppose we could use one of those cigarette lighter booster gizmos. Will my Model 3 even have one of those?
I also find it funny that cars with massive batteries still need a separate 12v battery to start and function.

The day I picked up my 2013 CPO MS, I went back to work and right before I was going to leave for the day a co-worker stops by and asks if I can give him a jump, I looked right at him and said: "I can't, I don't have a battery, well I do but I it's not reachable" him knowing that I had a Toyota Camry just looked at me with a blank stare. I then told him I just picked up my new/old car, a Tesla!!! LoL

In a way, it's kind of a shame that the 12V batteries on the MS and MX aren't more accessible and easy to change. From what I've been reading, they don't seem to last any longer than batteries in ICE cars. But at least they're smaller and cost more.o_O

Would have been nice if there was a way to use the car's main battery to power household items in the case of a power outage.
The new electric WORKHORSE truck has a big utility outlet so that it can be used to power tools on a construction site.
And the chevy volt can be used to do exactly what you're describing, but I think it might require a little rigging.

Of course they would not need a jump if they owned an EV ;)

I had a similar encounter many years ago with my Prius when someone asked if I could jump-start his car. Rather than try to explain and show that the 12v battery is tucked away in the trunk and inaccessible without tools, I just said the hybrid's high voltage battery is incompatible and would fry his car's battery if we attempted a jump start. I suggested he check with other car owners in the parking lot or the auto parts store at the corner of the mall.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
Here's the exact thing! Why buy a powerwall, if your car can run the place in the evening, then recharge after you go to bed?

The powerwall can charge up from solar during the day while you're at work?

Alternatively, those who are lucky enough to be able to charge at work will no doubt reduce in number as employers find they are not only covering their employees travel but also their employees' families' homes!

In today's very annoyingly politically correct world, they are no longer called "cigarette lighters", they are now "12 volt power outlets".

Doesn't sound unreasonable, considering that's exactly how they've been used for the last decade.

2 to 3 decades, really.
In fact cars often don't even come with a cigarette lighter anymore (nor an ashtray), they're just an empty socket or have a cap. And some cars like minivans have multiple outlets. "12 volt power outlet" is an accurate descriptor.

Surely there's a way to tap in safely.

.... yeah... like firewired said...

there's a relay for the contactor to engage the main battery. Otherwise high voltage from the main battery would be live even when the car is off, if I am to understand correctly.

The 100kWh packs seem to have a direct 12V feed already.

There's a DC-DC converter that unless it's been redesigned does a pretty poor job of maintaining the voltage on the 12v. Accurately controlling ~400v => ~12v is apparently challenging. If there is a new DC-DC converter that does a better job then I want one because the one I have now is crap.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and ikjadoon