Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oh well...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure why people are complaining... it was never going to have all the bells and whistles for $35k. That was a fantasy.

The base model based on all the driving reviews I read will still be fantastic.

The only thing that surprises me is the $5k for EAP... I thought that'd be a little lower.
Yeah, I really thought the software would be $1 off or something, after all the 'we won't charge the same as the S and X, that was to subsidize the 3' blah blah talk.

I'm not sure why people are complaining... it was never going to have all the bells and whistles for $35k. That was a fantasy.

The only thing that surprises me is the $5k for EAP... I thought that'd be a little lower.
Same here. I was hoping I could just get the audio upgrade for about $1k.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18

I don't think anyone (or general consensus) is really complaining about the car and features itself, it was just the presentation lacked any really meaningful details other than right at the end with the slide that showed the specs between the two cars. I don't think we really needed to be told about the logistics and challenges of ramping up production, blah, blah, blah..I wasn't expecting a complete walk-through but at least tout some of the features.

Overall, it fell pretty flat for me and exactly reminded me of the X handover which was little more than hand waving and smoke and mirrors to appease investors and customers. It was not quite ready for prime-time. The 3 seems be in that state as well. I just expected more after 16 months. Again, not so much with the car and features, just in the overall presentation.

What about slower charging speeds? That's not good too.
That was expected.
Smaller battery packs charge more slowly on superchargers. This is true on the 70 vs 90 Model S, and it is still the case for the smaller Model 3 battery pack.

People made fantasy laden guesses, based their expectations on those fantasies and now are surprised at the reality.

I'm thrilled with the reveal, and the large amount of information made available in their press kit.
Do I want more, of course, but this was a very nice start.

Reactions: Zoomit and davidc18
So you wanted the audio, other people just want the motorized seats and I just want the heated mirrors and heated seats.

Hmm.
Actually, now that I think about it, if you start comparing to a Chevy Bolt, you get similar pricing and options but a crummier car and no supercharging network. Tesla wins.

It reminds me of the story of two campers who get charged by a bear. One starts tying his shoes. The other comments that it's futile because he can't out run a bear. He replies, "I don't have to outrun the bear. I only have to outrun you."

The Model 3's only competition is the Bolt. And the Bolt is the slow camper with no shoes.

It's very important info for Tesla to help manage expectations. This is a PR event, and a support/empathy event for the team (most of audience are involved with production).
Anyone who probably doesn't realize by now what expectations should be must be living under a rock. However, maybe my perspective is skewed as a regular follower and poster here. But I think Tesla has been saying pretty much the same story on deliveries and expectations for the last year.

If you expected a rock concert with lasers (and possibly with cats having lasers), this was not going to be it. If you expect a mass market EV, which handles like a 3-series bmw or alfa guilia then this is was your presentation.

For most of us, an M3 is going to be a great car. I know since i drove a mercedes c-350 for 9 years and 196,000 miles, and it didn't have any lasers...

Um, no, it doesn't.. :D Can you be a *little* more precise?
My takeaway: It's a nice $50,000 car, with a few "issues" that matter to me. Bundling the longer range battery with the premium package is one of them. Delivery dates are fine, even for a base model. Interior space looks fine. Even the screen looks fine. The phone app access (with backup card swipe) is just about a disqualifier. Don't know if there will be an aftermarket fix for that.
Robin

My takeaway: It's a nice $50,000 car, with a few "issues" that matter to me. Bundling the longer range battery with the premium package is one of them. Delivery dates are fine, even for a base model. Interior space looks fine. Even the screen looks fine. The phone app access (with backup card swipe) is just about a disqualifier. Don't know if there will be an aftermarket fix for that.
Robin

As far as I know, the bundling is only for the "launch" edition of the Model 3. At some future date, it will be unbundled. Elon said something a while back about having a single launch configuration available to help streamline production that would deliver most quickly, and it makes sense that this would be the car with the best margins.

Reactions: transpondster