Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohio Infrastructure Tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in the State of Ohio, the state legislature has passed a mandatory tax increase to pay for infrastructure repairs and improvements. This tax began Jul 1, 2019; The tax on gasoline is 10 cents per gallon, added at the pump. But for PEVs and EVs, the tax goes to $100/yr for PEVs and $200/yr for EVs, like my Tesla Model 3 AWD, It is collected when you renew your registration every year.

On the surface, it sounds reasonable because gasoline taxes are used for infrastructwe owners did not pay road use taxes at the gas pump.befoure, and P/EVs don't use as much or no gasoline at all. As a user of the infrastructure, I don't mind paying my fair share for its maintenance. But when you do a simple back-of-the-envelope calculation, it becomes obvious that the Great State of Ohio is engaging in unfair taxation. Assuming a traditionally powered car, getting 28/mpg, used 15,000 miles/yr, It comes out to about $50-$60/yr in extra taxes. We EV owners are coughing up S200/yr to the state. To me, at least, Having to pay 4 times more tax than a traditionally powered vehicle is discriminatory, The average EV impacts the infrastructure the same as any other car on the road, in terms of wear and tear.

It can certainly be interpreted that this $200 EV tax was not determined through any rigorous study, but rahter pulled out of thin air by politicians who understand nothing about EV's (or simple math), Or pherhaps its just another way for governments to pull in more revenue. I suspect its both, and as an EV owner, I am not amused. Is anyone else encountering this?

Reactions: RubberToe
After the tax increase, Ohio tax at the pump is actually 38.5 cents per gallon now! While I agree that $200 is rather high, it is closer, certainly not 4 times higher than what an average car owner will be paying.

Of course, it's rather unfair to have a flat road tax regardless of the mileage driven. Perhaps it would be best to make the tax proportional to the mileage. But since EV's don't go through regular E-Check inspections, who would track mileage for the state?

I think a bigger issue is that Ohio doesn't offer any EV incentives. That's truly unfortunate and rather short-sighted.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsmay311
After the tax increase, Ohio tax at the pump is actually 38.5 cents per gallon now! While I agree that $200 is rather high, it is closer, certainly not 4 times higher than what an average car owner will be paying.

Of course, it's rather unfair to have a flat road tax regardless of the mileage driven. Perhaps it would be best to make the tax proportional to the mileage. But since EV's don't go through regular E-Check inspections, who would track mileage for the state?

I think a bigger issue is that Ohio doesn't offer any EV incentives. That's truly unfortunate and rather short-sighted.

I participated in a California pilot project a couple years ago to log EV mileage using a device that connected to the diagnostic port. Lots of privacy concerns, but something like that would work.

RT

Ohio's total tax on gasoline sales is $0.385/gallon.

To match the $200 fee levied on a a BEV, an Ohio ICE driver would have to use 519.5 gallons of fuel. The average fuel economy for passenger vehicles in the USA (both new sales and the much larger fleet of existing cars) is around 22 mpg, and since Ohio is the quintessential "average" stage, we can assume that applies to Ohio. So they would have to drive 11,429 miles in a year to equal the $200 EV fee.

The average person in the US drives 13,500 miles in a year, so an ICE driver would pay $236 in Ohio gas tax.

Seems fair to me. And I say that as an Ohioan who lost two tires and bent two rims on these dilapidated roads.