Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohio Proposed EV Ownership Fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From an EV driiver colleague: "The Ohio governor signed into law a new transportation bill that raises fuel/diesel taxes effective July 1. For those able to renew plates before July 1 and planning to keep their cars for several years, you might want to buy a tag of up to 5 years saving a bunch of Benjamins."

I will enter the 90 day advance registration period in a few days and probably try this.

From an EV driiver colleague: "The Ohio governor signed into law a new transportation bill that raises fuel/diesel taxes effective July 1. For those able to renew plates before July 1 and planning to keep their cars for several years, you might want to buy a tag of up to 5 years saving a bunch of Benjamins."

I will enter the 90 day advance registration period in a few days and probably try this.
My tags are up first of August. I would be surprised if the new law did not address this somehow.

Here is the bill (House Bill 62) as passed:
http://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/solarapi/v1/general_assembly_133/bills/hb62/EN/06?format=pdf

Page 82 has the definitions for 'Plug-in electric motor vehicle' and 'Hybrid motor vehicle'
Page 87 has the fees and says they are imposed as of January 1, 2020.

Looks like it will be 4503.10(C)(3) and (4)
This section is where it will be (but it has NOT been updated yet):
Lawriter - ORC - 4503.10 Application for registration or renewal - transmission of fees - inspection certificates.

Here you can see the votes (Senate 22 yeas 10 nays House 70 yeas 27 nays):
House Bill 62 - Votes | The Ohio Legislature

Their definition of hybrid (see below) is not a 'plug-in hybrid' like the Volt but a car with batteries that can be recharged by the car itself (i.e. regenerative braking, etc).

A Volt would be considered a 'Plug-in electric motor vehicle' and pay $200 just like a fully-electric vehicle.

Something like the Civic Hybrid or Camry Hybrid (that do NOT plug-in and run 100% on gasoline) would be a 'Hybrid motor vehicle' and get to pay both the gasoline tax and an extra $100 (I guess for being too fuel efficient lol).

I wonder if this can be interpreted to mean any car with a 12v battery is a hybrid?

From page 82:
(DDD) "Plug-in electric motor vehicle" means a passenger car powered
wholly or in part by a battery cell energy system that can be recharged via
an external source of electricity.
(EEE) "Hybrid motor vehicle" means a passenger car powered by an
internal propulsion system consisting of both of the following:
(1) A combustion engine;
(2) A battery cell energy system that cannot be recharged via an external
source of electricity but can be recharged by other vehicle mechanisms that
capture and store electric energy.

The battery has to be part of the propulsion system to count as a hybrid. So, non-hybrids don't propel the car with it and don't count. Even "micro-hybrids" with stop-start and regenerative charging (charging only when needed or under braking, instead of constantly) don't count as they don't have any propulsion from the battery.

However, a weak 48 volt mild hybrid counts as equivalent to something like a Prius, despite massive disparities in fuel consumption.

Update: I was able to renew the registrations for both my EVs for 5 years - ~$300/car with no personalized plates.
2019-04-11_10-05-03.jpg