Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Especially, when you are in the 4th market in Ohio, such as Dayton. Now my service center will remain 80 miles away. I guess it could be worse. Sponsor of bill says they could revisit decision in the future. I guess a compromise is better than nothing.

It doesn't say anything about restricting number of service centers, so even with the mass market Model E, they could just deliver them by building more service centers. 3 is not great but better than nothing at least.

It doesn't say anything about restricting number of service centers, so even with the mass market Model E, they could just deliver them by building more service centers. 3 is not great but better than nothing at least.

That's a great thought. I guess I'll be happy with the compromise for now.

Ohio Tesla stores are in Cincinnati and Columbus with a new one coming to Cleveland. That's rather wide coverage in the state. I can't imagine restrictions to service centers, since there are many repair shops outside the dealerships of established manufacturers. I suspect that Elon has it figured that when this issue comes up again in a few years, the Tesla business model will be so well established in Ohio that an unlimited number of stores will be allowed.

Plus, a store in southern Michigan can easily cover the Toledo region. We have our toehold now, we can always work to make it better in the future. Us pro gun people went through a similar thing in ohio trying to get concealed carry to be legalized. We started with aan overly restrictive CCW law, just to get something on the books, and then, over the years, have worked to make it better. Ohio now has one of the best CCW laws in the country. It just takes time and effort, they key is not to ask for so much as first that the other side is unwilling to work with you at all. This deal gives Tesla a foothold, and in 5 years, when they are ready for more than 3 stores in Ohio, we will lots of data points of happy customers to make our point with, and adding more dealers will be a smaller challenge than it is now. I view this compromise as a major win for Tesla.

Plus, a store in southern Michigan can easily cover the Toledo region.

I wouldn't hold my breath on a MI store coming any time soon. About a year and a quarter ago, I talked with a Tesla rep who was originally from MI, and he seemed to indicate that MI was the last state Tesla would try to enter due to how restrictive the dealership laws were. That said, he had also indicated that TX would be the second-to-last state for the same reason, and then Tesla opened galleries a couple of months later, so consider the source.

Interesting development. I do think that this is a tactic on the dealers' part to try to forestal a wholesale destruction of their cozy legal umbrella. They may have realized that the more this gains traction in the media and public opinion, the more they are vulnerable to losing the whole enchilada.