Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohlins DFV Coilover Kit Installed!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After earlier being a little snarky and telling someone they perhaps needed to brush up on their reading comprehension, I sure hope you are referring to being able to raise the car's ride height by adjusting the shocks!

I have my Ohlins set at 10mm higher than stock. Redwood told me I could easily go up to 1" if I wanted.
Redwood wrote me and said that they max out around stock height. That may be higher than Performance suspension, and about the same as the LR?

Had my new Ohlins Coilover Kit from Redwood Motorsports installed earlier this week. I decided to replace the Unplugged Performance kit that I had installed earlier this year. The UPP coilovers did provide a better ride quality than the stock suspension. But as soon as I found out the Ohlins Kit was available for the Model Y LR AWD I ordered it. I have owned a few BMW motorcycles through the years and most of them were Oilheads with the wishbone front suspension. I put Ohlins on all of them front and back immediately. Those shocks simply transformed those bikes into very cushy straight line machine and yet still held things together extremely well in the curves. Loved them.

The UPP kit did take a lot of the harshness out of the ride. And BTW, the folks at UPP could not have been nicer, friendlier or more knowledgeable during all our interactions!! But I was willing to bet the Ohlins would be better. And they are. Of course they should be better as they were about $1200 more than the UPP kit. I've been playing around getting them adjusted to my liking. This morning I reached the sweet spot (for me) of 8 clicks up from the softest setting. Happy guy now. Oh yeah, on a whim I had them setup 10mm above stock height.

BTW, I will be putting the UPP kit up for sale and a really good price. The kit has about 3,000 miles on it.
What size rim and tires are you running? I think I want this GT set as well. How's it feel in the softest setting?

Ok so 1" above stock is what we recommend for those looking to maintain compliance. You are able to set up the car with a 2 fist gap (roughly 4" lift) between the tire and fender if you really want, however this means the shock wont have much droop and wont ride as well as it would "normally".
for those of us who want just a comfy ride and maybe lower it 1" do we need anything else? any control arms etc? and do you have any installers in socal? southbay?

You don't need anything else for a mild drop. We are the only "certified" installers currently (located in Fremont). Although most premium performance shops should be able to complete the install. There isn't really anything too difficult about it compared to other vehicles. Its just time consuming, about 8hrs from start to finish.

Last edited:
You don't need anything else for a mild drop. We are the only "certified" installers currently (located in Fremont). Although most premium performance shops should be able to complete the install. There isn't really anything too difficult about it compared to other vehicles.
@RedwoodMotors Price to install ?
Also what's difference between Perf Sport, Grand Touring, and HPDE?

@RedwoodMotors Price to install ?
Also what's difference between Perf Sport, Grand Touring, and HPDE?
Perf Sport is for those who like to drive aggressively in the canyons or for the occasional track day, but don't want a full on track suspension. GT is the softest, most compliant kit we offer, ideal for those looking for a ride improvement over stock, yet keeping the body of the car more controlled over bigger undulations. HPDE is for those who track their cars and are looking for the most body control at the expense of a little ride comfort.

You don't need anything else for a mild drop. We are the only "certified" installers currently (located in Fremont). Although most premium performance shops should be able to complete the install. There isn't really anything too difficult about it compared to other vehicles. Its just time consuming, about 8hrs from start to finish.
You might need to define mild drop. I dropped my car 1" and needed adjustable camber arms on the rear to get it back into spec and the front is still out with the factory arms.

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
I’d love to figure out a place in Northern NJ to have any of them installed.
There didn't seem to be anyone in the Baton Rouge, LA area that could do a good install. I started going to all the repair shops that worked on upper end cars - Porsche, BMW, etc. The 3rd shop I went to suggested I check out Vinnie's Exotics. I had never heard of that shop prior to this. I called them and went by and spoke with Vinnie. I knew immediately that this was the place. They had dozens of Porsches and a handful of truly exotic cars, Lambo, Ferraris, etc. I printed out the Redwood Installation instructions and then made sure that Redwood knew about Vinnie's Exotics and it all worked out well. Vinnie did need to call Redwood and was immediately given the information he needed. The Redwood folks simply could not have been more helpful and pleasant to deal with. Good luck with yours.