Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohlins DFV Coilover Kit Installed!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone consider or have experience with the mountainpass sport coilovers? I never owned a KW brand suspension.

I have had Ohlins on my Evo and had to service them every 25k miles because the fronts would get a thunk noise from some internal parts wearing out. Any similar issues with the Ohlins for the tesla? Other than that the Ohlins on my Evo were very compliant over harsh bumps. I also paired them with Swift springs. I’m trying to decide whether to stick with Ohlins or try something different.

It would still be nice if anyone from Northern NJ chimed I’m with any recommendations of suspensions they’ve had installed abs where they got the work done. I’m the OP and that’s what I was looking for. LOL.
Just a guess, but these guess may take it on. They do high-end work.

Reactions: NJEV-Don
If you don't mind coming down to Central NJ, there's Redline Speed Worx in Green Brook.
Did you do anything to your MYP or M3LR suspension? I‘m just looking for a softer ride. On the highways it’s fine but on local roads the ride is very harsh. A ride to Central Jersey isn’t an issue. I’m just trying to figure out what I might want and where to buy it and have it installed. I was looking for local advice on those issues. Thank you for responding with potentially helpful information.

Did you do anything to your MYP or M3LR suspension? I‘m just looking for a softer ride. On the highways it’s fine but on local roads the ride is very harsh. A ride to Central Jersey isn’t an issue. I’m just trying to figure out what I might want and where to buy it and have it installed. I was looking for local advice on those issues. Thank you for responding with potentially helpful information.
Stock MYP suspension at the moment, but looking into the MPP setup. Last time I was at RSW, I asked them about the suspension install and they seemed confident about it (they are an authorized KW dealer). The price they quoted was reasonable, and they have the full suite of machines on hand for balance/alignment post install after the suspension settles.

They are my go-to shop for wheels/tires, and also back in my day when I was bringing in my euros for tunes and service.

You are 100% correct. I was having one of my "Dark" days. I have those 2 or 3 times per month ever since my wife of 54 year, 11 months and 17 days passed away on 5-17-2020. I should not have posted that. My comprehension is also ok, but I did stop reading the emails I get when someone DM's me. So I never even saw your message. Again, sorry for being a dick. I'm normally just an old fun loving hippy who loves cars, motorcycle, boats, bicycles and lawnmowers!!
Just read the exchange, lol talk about trolling. It seems that the first shot was the call out of you not replying to the DMs. U shouldn’t have to apologize for anything, your post was about a review not about selling your other coils. If you don’t reply to DMs you do you. At the end of the day you’re going to sell your item when you’re good and ready and should you not reply to anyone and just ghost everyone and sell elsewhere more power to you.
Had to double check the threads and you got a troll calling you out saying there wasn’t any responses to the DMs. LoL last I checked this post was about a coil over review not a post to sell.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
See my thread here. From what I've found, you have 3 major choices for a better ride, Unplugged Performance, Mountain Pass Performance and Redwood Motorsports for either replacement springs (OK) or coilovers (better). It's a question of how much you want to spend. I had email conversations with each of them, who all were very helpful. Based on those emails, you do not want replacement tophats that add NVH, nor do you want sway bars. I think any of the coilovers will give you the ride you want based on reading threads on the forum. It would be great if some independent people had done a comparison of all 3, but there is not. I have decided to go with Redwood, although they are more expensive, but it was a tough choice.

• Informative
Reactions: JonB65 and NJEV-Don
I gave you the wrong link to the thread I started. This is it here.

looks like I won't get it for a few more weeks.. can't wait! I lowered air pressure to 39 but it's still pretty rough. After these get installed (will lower also by 1"" I'll decide if I keep 19" wheels or go 20"
Several posts have reported that INCREASED air pressure results in a better ride. Can't hurt to try it.
My theory is the internal foam band on the stock Continental tire is kept more off the wheel with higher pressure. Theory! not fact...

It would be great if some independent people had done a comparison of all 3, but there is not.
Probably difficult to find since they are expensive purchases, and once installed, will probably remain there for the life of the vehicle. However I think there was one person who had MPP's and switched to Redwood's Ohlins DFV's.

I think it would be very helpful if we get three people, each with the different brand coilovers, all show up at one place and give compare/contrast rides to people who are interested in them -> I would love to see the difference in the other two companies (UPP and Redwood) first hand. Sure, all the coilovers would need to be adjusted to similar rates, but that wouldn't be too hard to do. The hardest part is the organized get-together.

Reactions: miracj
Probably difficult to find since they are expensive purchases, and once installed, will probably remain there for the life of the vehicle. However I think there was one person who had MPP's and switched to Redwood's Ohlins DFV's.

I think it would be very helpful if we get three people, each with the different brand coilovers, all show up at one place and give compare/contrast rides to people who are interested in them -> I would love to see the difference in the other two companies (UPP and Redwood) first hand. Sure, all the coilovers would need to be adjusted to similar rates, but that wouldn't be too hard to do. The hardest part is the organized get-together.
@P3D-R Has extensive experience with all 3 brands

I got the GT kit. They are way better than the UPP kit. There's a local road that has two massive bumps. In the right lane there an asphalt repair that was obviously done with a shovel without first leveling the concrete underneath the repair. It had two large broken section of concrete. So the repair is as rough or rougher than the original bump. I used to slow down to 45 or so before going over that bump. I can now take those bumps at the speed limit of 55. The Model Y now takes those bumps as good as my wife's LS430. Now on very small bumps the LS430 still gets the nod easily. But never the less, I now go out and spent a day running about doing various errands and not once all day do I have very negative thoughts about my car's suspension. I'm very, very pleased with the Ohlin's. This car now rides and handles like it should have from the factory (IMHO). Oh, and I did try the full range of adjustments all the way from full soft up to full stiff. At full soft it handle minor bumps really well, but the bad bumps were not fun. I basically tried everything in between and ended up back at 8 clicks as my favorite.

AND I love that I can adjust the rear shocks without having to jack the car up. The adjuster is on the bottom of shock.
Question for you, is your suspension making any noise over low speed bumps? Like going up a driveway or speed bumps? Mine is making a squeaking or heaving sound seemingly all around. Not sure if that’s normal or not.

I’m also not getting the smoothness I expected from reviews here. I also changed the wheels and tires when I got the suspension installed but I downsized to 18s. Granted they are wider (265/40R18) Potenza Sports but could the tire really make it that much worse than the stock 20s with PZ4? Did I accidentally get the sport springs? 😅

Reactions: E30-4ME
Here goes: MYLR, dual motor, VIN 88,xxx, now at 12k miles. I communicated several times with UPP and MPP, somehow didn't even NOTICE the Ohlins discussion, which...I...now...regret! I went with MPP, as my research convinced me the KW damper was superior to the UPP damper, which AFAIK, isn't a "name brand" damper. (PLEASE, correct me if I'm wrong on that)

I've got 2500 miles on the MPP Comfort Coilovers, set at 14/12front, 10/10 rear. I have them set as close to OEM height as possible. OEM 19" ContiProContacts at 43psi cold. $2700parts, $700install, so...$3400.

On the highway (2k road trip, FW-Den-Aspen-FW) they were perfect. Arrow-straight alignment, perfect tracking. At 75-80mph, absorbs 2-3" deep asphalt delamination potholes easily. My son said, "I still FEEL them, but mostly HEAR them" and they don't unsettle the car. Sweeping curves, at 75-80mph, washboard surface doesn't affect direction, unlike OEM, which didn't always feel stable on curves with rough pavement.

DFW region is notorious for HORRIBLE uneven, old concrete slabs, causing ANY car to undulate like crazy. Ditto driving across Shreveport on I20. At speed, the MPP coilovers handle this...well...kinda okay. Better than OEM, but MUCH better? Not enough for my wife, who still finds the car uncomfortable. (In all fairness, her 2014 Avalon Hybrid, 130k miles, new KYB struts at 95k miles...a real 70s vintage big-boat GM feel, but strangely, with rather harsh initial compression...go figure!)

So, for about $1k more, the Ohlins setup would allow both spring perches to be adjusted! MPP only has a single perch adjustable, so, at OEM height, the spring is actually MORE compressed than if I were to drop the height. Totally counterintuitive, but AFAIK, learned from research, this is true. Having BOTH perches adjustable would allow a taller spring setting, thus, again AFAIK, giving a more compliant ride.

The shop that installed my coilovers said to me, rather sheepishly, "Well...uhh...if you had ASKED, we would have tried to convince you the Ohlins would have been a better choice. We've raced many vehicles on them for years!"

If anyone has info that differs from my description of the MPP vs. Ohlins, PLEASE chime in.

Both UPP and MPP have very kind and excellent staff for answering questions. Both have had trouble ramping up production to meet demand, but MPP kept me informed of production progress.

Can't edit my post #57 above, but would like to add:

When my 22-year-old son got in the car passenger seat (not an extreme OCD car guy, variety of cars, including his alltime favorite, 2011 VWGTI), we hardly drove a 1/2 mile before he asked, "Hey, did you do something with the suspension?" I hadn't told him WHEN, but he hadn't been in the car for 3 weeks when he made this comment. That's when he said he could hear the bigger bumps, but didn't seem to feel them.

So, yes, in my opinion, the MPP coilovers DO change/improve on the rather basic/crude OEM suspension of the Model Y.

So, for about $1k more, the Ohlins setup would allow both spring perches to be adjusted! MPP only has a single perch adjustable, so, at OEM height, the spring is actually MORE compressed than if I were to drop the height. Totally counterintuitive, but AFAIK, learned from research, this is true. Having BOTH perches adjustable would allow a taller spring setting, thus, again AFAIK, giving a more compliant ride.
For the MPP kit, The first part is true-> for the front wheels. The more the perch is turned upwards, the higher the car sits, and the more compressed the spring is. On the rear wheels, the adjustable spacers sit above the springs, (and not inside and below them),so I don't think that's true. The more the car rises in the back does not compress the rear springs more. Maybe it does......but I also don't think compressing the springs makes any difference in the ride comfort, as I have raised and lowered the car a few and the ride feels the same. What does change is when I adjust the compression/rebound settings.

Having an adjustable perch and an adjustable shock body (which the Redwood Racing system offers) gives more options for height adjustment, but takes away from having the entire shock body usable for the compression/valve system. It's a give and take, to which I'm not certain which is completely *better* in all ways. $1000.00 has to go somewhere -> it probably is the Ohlins DFV.

But I do think the rear suspension system on the Redwoods may have one advantage ->they look like they can ride-height-adjust while still in the car (and not have to be removed like the MPP's).

And yes, all three of these systems are much further ahead than the super-stiff-as-iron Tesla springs and made-in Mexico stamped steel Tesla shocks.