Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohlins DFV Coilover Kit Installed!!

thesmokingman

Jun 21, 2021
Socal
Just returned home from our Ohlins install at AR Motorsports in Portland (Highly recommend this shop for labor!) The term night and day applies here! The car is so much more behaved, better balanced, and the ride over bumps is just so much better dampened. I have MPP coils on my Model 3 performance and these are noticeable better. They just feel smoother. We lowered the Y about a half inch and went 3 clicks away from full soft. Probably will just leave it, but will access after more driving time. If you're on the fence about these, they are a great investment in my opinion and the car now handles and behaves the way a car in this class/price range should.
3 clicks...? That is really soft considering there's 32 clicks of adjustment so that is a huge range at one's disposal.

Last edited:

1QYKMY

Jul 2, 2021
San Diego, California
Just returned home from our Ohlins install at AR Motorsports in Portland (Highly recommend this shop for labor!) The term night and day applies here! The car is so much more behaved, better balanced, and the ride over bumps is just so much better dampened. I have MPP coils on my Model 3 performance and these are noticeable better. They just feel smoother. We lowered the Y about a half inch and went 3 clicks away from full soft. Probably will just leave it, but will access after more driving time. If you're on the fence about these, they are a great investment in my opinion and the car now handles and behaves the way a car in this class/price range should.
Congrats! So, if the softest setting is 1, you are at 4? I plan on starting at 20 and working my way towards 32. 😂

pdxrunr

Aug 5, 2015
Lake Oswego, OR
3 clicks...? That is really soft considering there's 32 clicks of adjustment so that is a huge range at one's disposal.
I thought there were 12 clicks? Perhaps I'm wrong, but I told them to go just three clicks away from full soft. I had read another owner using this setting and loved it, so that's how I picked starting there. It doesn't feel mushy or "soft" at all. It feels just right to me over the everyday bumps we drive on that really tossed the car around. If I had the ability and knowhow to adjust them myself, it would be fun to play with, but unless it changes after the springs settle, I'm inclined to just leave it how it is.

thesmokingman

Jun 21, 2021
Socal
I thought there were 12 clicks? Perhaps I'm wrong, but I told them to go just three clicks away from full soft. I had read another owner using this setting and loved it, so that's how I picked starting there. It doesn't feel mushy or "soft" at all. It feels just right to me over the everyday bumps we drive on that really tossed the car around. If I had the ability and knowhow to adjust them myself, it would be fun to play with, but unless it changes after the springs settle, I'm inclined to just leave it how it is.
If you ever feel the need to adjust it's not technically hard, just getting to the adjuster may be a pain. The single adjustment changes both rebound and bump thus keeping them within whatever ratio they designated so you can't really mess it up. That said, that's is pretty cool. It suggests that there's a lot of room to dial it up and maybe a bit of latitude for stiffer springs. Have you done any high speed driving with them yet? I'm curious how they handle bumps at high speed. My KW's can get hairy at high speeds when dips or bumps appear since high speed bump is fixed,

City_shadow

Aug 30, 2021
Los Angeles
Nope and I'm not offering as a service mind you. We used to do group day installs in the Subie community, that sort of stuff. These are coilovers, even a divorced set is not exactly rocket science.
Im ordering a set for my MYP at the end of the month. We did the same thing in the Bimmerpost community as well. I support this all the way.
That being said October is a great time to do work on the car!

Reactions: thesmokingman

indigo6

Feb 9, 2021
Sacramento
There are 32 or 34 clicks. I actually went to 16 clicks in the front and 20 in the rear and it improved the ride quality (subjectively of course) I’d try out the middle of the range, you might be surprised

Reactions: GeezerSquid

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC