Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohlins DFV Coilover Kit Installed!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just returned home from our Ohlins install at AR Motorsports in Portland (Highly recommend this shop for labor!) The term night and day applies here! The car is so much more behaved, better balanced, and the ride over bumps is just so much better dampened. I have MPP coils on my Model 3 performance and these are noticeable better. They just feel smoother. We lowered the Y about a half inch and went 3 clicks away from full soft. Probably will just leave it, but will access after more driving time. If you're on the fence about these, they are a great investment in my opinion and the car now handles and behaves the way a car in this class/price range should.
3 clicks...? That is really soft considering there's 32 clicks of adjustment so that is a huge range at one's disposal.

Last edited:
Just returned home from our Ohlins install at AR Motorsports in Portland (Highly recommend this shop for labor!) The term night and day applies here! The car is so much more behaved, better balanced, and the ride over bumps is just so much better dampened. I have MPP coils on my Model 3 performance and these are noticeable better. They just feel smoother. We lowered the Y about a half inch and went 3 clicks away from full soft. Probably will just leave it, but will access after more driving time. If you're on the fence about these, they are a great investment in my opinion and the car now handles and behaves the way a car in this class/price range should.
Congrats! So, if the softest setting is 1, you are at 4? I plan on starting at 20 and working my way towards 32. 😂

3 clicks...? That is really soft considering there's 32 clicks of adjustment so that is a huge range at one's disposal.
I thought there were 12 clicks? Perhaps I'm wrong, but I told them to go just three clicks away from full soft. I had read another owner using this setting and loved it, so that's how I picked starting there. It doesn't feel mushy or "soft" at all. It feels just right to me over the everyday bumps we drive on that really tossed the car around. If I had the ability and knowhow to adjust them myself, it would be fun to play with, but unless it changes after the springs settle, I'm inclined to just leave it how it is.

I thought there were 12 clicks? Perhaps I'm wrong, but I told them to go just three clicks away from full soft. I had read another owner using this setting and loved it, so that's how I picked starting there. It doesn't feel mushy or "soft" at all. It feels just right to me over the everyday bumps we drive on that really tossed the car around. If I had the ability and knowhow to adjust them myself, it would be fun to play with, but unless it changes after the springs settle, I'm inclined to just leave it how it is.
If you ever feel the need to adjust it's not technically hard, just getting to the adjuster may be a pain. The single adjustment changes both rebound and bump thus keeping them within whatever ratio they designated so you can't really mess it up. That said, that's is pretty cool. It suggests that there's a lot of room to dial it up and maybe a bit of latitude for stiffer springs. Have you done any high speed driving with them yet? I'm curious how they handle bumps at high speed. My KW's can get hairy at high speeds when dips or bumps appear since high speed bump is fixed,

Nope and I'm not offering as a service mind you. We used to do group day installs in the Subie community, that sort of stuff. These are coilovers, even a divorced set is not exactly rocket science.
Im ordering a set for my MYP at the end of the month. We did the same thing in the Bimmerpost community as well. I support this all the way.
That being said October is a great time to do work on the car!

Reactions: thesmokingman
There are 32 or 34 clicks. I actually went to 16 clicks in the front and 20 in the rear and it improved the ride quality (subjectively of course) I’d try out the middle of the range, you might be surprised

Reactions: GeezerSquid
I paid $625 to install the coilovers plus rear camber arms. Then another $230 for alignment.

I will say that I now have various noises that I didn’t have with stock suspension.
Was that for a corner balance or something cuz that's a grip for a 4 wh alignment? You don't need a corner balance btw, just saying if that's the case.

You shouldn't have any extra noises on paper at least.

Was that for a corner balance or something cuz that's a grip for a 4 wh alignment? You don't need a corner balance btw, just saying if that's the case.

You shouldn't have any extra noises on paper at least.
Yes, includes corner balancing.

I am hearing a little friction in the coilovers when under compression. Not sure if it is shock, spring or something else. Stock suspension was totally quiet in all cases.

Yes, includes corner balancing.

I am hearing a little friction in the coilovers when under compression. Not sure if it is shock, spring or something else. Stock suspension was totally quiet in all cases.
Friction... as in stiction? I highly doubt there is sticition in the dampers. The only thing under compression are the bump stops but thay should only become a factor at max compression. If it's a priority, grab a gopro and velcro it a fender well or link, arm etc and test it out. Move gopro to one corner after another to isolate where it is coming from and go from there.

I'd also add that sometimes a clunk can mislead you. Like for ex on Subies, they use a pitch mount that connects the tranny/engine to the firewall. If this mount is loose you hear it in the suspension but it actually is not suspension since it's directly connected to the engine. I highlight this because clunks in any car can be the biggest pain in the ass to find so take your time.

Though really this should be down to your installer. This stuff shouldn't make noise on it's own!

Last edited: