Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohlins R&T landing in the USA as soon as May

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Dieselboy777 I have a set of the Redwoods on order in Performance Sport with the optional spherical bearing top hats. They should be ready very soon now, I'm hoping to find time to install them in the next few weeks and I'll definitely post all my driving impressions once I have it settled in, aligned, and I've dialed in the adjustment settings.

Another forum member just installed a GT kit:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6317092/

Note he also installed the MPP front lower control arm spherical bearings at the same time, and I have a set of those ready to put on my car too. I've read really good things about them improving steering response and feel.

I'm obviously committed to the Redwoods and I doubt I'll regret them at all (I sure hope not for the price! 😅), I'm following this thread because I'll always be glad to see and learn about more suspension options for this car. And I'm definitely a fan of Öhlins DFV after experiencing them on a different car.
You got the front and rear pillowballs? No concern of noise?

You got the front and rear pillowballs? No concern of noise?
Only live once. Don't know if or when I'll get to do upgrades like this on a daily driver again. Last time was 10+ years ago.

I'm not worried about NVH when the pillowballs are new. Not with Öhlins DFV dampers, 245/45 tires, and all the remaining soft rubber mounts & bushings in a Model 3.

The question in my mind is how long the bearings will last. I don't expect them to be a "lifetime" part. I am fine with that. If they get noisy early I'll swap them out for the stock rubber. If they last a long time I'll see if I can get them rebuilt when the time comes.

"A little bit" of added NVH won't bother me if I get sharper handling in exchange. My 2021 M3P is plenty refined for me already, I want sharp handling and I can spare some refinement for it. 😈

Race car clunking...if it's like that from the get-go I will take them off. Don't want that. I'm not expecting that though. I consulted with two friends - who I trust in terms of car/driving taste and preferences - about their experiences with spherical bearing top hats on street-driven cars. Neither had any regrets. One is thinking of putting some on his Cayman because it doesn't turn-in as sharply as his more highly modded FR-S (with spherical top hats). Neither has experienced any clunking from their top hats yet, with 10s of thousands of street miles, though they certainly agree not to count on such parts lasting the life of the car.

Everything is a wear item eventually, it's a matter of what service interval I'm willing to put up with. Cheap spherical bearing end links, sitting down low getting lots of water/snow and road grime on them? No, that I can't tolerate, I learned that lesson. But much higher quality (I think) spherical top hats sitting up nice and high and mostly protected from the elements? I'm ready to give them a shot, and I accept however it turns out.

I haven't talked with anyone who has specifically used the Redwood Motorsports top hats on a Tesla. If they clunk right out of the gate I'm taking them right off, but I'm really not expecting that. Redwood themselves said I should expect a little added NVH just from the stiffness, but not clunking if they're working properly.

I'll share my experience on these forums of course. Similarly, if any of you have tried the Redwood spherical top hats, I'd love to hear your experience.

Last edited:
Put this another way...my last ICE car (many years ago) was an STI that I modded with lots of stiffer mounts, bushings, sway bars, quick steering rack, etc. I loved how it drove with those mods, and never regretted any of them for NVH. I love how old Evos drive too and they're probably even less refined (and even better to drive in some ways), if that tells you anything about my taste in cars.

My 2021 M3P is way more refined than my STI ever was. I'm truly happy to trade some NVH to get some of that handling sharpness and composure back. I never changed the dampers, springs, or top hats on the STI but there's a first time to try everything. (It at least came with better damping than the M3P, in terms of handling composure and responsiveness. Not any better in ride quality of course.)

Clunks I can't tolerate, but adding some general NVH is game on if it actually helps with handling sharpness and driving feel.

I have a BMW M3 and the Ohlins R&T kit is by far the best suspension I've ever had. I would argue it actually had less NVH than the factory suspension, and certainly less than most other aftermarket kits. I would certainly be interested in such a kit for the Model 3 I have on order

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
The appeal to me is like any stiffer bearing or bushing. Less unwanted movement and better feel for what the car is doing. With an NVH tradeoff of course. "Softer is better" isn't how I want my M3P. If I wanted that I could get a Lexus RX.

Could I actually tell the difference if I drove the same exact Model 3 with OE top hats vs spherical? I don't really know of course. I'll only find out if they wear out quickly and I put the stock rubber on top of the Öhlins - in which case I'll then stay with rubber no matter if it feels worse. Otherwise, I'm not going to spent time swapping top hats.

Before ordering these I did as much searching online as I could stomach for impressions of pillowballs / spherical bearing top hats (on other cars - not much to find yet for Model 3). Experiences are all over the map. I don't think trying them is going to hurt me, so I will try them and see how it goes. Not trying to convince anyone else to, especially not the typical Tesla driver who is more concerned about NVH and getting a smoother ride than how the car feels and reacts near its limits.

Edit: The other part of the appeal is it makes the coilover install simpler. It's like getting more mod for less work. I wouldn't try them for that alone of course, but it does make trying them seem "easy" in a way.

"A little bit" of added NVH won't bother me if I get sharper handling in exchange. My 2021 M3P is plenty refined for me already, I want sharp handling and I can spare some refinement for it. 😈

Race car clunking...if it's like that from the get-go I will take them off. Don't want that. I'm not expecting that though. I consulted with two friends - who I trust in terms of car/driving taste and preferences - about their experiences with spherical bearing top hats on street-driven cars. Neither had any regrets. One is thinking of putting some on his Cayman because it doesn't turn-in as sharply as his more highly modded FR-S (with spherical top hats). Neither has experienced any clunking from their top hats yet, with 10s of thousands of street miles, though they certainly agree not to count on such parts lasting the life of the car.

Everything is a wear item eventually, it's a matter of what service interval I'm willing to put up with. Cheap spherical bearing end links, sitting down low getting lots of water/snow and road grime on them? No, that I can't tolerate, I learned that lesson. But much higher quality (I think) spherical top hats sitting up nice and high and mostly protected from the elements? I'm ready to give them a shot, and I accept however it turns out.

I haven't talked with anyone who has specifically used the Redwood Motorsports top hats on a Tesla. If they clunk right out of the gate I'm taking them right off, but I'm really not expecting that. Redwood themselves said I should expect a little added NVH just from the stiffness, but not clunking if they're working properly.

I'll share my experience on these forums of course. Similarly, if any of you have tried the Redwood spherical top hats, I'd love to hear your experience.
I have a FRS, FC3S, and have had several Subarus which all used pillows. For some reason the Tesla seems to burn through them much faster than other vehicles. The simplicity aspect is a moot point imo. You can buy a SPC legit spring compressor for $150 that you can use time and time again or even sell it after you've used it. I have tested the mounts both ways and I felt that $700+ dollars could have been spent a better way on other mods. I have not witnessed a car that can go through spherical uppers like the Model 3 in my existence. If it's a dedicated track car then it makes sense. I don't think that oem hats will make the car slow by any means or reduce its "sharpness." In fact you'd have to be a really really really good driver to need to squeak out the difference. The OEM hats work plenty well and my buddies have been racing on them without any compromise all while besting a ton of ICE cars. It will be interesting to hear your review after 6-9 months. At least you've done your due diligence and that's all I was hoping for. I'm just here playing devil's advocate. I'm sure you'll love the dampers.

• Helpful
Reactions: MasterC17 and tm1v2
@P3D-R Thanks, that experience is helpful to hear about.

Maybe I would never have ordered the pillowballs if I had known your experience. If the bearings wear out that quick for me I'll put the stock top hats on and that'll be that. 👍

Last edited:
Spherical front top mounts remove some of the side/bending load on the damper by freeing up the bind in the factory top mount. Ideally, the lower mount should be spherical as well to completely remove any unwanted side/bending loads on the damper. M3's damper moves around so much with steering inputs, it might as well be McPherson and not SLA suspension. Never seen a properly designed SLA suspension with so much damper movement.

@Motion122 Do you think that's from the geometry of the suspension, or more from having very soft bushings with a lot of squish?
Definitely from design/geometry. It's a major source of steering/suspension bind. I have looked at all SLA suspension performance vehicles that came to my shop and not one exhibit the same damper movement and bind. Economy vehicles tend to use a strut type suspension since it is less expensive so it's hard to find one with SLA to see what it does.

@Dieselboy777 I have a set of the Redwoods on order in Performance Sport with the optional spherical bearing top hats. They should be ready very soon now, I'm hoping to find time to install them in the next few weeks and I'll definitely post all my driving impressions once I have it settled in, aligned, and I've dialed in the adjustment settings.

Another forum member just installed a GT kit:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6317092/

Note he also installed the MPP front lower control arm spherical bearings at the same time, and I have a set of those ready to put on my car too. I've read really good things about them improving steering response and feel.

I'm obviously committed to the Redwoods and I doubt I'll regret them at all (I sure hope not for the price! 😅), I'm following this thread because I'll always be glad to see and learn about more suspension options for this car. And I'm definitely a fan of Öhlins DFV after experiencing them on a different car.
Amazing, Looking forward to hearing back about your experience! It is indeed quite an expensive kit. Keep us posted :)
Also, just curious, what is, or will be your Wheel size/ Tire setup to benchmark?