Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohme Charging - What Am I Doing Wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not quite a noob question - had my M3 and Ohme charger since end May and smart meter / Octopus Go prob month or two thereafter.

I set the car to ‘start charging at 00:30' and all is good. Get the “will start charging at 00:30” message etc. Then I look at the app 5mins later and it’s charging. I turn it off on the app and it stops. Then it restarts. I go back to the car thinking I’ve made a schoolboy error and set it up again. It says “start charging at 00:30” and the cycle restarts.

Can’t work out if I’m being gaslighted by the car, Ohme, or Octopus!!

Clearly I’m being a moron somewhere in the loop so any tips appreciated!

Sean

I had some issues when I first had the Ohme. Sorted them by NOT using the Ohme app, i.e. not setting anything beyond the car model (no start times, etc). Anything set in Ohme would report a conflict with the Tesla if any differences were found (charge level, etc), and Ohme would then accept whatever the car setting was. Figured I may as well let the car handle the charge schedule from then on!
Now I will occasionally see a trickle of charge go in when I first plug in (1kW), but that's maybe once a month, and I assume it's just doing some "handshake" between the car and charge port.
Only downside is I don't have any usage data from Ohme, but I can live with that.

I'd say use one or the other.

If you have the 0030 Octopus Tariff, and select it in your Ohme app, then if the car is plugged in, the Ohme will switch on and charge your car at 0030. Setting the car to also charge 0030 confuses the two, you don't need to do this.

I don't fiddle with car timer settings, just set the Ohme app to charge at the cheap rate, if the cars plugged in, it switches on and charges.

If you want to charge outside this time, you can deselect the cheap rate option or just change the charge schedule - I've another where the charger is just on, like a dumb charger, for topping up outside of cheap tariff times.

Funny I had the same issues.
I now have the Ohme app set up to not charge over 16p where 15.9p is my normal octopus go rate, and not 5p which is the 1;30 to 4;30 cheap rate.
the reason for this is that some time after a drive there is not enough time in the 4 hours to recharge the car to 80% for 7am (which is my every day rate set in the Ohme app) so when I had the cost charge rate set to 5p I would not always have 80% at 7am.
the Ohme charger does still work it out (at least for me) and may do a quick top up so when the 1;30 cheap rate kicks in it then charge to 80%.
my gripe is that as of the last couple of weeks I’ve noticed that the battery is not at 80% at 7am, but 79% then as it got colder 77%, this morning 71%!
I have pre heated cabin so expected may be 1% as it’s only pre heating for 15 mins not all night, but the ohme charger does not re-top up up the battery to 80% so at 7am it’s 80%, this seems strange to me. When it reaches its 80% charge (which it may do at say for example 5;30) it then seems to go dumb so that it does not re top up!
I’ve sent an email to Ohme this morning about the above, I could set the car to say 85% knowing it will drain due to cold weather but this seems strange. Any thoughts?
cheers Chris

I've noticed a few times recently that my car would stop charging without either going all the way to 90% (my charge limit) or use the full 4-hour window (when the Go tariff is cheapest) and have also messaged them about it. It's kinda random as some nights it's fine, others it just stops charging; the other day it stopped charging at 72% and even with the cold temperature I know it shouldn't be that low.

I've noticed a few times recently that my car would stop charging without either going all the way to 90% (my charge limit) or use the full 4-hour window (when the Go tariff is cheapest) and have also messaged them about it. It's kinda random as some nights it's fine, others it just stops charging; the other day it stopped charging at 72% and even with the cold temperature I know it shouldn't be that low.
This literally happened to me last night. I still had it plugged in from the day before while charging during my 4 hr window. Turned out I needed to start another charge session at 90%. The charger thought it had done a good job in completing the charge to 78% from the adjustment from the previous charge!

This literally happened to me last night. I still had it plugged in from the day before while charging during my 4 hr window. Turned out I needed to start another charge session at 90%. The charger thought it had done a good job in completing the charge to 78% from the adjustment from the previous charge!
I haven’t heard back from Ohme, they are normally really good at responding It appears. It seems to me the charge session you mention is a bit of a flaw, and I have noticed this before. I just cannot see why the Ohme charger thinks ‘I’ve reached the charge limit but the battery has lost x% so I will re top up before the commute time’. I can understand (this is where I have noticed the charge session like you mentioned) when it’s left connected over a night or two and then recharges the next night session but not when the charger know you want x% at a certain time.
surely that is an easy fix!

I only ever use the Ohme app to control the charge (never the car limit/schedule) and for the last year it’s worked fine.
If I have a price limit of 5.5p (I’m on go faster 5H) and the 5 hours isn’t enough to reach target % then it will use all the 5 hours and the dashboard will show it waiting till the next nights cheap rate to finish the charge if left plugged in.
If I remove the price limit of 5.5p but keep the ‘save money’ option in settings, it won’t wait till the next night, it will use all the available 5.5p hours then finish off charging at normal 16p rate to reach the target % that night.

I haven’t heard back from Ohme, they are normally really good at responding It appears. It seems to me the charge session you mention is a bit of a flaw, and I have noticed this before. I just cannot see why the Ohme charger thinks ‘I’ve reached the charge limit but the battery has lost x% so I will re top up before the commute time’. I can understand (this is where I have noticed the charge session like you mentioned) when it’s left connected over a night or two and then recharges the next night session but not when the charger know you want x% at a certain time.
surely that is an easy fix!
Yes they are generally really good at responding. I had a few back and forth with them when I changed over from Agile and they needed me to report back to them after changing settings. If you set the percentage to charge higher than the cheaper window, the charger adjusts the time it takes to charge to it and it will continue that same 'charge' to the following day again, during the cheaper rate. It adjusts the time (to the following day) but doesn't amend/increase the amount it needs to charge up to utilising the cheaper rate. It charged just fine when I changed the percentage and time it needs to finish the charge by, but I'd have to remember to start a 'new charge session'. I have my car set to 90% and ohme can't override it.

If you want continuous charging this will only happen if you have a "don't charge above x" option selected afaik.

If you want it to charge continuously (outside of the cheaper rates) then as @Bullet618 mentioned removing the charge limit should do the trick, or turn on max charging.