Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohme EV charger turned dumb

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why but the Ohme charger seems to have decided to no longer use my schedules and is no longer activating Smart Charging. Instead it is just a dumb charger.

Wondered if anyone else has this as it may be an app issue or how they fixed it.

How's the signal on the Ohme charger?

The reason why I ask is I've recently moved and get little to no signal. As the Ohme charger doesn't have WiFi it relies on to onboard roaming data sim; should it not have signal it will act dumb.

PITA if you ask me.

Bit further into this. It may be signal related, but never had an issue before. What I have found is that when I plug the car in it starts charging. If I then go into the car and set a schedule charge, the ohme charger decides to then be smart again.

It's happened to me multiple times recently that the charge does not follow the schedule and just charges at peak rate. Off you don't notice it costs a lot more than it should. My issue is that there's no notification from the so when this happens so no obvious way to know.

Does anyone have a solution, maybe a different app to use with the ohme charger?

I'm in the process of having an Ohme Pro charge point fitted in a month or two, it was an Octopus offer £549 fully fitted.
Did the survey and payment just before Xmas and now waiting for them to "fit me in".

I have no plans to use any of its clever functions - hopefully just plug the car in and use onboard timer or on-demand charge as required.
I hope I can use it as a dumb charge point perhaps with just an occasional "clever charge".
I'll know more when it turns up.

I have an Ohme charger teamed with Octopus Go and I've been using it for about 9 months with only a few minor issues. I have found the best way for me is to use the cost limit on the Ohme app - 'don't charge over 5p per unit'. I leave this set all the time and do not schedule any charging on the car.

I set the car to 90% charge and leave it there.

Set the Ohme app so that it will add about 40% (it will adjust to the maximum it can charge in the period. This is usually 33%, but in reality, it adds 39% to 40%). It will automatically charge at the lower rates between 0030 and 0430 giving me about 40% of charge into the car.

Plugging into the car, it will start to charge and then click off. You can hear this and I also get an alert on my phone from the Ohme app. You can check that this is set as the lights on the Ohme unit will flash in a circular pattern - red-amber-green. This shows that it is set to smart charge.

Occasionally, the unit will continue to charge and not 'go smart'. Not sure why. If this happens, I unplug and plug in again and it sorts itself out.

I don't use the 'schedule charge' on the car at all. I've found it easier to leave the charger to do it's thing.

You can use the Ohme as a dumb charger or smart charger and switch between the two at will. The Ohme app is a bit clunky, but works fairly well. I haven't used is as a dumb charger with the car scheduled to control the charging times, so I can't comment on how well that works.

• Helpful
Reactions: badbadger06
Check the settings and i turned off favour green energy, optimize for battery life, save money. Set my tariff up and clicked dont charge above cheap night tarrif price and set car to whatever percent charge i want.. It only comes on and charges during the cheap tariff. If i want to charge any other time i unclick the price lock from earlier - if that makes sense...

Reactions: Tinca
I have an Ohme charger teamed with Octopus Go and I've been using it for about 9 months with only a few minor issues. I have found the best way for me is to use the cost limit on the Ohme app - 'don't charge over 5p per unit'. I leave this set all the time and do not schedule any charging on the car.

I set the car to 90% charge and leave it there.

Set the Ohme app so that it will add about 40% (it will adjust to the maximum it can charge in the period. This is usually 33%, but in reality, it adds 39% to 40%). It will automatically charge at the lower rates between 0030 and 0430 giving me about 40% of charge into the car.

Plugging into the car, it will start to charge and then click off. You can hear this and I also get an alert on my phone from the Ohme app. You can check that this is set as the lights on the Ohme unit will flash in a circular pattern - red-amber-green. This shows that it is set to smart charge.

Occasionally, the unit will continue to charge and not 'go smart'. Not sure why. If this happens, I unplug and plug in again and it sorts itself out.

I don't use the 'schedule charge' on the car at all. I've found it easier to leave the charger to do it's thing.

You can use the Ohme as a dumb charger or smart charger and switch between the two at will. The Ohme app is a bit clunky, but works fairly well. I haven't used is as a dumb charger with the car scheduled to control the charging times, so I can't comment on how well that works.
This is exactly what I do, but I don't get s notification of the charger fails to click off outside the cheap rate time. So I assume it's going to do what it normally does, only to find it's continued to charge at expensive rate. I think it happens if the ohme device losses the 3g signal so can't communicate with the car. I understand issues like this will happen from time to time but I would expect to receive a strong warning on my phone when the charger losses its signal and that doesn't happen.

I have the ohme home pro charger and do the same as above (i.e. set the off peak charging in the ohme app) but I've also downloaded the ev.energy app and use that too to setup my tariff and smart charge using off peak rates.

This way I avoid the issue of ohme going dumb and charging during peak rates and also accumulate reward points in the ev energy app which can be redeemed for Amazon vouchers.