Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohme Pro and Tesla Model Y settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

Hoping someone can please give me advice and apologies if this has been asked before.

I am currently with Octopus Intelligent and have connected the app to my Tesla Model Y's API (not the Ohme Pro API). Therefore in effect the Ohme pro is working as a 'dumb charger'.

What settings do I need to have activated/deactivated in my Ohme Pro app? The issue I have is that as soon as I connect my car it begins charging - At this point do I pause charging in the Ohme Pro App? I did this yesterday and then it did not charge as scheduled when it was supposed to (as per the Octopus Intelligent Smart charging window) and I had to unpause the charger from the Ohme Pro App and manually put in a finish time of 05:30am.

Do I stop charging from the car itself instead? Or does it stop by itself after a period of time.

I could connect to the Ohme Pro API instead of the Tesla but I do not like the interface and I cannot make out the smart window charging very well in the Ohme Pro graph in the app.

Thanks

With Octopus Intelligent It’s normal for the car to start charging as soon as you connect it. However it should stop charging after a few mins without you having to change any other settings in the Tesla or the Ohme app. At that point (or after 5pm) the charging schedule should be visible under Devices in the Octopus app. If it’s all set up like this you should be OK.

Following up on this thread - I have a Ohme Pro and Intelligent Octopus tariff. I'll get my Tesla Model Y in a few weeks - and I was thinking of doing exactly the same (connect IO to the Tesla API and use Ohme Pro as a dumb charger). @Schism2k what settings did you use in your Ohme app?

Why do you want to connect the car to IO instead of the charger? Seems to make more sense to have the charger control everything rather than the car.

I wish my Hypervolt could be controlled by IO, would make my life easier with two cars and not having to worry about it charging straight away when I plug the car in.

Why do you want to connect the car to IO instead of the charger? Seems to make more sense to have the charger control everything rather than the car.

I wish my Hypervolt could be controlled by IO, would make my life easier with two cars and not having to worry about it charging straight away when I plug the car in.
I did some research and actually it seems IO native integration with Tesla may be a bit flakey. Will connect to the charger instead 👍🏻

Seems to make more sense to have the charger control everything rather than the car.

I have no experience of that, but would be interested what is involved.

I have a dumb charger ... car is set to start at Off Peak. To solve the fact that the car doesn't stop charging at end of Off Peak I use API (TeslaFi in my case) to stop charging at end of Off peak (if battery was so low that it didn't finish).

Because the charger is "live" if I want to precondition the car then I just use the car APP; to charge the car immediately when I come home I can use the dash, and if a mate wants to charge they can just plug in.

I have 2 EVs and 2x Wall Chargers, and I don't have to bother about which car is plugged into which charger, if I need Precondition, 100% charge or to divert excess PV to the car which is needing it most I just do that from the APP.

I have the perception that doing this from a smart charger requires using both the charger APP and the car APP - but maybe I am wide of the mark on that?

I have no experience of that, but would be interested what is involved.

I have a dumb charger ... car is set to start at Off Peak. To solve the fact that the car doesn't stop charging at end of Off Peak I use API (TeslaFi in my case) to stop charging at end of Off peak (if battery was so low that it didn't finish).

Because the charger is "live" if I want to precondition the car then I just use the car APP; to charge the car immediately when I come home I can use the dash, and if a mate wants to charge they can just plug in.

I have 2 EVs and 2x Wall Chargers, and I don't have to bother about which car is plugged into which charger, if I need Precondition, 100% charge or to divert excess PV to the car which is needing it most I just do that from the APP.

I have the perception that doing this from a smart charger requires using both the charger APP and the car APP - but maybe I am wide of the mark on that?
I'm sure once you do that after a while it becomes second nature but to me reading that, that's a lot of effort.

I just want to plug the car in and leave it be and I suspect the vast majority of owners feel the same way.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I'm sure once you do that after a while it becomes second nature

Indeed, but (if my description is actually what is needed) I suspect there are further snags / 1st-world-problems to be aware of - such as Internet Down. My understanding is that Charger downloads the schedule locally, so an internet outage just at Off Peak would not prevent the car charging ...

... but I've taken the view that starting the charge from the Car's schedule means that the car is going to start charging at Off Peak regardless of anything else interfering (and in Tesla case that allows arriving home considerably after start off Off peak [Dirty Stop-Out mode!] and it will still start to charge)

As a new Tesla owner (yesterday) and a new IO customer (last month), I did my first ever IO overnight charge with my brand new MY last night. The key to success is to use the Tesla app to schedule a charge not to start before 23:30. That way, when you plug in the charging cable, you no longer get that "is it going to stop charging at peak rate" feeling as soon as you plug the car in during the day. It worked a treat last night. Apologies if this has been mentioned before. ☺️

Hi there,

Hoping someone can please give me advice and apologies if this has been asked before.

I am currently with Octopus Intelligent and have connected the app to my Tesla Model Y's API (not the Ohme Pro API). Therefore in effect the Ohme pro is working as a 'dumb charger'.

What settings do I need to have activated/deactivated in my Ohme Pro app? The issue I have is that as soon as I connect my car it begins charging - At this point do I pause charging in the Ohme Pro App? I did this yesterday and then it did not charge as scheduled when it was supposed to (as per the Octopus Intelligent Smart charging window) and I had to unpause the charger from the Ohme Pro App and manually put in a finish time of 05:30am.

Do I stop charging from the car itself instead? Or does it stop by itself after a period of time.

I could connect to the Ohme Pro API instead of the Tesla but I do not like the interface and I cannot make out the smart window charging very well in the Ohme Pro graph in the app.

Thanks
If i plug in, then stop the charge and the car sleeps before Octopus connects to the car then no schedule is created at all until I wake the car I expect. Meaning today the car wasn’t charged at 7am, when I woke the car Octopus then created a schedule for my leaving time 8am!

If I set the car to charge at 11.30 that’s fine but it often means the schedule isn’t set until 11.30 which for most is ok I guess but not how it’s supposed to work.