Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohme's new smart charging app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've yet to try this or the Ohme app, but have a few times manually done a mid-day solar top-up by using the car's touch screen to start a charge and adjusting the maximum current to match the current solar output. That works but there are better uses of my time ;)

I just keep things at 10A, stick head out of window, and if I think we are going to have a clear run, set a %SoC target end point and remotely start the charge. I don't bother with sun dipping in and out. I'm content to get any offset and even more happy if beat the overnight 5p/kWh rate.

This one last Sunday, I got 12% on board, could have gone longer but didn't need to, 73%-85%, and used less than 0.871kWh of import. In financial terms, thats ~12p for ~8kWh added, or just over 1p/kWh which also included cost for cooking lunch/drinks. Happy with that. And that wasn't a great day, normally far less import, most of that cost was the 1-1/2 over lunch time. This time of year, ~1/3p per mile.

Of course, slightly different story shoulder months and as for winter (well end Oct - mid Feb) we get f-all to be bothering with anyhow.

1627025844334.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Additional 'nodes' can be added to NodeRed to simplify tasks. The node node-red-contrib-tesla will do all the communication with the Tesla API for you.
You would also need to parse the Octopus API to work out when to start and stop the charge. There is another node borpin/node-red-contrib-octopus to interrogate the Octopus Agile pricing.
I do not know how well this node works since I do not have Agile.

I use NodeRed to charge my Tesla with excess solar power in the same way as a Zappi.

EDIT: You may find this useful too JonathanPerkins/octopus-agile-price
Derek, I read your reply regarding using NodeRed to charge your Tesla with excess solar. I have recently installed Solar with battery and would like to find a creative way to utilise the excess solar to charge my Model Y. I have a Pod Point solo charger and your solution looks perfect to utilise what I already have. Would you be able to share any details on how you are doing this ? Thanks in advance