Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmman's Airstream Adventures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, all. We are definitely safe and the fire has moved away from our home and from downtown Sonoma (hopefully permanently). Containment is improving by the day. I dropped the Airstream off at my Airstream dealer, who was kind enough to hold it for me while we figured things out. I likely could have left it at the house but there was no point in risking it, and everything is already getting draped in the smell of wood smoke, so I'd like to limit exposure. The Model X stinks like smoke inside so there will be a good deal of airing out to be done once things clear.

We are staying away until at least Tuesday.

Thanks, all. We are definitely safe and the fire has moved away from our home and from downtown Sonoma (hopefully permanently). Containment is improving by the day. I dropped the Airstream off at my Airstream dealer, who was kind enough to hold it for me while we figured things out. I likely could have left it at the house but there was no point in risking it, and everything is already getting draped in the smell of wood smoke, so I'd like to limit exposure. The Model X stinks like smoke inside so there will be a good deal of airing out to be done once things clear.

We are staying away until at least Tuesday.

Glad to hear that! Stay safe!

Is biodefense mode not filtering the smoke smell?

Is biodefense mode not filtering the smoke smell?
It works pretty well, but there's a design flaw. When you turn the car off and back on, it turns off biodefense and immediately begins pumping outside air into the vehicle.

Also, just opening and closing the doors really allows the smoke to penetrate. I'm sure it'll air out well with both falcon doors, front doors, and the tailgate open.

It seems like a product like this should be part of every home owners kit in fire prone areas. Barricade FireGel Along with keeping fire prone vegetation away from the home.

Will take a look at this. I am in a high risk fire zone...my entire street was burned down a year before my house was built. And another fire in the area a few years ago.

I don’t even have a fire extinguisher...I should probably get that but my house has fire sprinklers all over the place...even on the exterior!! Had the riser leak in the garage...if the fire doesn’t destroy your house the water damage will

Something I keep forgetting to mention: When towing, the lowering height setting on the X should not be in "always" mode. Yes, tow mode disables speed-based lowering, but when unhitching, driving to the Supercharger, and returning, the X will go from "Standard" to "Low" and you'll be off with your tongue height. That's worse with weight distribution, but it's bad regardless. As soon as you plug back in, it'll lock into "Low" and not adjust. So it's best to keep lowering to a speed greater than, say, 40mph. Or, just always remember to raise the height back to standard before initiating hook-up. For me, I don't need one more thing to remember.

The downside with this, of course, is that accelerating without the trailer happens in "Standard" height and I get pretty bad shudder. :(
I’ll have to check this. I found a couple of times when hitching my car was in low rather than Standard. Haven’t experienced the acceleration shudder but have seen YouTube videos of it while researching my purchase. It may have been resolved with a mod, but I need to verify w/my car over time.

That's great to learn, NapaBill. And I'm sure I speak for all when I say we express our collective sympathies to your friend who lost his P90, as well as to all your other neighbors who lost everything.

One focal point for me today has been the hitch setup. In my research leading up to the purchase, I learned that minimizing the distance between the trailer and the towing vehicle is quite important for aerodynamics:

View attachment 208266
As you can see in the following image, the standard hitch package includes a bit of unnecessary gap. I get the feeling I could eliminate at least the marked distance with a custom hitch, and potentially a bit more. I'm not sure how much impact that would have on the aerodynamic front, but dropping Cd by a few hundredths is no small matter when it comes to consumption. More to come on this.

View attachment 208267
Bonjour Ohmman, Writing from Quebec about this post where you talk about cutting the hitch to minimize distance with the camper. I followed some of your past and TeslaXCanada before choosing my Electric duo: Grayhound TeslaX 100D and SafariCondo Alto F1743. Did you cut the hitch? I am thinking to add a box between the car and the trailer to minimize air turbulence. See the drawing that I have done. Merci for your help.

Attachments

• Grayhound-Alto  aerodynamic project, hand drawing 10-04-2018.JPG
    Grayhound-Alto aerodynamic project, hand drawing 10-04-2018.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 132
Reactions: qadaemon and McManX
Bonjour Ohmman, Writing from Quebec about this post where you talk about cutting the hitch to minimize distance with the camper. I followed some of your past and TeslaXCanada before choosing my Electric duo: Grayhound TeslaX 100D and SafariCondo Alto F1743. Did you cut the hitch? I am thinking to add a box between the car and the trailer to minimize air turbulence. See the drawing that I have done. Merci for your help.
Bonjour! Congratulations on your F1743. Beautiful rig. @ecarfan will be pleased to see it, as he also tows one. You both should discuss your LiFePo4 retrofits as well.

I did cut the hitch for the Bosal setup, but have replaced the entire receiver after my Bosal started becoming loose. After replacing the receiver, my chopped tongue wouldn't reach the pin hole, and I had to replace it with a new one. On a good note, I'm as close as I could be with my new Draw-Tite receiver and the standard bracket for the Equal-i-zer hitch. But I have a really heavy doorstop from the old cut bracket. :)

I love your drawing, and the idea of an aerodynamics-driven cargo box makes plenty of sense. The aerodynamic interaction of vehicle to trailer is pretty complicated, but I'm sure if you can find other examples of similar ideas, you will be able to find something that works well for you.

Please do keep us informed of your project. Start a thread, and if you could, tag me like this: @ohmman to make sure that I get an alert about it, so I can subscribe and follow. I'm not as active around here as I used to be, so it's easy for me to miss interesting threads.

Reactions: qadaemon
Bonjour Ohmman, Writing from Quebec about this post where you talk about cutting the hitch to minimize distance with the camper. I followed some of your past and TeslaXCanada before choosing my Electric duo: Grayhound TeslaX 100D and SafariCondo Alto F1743. Did you cut the hitch? I am thinking to add a box between the car and the trailer to minimize air turbulence. See the drawing that I have done.
Bonjour @AltoGrayhound ! This is your twin brother in California. ;) Your aerodynamic project sounds interesting. Please start a separate thread about it when you are ready, and please post your energy usage numbers while towing in this thread Model X Travel Trailer Consumption Analysis. I too am following in the footsteps of Rolf and Silke (TeslaXCanada) and @ohmman . I took delivery in February 2018 and currently am having 1000W of flexible solar panels and two 300Ah LiFePO batteries installed. Once that project is completed in a few weeks I will start a thread about it and provide details. I don’t want to derail this thread but I got excited when I saw your post! I sent you a PM with more information.

0914F04D-C287-4778-956B-2045699B50F2.jpeg

Attachments

• 1F06A975-A2FD-4273-A1F7-2D9191F8E63D.jpeg
    1F06A975-A2FD-4273-A1F7-2D9191F8E63D.jpeg
    475.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 70159E33-EC25-40D4-A5EF-EE9F338EDA88.jpeg
    70159E33-EC25-40D4-A5EF-EE9F338EDA88.jpeg
    395.6 KB · Views: 104
We just got back from a fun trip through part of the Sierras. Sonoma --> Coloma --> Lake Tahoe --> June Lake --> Inyo National Forest above Yosemite --> Sonoma.

Worthwhile mentions - we made it from Coloma (with a 97% charge from our campsite) all the way up to Tahoe without stopping to charge at the CHAdeMO in Strawberry Station (this was my original plan). Consumption was 951Wh/mi on that route, but the nice thing about US 50 is that speed is naturally limited in comparison to taking I-80 to north Lake Tahoe. I think that made the trip doable.

We stopped upon arrival at the Raley's in South Lake Tahoe to use their CHAdeMO and get some shopping done. It was excruciatingly slow. We pulled 30kW most of the time, occasionally peaking up to 35kW. I used two 45-minute sessions to get a reasonable charge before giving up. I still had to unhitch, so it probably would have been worth my while to make the drive over to Stateline and use the Supercharger.

From there, we proceeded to DL Bliss and camped in a great site without hookups.

IMG_1818.jpg

After two days of camping and a bit of driving around, we were nearly able to make it to the Gardnerville Supercharger without stopping, but I chose to stop at Stateline anyway and top up for 15 minutes. Due to the parking garage, I had to unhitch in the back parking lot of the Hard Rock, which was no big deal.

In Gardnerville, we were able to charge without unhitching, and only blocked one stall (plus one for charging).
IMG_1827 2.jpg

Our campsite in June Lake was unremarkable, and I'd come down with a cold in addition to nearly breaking a toe on a root at the beach, so we couldn't do any major hikes. We enjoyed a loop around Gull Lake and scoped a USFS campground for the following days, which was a valuable excursion.

What we found was Aspen Campground up above Yosemite. First come, first served. I charged the X to full at June Lake and knew that we'd have plenty of charge going downhill to Groveland in a few days. EVTO, which was incredibly accurate on this trip, suggested that we'd have about 43% remaining when reaching Groveland. Given that, I felt confident we could stay a few days even with vampire drain.

The site we found was very rocky, not level, and took some serious focus to back into. But it was all worth it since we backed up to a waterfall in a gorgeous setting.

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

From there, we headed home. Downhill to Groveland went as expected. We arrived with.. 43% battery remaining. Thanks, EVTO! I was able to charge in Groveland without unhitching, and could easily back out instead of doing a loop in the parking lot.

IMG_1898.jpg

From there, we went to Manteca, where we were easily able to charge without unhitching in the new pull-through stalls. There was a Model S charging there with a utility trailer as well.

Out of Manteca, we were hit with fierce headwinds and were consuming 850Wh/mi headed west at about 55mph. I began to think I'd need to stop at Concord or maybe Napa on the way home. After climbing the pass, however, and turning north, the winds were mostly cross-winds and consumption dropped. The traffic that slowed me down to 35mph helped as well, and we made it back to Sonoma with 7% remaining. I was happy to park the camper and plug the X in.

Great trip, and our next one is a simple trip to Lassen in August.

@ecarfan had asked me separately about the drive down Tioga Pass Rd. with the camper. I took a photo at the Groveland Supercharger that's worth posting here.

"Since 8:27AM" is from the dump station located at Tuolumne Meadows: 195Wh/mi
"Since Last Charge" is from June Lake a few days prior: 350Wh/mi
"Trip A" is for the entire camping trip: 556Wh/mi (but note that there was a small amount of trailer-less driving in that number).

IMG_1899 2.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Rossy
Ohmman, did you do any fishing? The fishing on the June Lake Loop is superb (plus Rush Creek) as is Lee Vining Creek and the lakes along the creek plus Saddlebag. Nothing beats a tasty trout dinner in its elegant simplicity, or trout and eggs over easy for breakfast.

Reactions: McManX
Ohmman, did you do any fishing? The fishing on the June Lake Loop is superb (plus Rush Creek) as is Lee Vining Creek and the lakes along the creek plus Saddlebag. Nothing beats a tasty trout dinner in its elegant simplicity, or trout and eggs over easy for breakfast.
I haven't fished since I was a kid, except for a few rare occasions. However, you are correct that the June Lake and Lee Vining Creek fishing is very good; everywhere had fish cleaning stations and most people had poles. So, while charging at Manteca on the way home, we purchased rods for the family. We plan to fish when we camp in Lassen next month.

Reactions: cpa
Great trip report. The trailer charging "dance" brings back memories :eek:

Questions about the boondocking. Did you unplug the trailer from the MX or use it to keep the battery charged? I know you had posted about the drain last year. Also how long did you boondock and what was your limiting factor?

Questions about the boondocking. Did you unplug the trailer from the MX or use it to keep the battery charged? I know you had posted about the drain last year. Also how long did you boondock and what was your limiting factor?

I was concerned about vampire drain on the X, despite the good estimates from EVTO, so I unplugged. I also have a portable 160W solar “suitcase” which was enough to keep the battery charged. I had the fridge on propane, and we also cooked on propane, so my meager group 24 battery was adequate. I’m looking into upgrading to lithium, however. Middle of the summer is one thing - fall and spring are another.

I also have a 30 gallon Aquatank 2 water bladder. There was no water at Aspen Campground, but a nearby campground had water, so I drove over and got about 10 gallons to top up our 20 gallon tank on the second day. We could have gotten by without it, but it was nice to have a little extra.

In general, the limiting factor will be our 24 gallon grey water tank. Dumping grey water is illegal in national forests, and not advised in general. I can take outdoor showers but not everyone in my family is as, uh, amenable to that idea. My guess is that we can probably stretch it to 5 days of dry camping with a full bladder and tank, and careful grey water use.

Edit to add: That estimate is for the four of us. If it were just me, I’m quite certain I could go two weeks. ;)

Last edited: