Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmman's Airstream Adventures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lived with my +1 in the AS22 for about a year. It was quite the crucible but we (and our relationship) survived. The dinette cushions really are a recipe for back pain, but otherwise it was a good experience. Details are here: Airstream Towing Equipment Recommendations - Sport or Nest

My Airstream is on the market and if you'd like to view it, it's currently parked with a friend in Healdsburg, CA. You could take it for a trial of a few weeks if you'd like, after Thanksgiving. Message me to make arrangements. And don't miss the BBQ brisket at kinsmoke.com.

Thanks for the information and offer. We are still debating... with the 2 kids it could make the crucible worse.

What kind of range were you getting with the 75d? With 20” wheels is around 80-90 per full charge a reasonable expectation for 55-60 mph driving?

Lastly, what kind of fellowship were you doing? I do Ophtho up in Wa state.

I lived with my +1 in the AS22 for about a year. It was quite the crucible but we (and our relationship) survived. The dinette cushions really are a recipe for back pain, but otherwise it was a good experience. Details are here: Airstream Towing Equipment Recommendations - Sport or Nest

My Airstream is on the market and if you'd like to view it, it's currently parked with a friend in Healdsburg, CA. You could take it for a trial of a few weeks if you'd like, after Thanksgiving. Message me to make arrangements. And don't miss the BBQ brisket at kinsmoke.com.

And congrats on being done with fellowship!

A few shots of the rig from our recent trip to Joshua Tree and other campgrounds.

IMG_0848.jpeg
IMG_0974.jpeg
IMG_0519.jpeg
IMG_1036.jpeg

Thanks for the information and offer. We are still debating... with the 2 kids it could make the crucible worse.

What kind of range were you getting with the 75d? With 20” wheels is around 80-90 per full charge a reasonable expectation for 55-60 mph driving?

Lastly, what kind of fellowship were you doing? I do Ophtho up in Wa state.

Sorry for the delay! I've been busy relocating to Singapore.

Yes, my guideline is about 1% on the battery per mile, so 80–90 is just right at 55mph. You don't want to go much over 55mph anyway. It's the speed limit for towing on most highways, and the wind resistance goes up quadratically, IIRC.

I was doing a fellowship in computational law at codex.stanford.edu, working on designing a new programming language for computable contracts and regulations. The goal is to build tools that do for qualitative reasoning what spreadsheets do for quantitative reasoning. I was on campus about once a week for meetings, so it was a treat to live around the Bay Area, under the redwoods by Santa Cruz, in the middle of wine country up in Sonoma and Napa, and commuting from Half Moon Bay by the coast.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Hey folks! I've been pouring through all these threads for some time now. We had our first go at towing our Mantis in early April and it went fairly well, all things considered. I'm looking at a trip that is not as well supported with SuperChargers as the previous one and wonder what disaster planning looks like for all y'all. My SCs are spaced at 90 miles, 130 miles, and 190 miles apart on our drive from Denver to Santa Fe on I-25. On I-70, chargers are plentiful and spaced well for our setup at 90 miles apart. Depending on all the factors, 90 miles seemed like a good stopping point for us to count on charging. I might be able to make the 130 mile stretch, then we'll camp midway through the 190 mile stretch. But what does your planning look like for these nail biter segments that are pushing your comfort?IMG_20190407_093202.jpg

Hey folks! I've been pouring through all these threads for some time now. We had our first go at towing our Mantis in early April and it went fairly well, all things considered. I'm looking at a trip that is not as well supported with SuperChargers as the previous one and wonder what disaster planning looks like for all y'all. My SCs are spaced at 90 miles, 130 miles, and 190 miles apart on our drive from Denver to Santa Fe on I-25. On I-70, chargers are plentiful and spaced well for our setup at 90 miles apart. Depending on all the factors, 90 miles seemed like a good stopping point for us to count on charging. I might be able to make the 130 mile stretch, then we'll camp midway through the 190 mile stretch. But what does your planning look like for these nail biter segments that are pushing your comfort?View attachment 405046
Planning for long stretches is definitely part of the process. My methodology is to use Plugshare to find potential emergency charging locations along the way. Then, I note what my SOC should be when I pass those locations - if I'm over consuming, then I may choose to stop. I also, obviously, slow down. But my failsafe plan is if I look as if I'm not going to make it to a Supercharger, I can drive as close as is reasonable, stop in a parking lot and unhitch the trailer, then drive the car untethered to the Supercharger, charge, and return for the trailer. I've been in some tight situations, but haven't had to use that one to date.

I plugged the trip from Denver to Sante Fe into EVTripPlanner.

Denver to Colorado Springs SC 70 miles
Colorado Springs SC to Trinidad SC 132 miles
Trinidad SC to Las Vegas NM SC 124 miles
Las Vegas NM SC to Sante Fe 68 miles

You don't say if you have a MX 75, 90, or 100. Unladen ranges ~237 miles, ~257 miles, and ~289 miles. Typical non-aerodynamic trailer use the 50% rule for range reduction. So 118, 128, and 144 respectively.

Given how tight the middle two legs will be I would stop at one of the numerous non-Tesla chargers about half way between Colorado Springs and Trinidad. If you use a 10kw J1772 or NEMA 14-50, a one hour stop will give you about 16 extra miles.

Between Trinidad and Las Vegas you can do the same thing. Or camp overnight and top off as you suggested.

If in doubt when towing start slow. Use the trip planner consumption as your guide instead of the speedometer. Go whatever speed keeps your last 30 mile average consumption under ~600 wH/mile. This applies not only to long segments between SC's but also to segments with elevation gain, head wind, or bad weather. Also, I generally won't go faster than 50mph on a 55mph speed limit; 55mph on a 65mph speed limit; and 62mph on anything higher.

I plugged the trip from Denver to Sante Fe into EVTripPlanner.

Denver to Colorado Springs SC 70 miles
Colorado Springs SC to Trinidad SC 132 miles
Trinidad SC to Las Vegas NM SC 124 miles
Las Vegas NM SC to Sante Fe 68 miles
But, be prepared for a longer stop in Colorado Springs. The SC is in a tight multi-story parking garage that I don't see how it can accommodate a large trailer. You'll have to find somewhere legal to unhitch and then charge.

Sorry to reply on this very old thread, but this is what comes up when you search for Lake Quinault Lodge.

I was thrilled to discover over the weekend that Lake Quinault Lodge has installed two 30 Amp J1772 Level 2 chargers. I was hoping to snarf up a little marginal charge to get back to Aberdeen, but ended up charging to 100% overnight. Very cool! The two spots are also heavily marked and parking spots painted as EV-only, so they weren't ICEd.

On the downside, there don't seem to be any of the old 110V plugs around, so if those two spots are filled or ICEd, then you get nothing (unless you pull around to the shed and use an extension cord to plug into 110V. I think the two EV chargers will start being occupied all the time when Tesla users realize they are there! In any case, I wouldn't recommend counting on any more than slow charging (with a back up plan for no charging available!). Hopefully, the front desk will facilitate sharing and call EV owners to free their spot for others in some equitable manner.

Getting around the Olympic Peninsula was not exactly smooth. I knew I wanted to climb to Hurricane Ridge, and since Sequim was not yet open I was able to charge at a CHAdeMO at a Nissan dealership. That night, we camped at Sol Duc, which has full hook ups and 50 amp service. We left with a full charge, and stopped in Forks at the RV park. There was some trouble charging as the breaker continue to flip off. I knew that the Kalaloch campground had a 14-50 listed on PlugShare. I also knew that it would be a risk whether or not I could charge there, but eventually decided we would give it a shot. One hour there while walking the beach would give us enough breathing room to make it to Aberdeen.

I found the plug, plugged in, and was immediately approached by a ranger who told me to unplug. Her words to me were, "you are stealing from the federal government." I explained that I would be happy to drop money in the campground slot, and described what I was trying to accomplish with this trip. She was having none of it and was adamantly opposed to my doing anything relating to getting power from that campsite.

My back up plan was in Lake Quinault. There was a wall outlet available at the lodge, and we could take a hike through the rain forest for a few hours while the car got enough of a boost to get us closer to Aberdeen. Arriving at the lodge, I found that the wall plugs, labeled as EV plugs, were inoperable. Two maintenance personnel attempted to assist me in getting them back online, but we were unable to do so. Eventually, they offered to run an extension cord into the shop so that I could charge. At this point, I had had enough. I had unhooked the trailer both times to charge and had gone out of my way slightly, burning up extra range. We hiked the rain forest, and I drove from 38 to 40 mph all the way to Aberdeen. We arrived, as I noted in the previous post, with enough range.

My plan the entire time was to drive until my car's rated range was equal to the distance to the Supercharger. I knew I could drive slowly enough in the X to achieve better than rated range if unhitched. Once I reached that point, I would unhitch the trailer, drive to the Supercharger, charge enough to come back and get the trailer and return to the supercharger, and then finish my charge. I'm thankful it didn't come to that, but it was a completely viable back up.

The lesson learned was that I should not have relied on a risky charger in no man's land. Probably obvious ahead of time, but I was very determined to see the entirety of the peninsula. Despite my issues, I'm glad I went, because it is a gorgeous park. I will keep my opinion on the park's rangers to myself.

Reactions: ohmman
Hey folks! I've been pouring through all these threads for some time now. We had our first go at towing our Mantis in early April and it went fairly well, all things considered. I'm looking at a trip that is not as well supported with SuperChargers as the previous one and wonder what disaster planning looks like for all y'all. My SCs are spaced at 90 miles, 130 miles, and 190 miles apart on our drive from Denver to Santa Fe on I-25. On I-70, chargers are plentiful and spaced well for our setup at 90 miles apart. Depending on all the factors, 90 miles seemed like a good stopping point for us to count on charging. I might be able to make the 130 mile stretch, then we'll camp midway through the 190 mile stretch. But what does your planning look like for these nail biter segments that are pushing your comfort?View attachment 405046

I am six weeks into a road trip through the southwest with a LR M3 Dual Motor, pulling a T@G XL Teardrop trailer. Our strategy is to stay overnight at a campground that has 50 amp service, wake up with a full charge, travel to the next supercharger on our route, stop and make lunch while we charge, then motor on to the next campground.

I use EV Trip Planner app for routing. While underway, I check the energy gauge every 15 minutes to make sure that our actual consumption is close to the estimated consumption, and adjust speed accordingly, adding in a spouse-mandated buffer. We usually cruise at 60 or 65. Usually 60 for the first half of the route, to reduce nail-biting during the second half. We have had two close calls with fuel starvation in six weeks, both induced by pilot error. Not bad for our maiden voyage.

I use Plugshare to locate non-Tesla chargers, as well as Allstays RV app, which I can set to filter for RV parks with 50 Amp service. Plugshare does not list all the campgrounds, and Allstays has found a few that we charged at in mid-day, just to get us to the next destination. Campgrounds are slowly catching on to the potential revenue stream that EV’s represent.

I would like to thank all the other Tesla tow-ers that have posted their experiences with pulling trailers. Without the benefit of your experiences, I might not have had the nerve to try what is turning out to be the trip of a lifetime.

8888C6DB-DEA8-4E97-B114-0D66187229CA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you like the T@G trailer?
Does it tow well behind the M3?
Comfortable?

The T@G XL itself is very impressive. Build quality and design are better than anything I have seen in the RV industry, with many smart touches that add to comfort and utility. The XL is six feet wide, so the interior is basically a king size bed. Since we could not find a way to set up a 7 pin connection to the M3, we use a 4 pin adapter to connect to the M3. Which means we don’t get a trickle charge from the he M3 to the trailer battery. So we added a solar panel on the trailer so the battery stays charged while under way. We did spend some time fiddling with the setup on the bed, and would up adding a mattress topper to the existing mattress.

It tows very well behind the M3. Aerodynamics matters more than weight, so I suppose we would get more efficiency with a regular teardrop, which is only five feet wide. The Stealthitch works flawlessly. And while we do feel a difference when towing, it’s no big deal. The Dual Motor probably helps, and it’s feels like there is no hill it could not climb, albeit at the cost of some range.

In sum, we started this trip with some uncertainty, but so far it’s working out beautifully. We have been away for over a month, and we feel like we could just keep going.

The T@G XL itself is very impressive. Build quality and design are better than anything I have seen in the RV industry, with many smart touches that add to comfort and utility. The XL is six feet wide, so the interior is basically a king size bed. Since we could not find a way to set up a 7 pin connection to the M3, we use a 4 pin adapter to connect to the M3. Which means we don’t get a trickle charge from the he M3 to the trailer battery. So we added a solar panel on the trailer so the battery stays charged while under way. We did spend some time fiddling with the setup on the bed, and would up adding a mattress topper to the existing mattress.

It tows very well behind the M3. Aerodynamics matters more than weight, so I suppose we would get more efficiency with a regular teardrop, which is only five feet wide. The Stealthitch works flawlessly. And while we do feel a difference when towing, it’s no big deal. The Dual Motor probably helps, and it’s feels like there is no hill it could not climb, albeit at the cost of some range.

In sum, we started this trip with some uncertainty, but so far it’s working out beautifully. We have been away for over a month, and we feel like we could just keep going.
Great to hear your positive experience. I'm looking at teardrop type trailers and have also been impressed with the T@G.

Hi Meredith, what kind of consumption did you get with the mantis? Eg what kwh/mi did you get or what range could you get while towing and what battery pack does your model X have? Thanks, Chris

Planning for long stretches is definitely part of the process. My methodology is to use Plugshare to find potential emergency charging locations along the way. Then, I note what my SOC should be when I pass those locations - if I'm over consuming, then I may choose to stop. I also, obviously, slow down. But my failsafe plan is if I look as if I'm not going to make it to a Supercharger, I can drive as close as is reasonable, stop in a parking lot and unhitch the trailer, then drive the car untethered to the Supercharger, charge, and return for the trailer. I've been in some tight situations, but haven't had to use that one to date.
@ohmman Did the recent range increase to the Model X Long Range cause you to think about upgrading? 68 extra miles of range in quite an increase from your 90D. If memory serves me, I believe you have mentioned in the past that you would consider upgrading if there was a range increase.

@ohmman Did the recent range increase to the Model X Long Range cause you to think about upgrading? 68 extra miles of range in quite an increase from your 90D. If memory serves me, I believe you have mentioned in the past that you would consider upgrading if there was a range increase.
I did, and continue to think about it. I was very close to ordering before our upcoming 2000 mile trip, but I think I've decided to wait another year. 68 extra miles is probably more like 34 miles with the camper. Significant, for sure, but to trade for what's effectively the same car, and take a $50k bump due to depreciation? Probably not the best financial choice.

Once this trip is behind us, there is very little benefit to the upgrade until our next long camping trip. Most of our closer trips are quite easy with a stop or two to charge. So hopefully next spring when the X turns 4 years old, we can look at replacing it.

In other news, I had two 120Ah lithium batteries installed over the winter, and just completed installing some rooftop solar myself. I also installed a 2000W sine wave inverter, a cell phone booster, and a wireless backup camera to replace my cool-but-unreliable Tesla backup camera extension.

We're making our way up to Victoria via the coast and back down through the major Cascades peaks.

I've been towing an R-POD with my 90D since spring last year and was thinking on a possible upgrade for range. With all the recent talk of the Tesla pickup, I'm leaning to wait a few more years and get that one for towing instead and leave the X as family car when not towing.

@ohmman, Nice to hear about your airstream updates. I did a similar thing to my R-POD, but on a lower budget, 200AH SLA battery, 2000W Xantrex prosine inverter and 2 flex solar panels on the roof.

Reactions: KJD and ohmman