Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmman's Airstream Adventures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am here in Banff and doing well. We made it across the border without much hassle at all. Honestly, I was surprised they didn't ask to look inside of the trailer. I could have been hauling @cpa illegally into Canada, ready to undercut Canadian accountants' rates. They did ask repeatedly which firearms I was carrying. As I continued to point out that I don't have firearms, they pushed and pushed until I admitted that I had bear spray. AHA! Caught red-handed.

We drove from St. Mary (KOA Glacier Park St. Mary) with a full charge to the Fort MacLeod Supercharger. Easy trip with elevation loss. 73.6 miles, 491Wh/mi (vehicle reported - TeslaFi only has part of that trip due to network connectivity). The charger was vacant and was well set up for charging without unhitching except in very full situations.

IMG_3966.JPG

We needed a full charge and slow driving to make it from Fort McLeod to Crossiron Mills, and it took exactly 1 hour, 0 minutes. Then, on to Calgary. 119.1 miles, 568Wh/mi (vehicle), 626Wh/mi (TeslaFi). The discrepancy between what the car tells us and what the API is telling TeslaFi appears to be in the total kWh consumed. In this case, distance being the same, the car says I used 67.7kWh and TeslaFi says 74.57kWh. Again, I'm not sure why they don't agree, but I tend to agree more with the TeslaFi numbers considering I used nearly a full battery of charge on that trip. I drove between 82 and 88km/h for most of that trip, on a road with 110km/h speed limits. Thankfully it was sparsely driven and I kept to the right. Once I entered Calgary, I saw I had enough charge to increase to 100km/h so as not to be run down.

We charged for 51 minutes in Crossiron Mills, while eating some food from the enormous Food Hall. That site seems OK for charging with a trailer, but due to cars parked adjacent to (and when I arrived, ICEing) the Supercharger, I found it necessary to unhitch or I'd block the vast majority of the stalls. We finally saw our first Tesla in ages there. A couple of older guys pulled in, plugged in, smoked a pipe, and then left about 10 minutes later.

IMG_3969.JPG

Going to Canmore was going to be easy, so I drove 95-100kph (usually around 60mph). 75.14 miles, 654Wh/mi (car), 727Wh/mi (TeslaFi). A note to future trailer haulers - Canmore is a dead end parking lot, and while it has plenty of space for a U-turn with trailer, it isn't so easy when there is a utility trailer blocking most of the lot. It turned into a quite stressful maneuver for me, but thankfully we got turned around. Once I went through that, I stayed hitched despite blocking 3 stalls. Good thing - nobody else showed up in the 29 minutes I charged.

IMG_3970.JPG

After that, we stopped at Safeway to load up (grocery situation around Glacier is quite lackluster), and headed the 18 miles to our campground in Banff. We had a site without hookups last night, as it was an add-on to my original reservation. The site for the next three days has hookups and I had understood it to have a 14-50. It does not. It has a 15A and 30A outlet. We had a busy day of hiking today, but when we got back I asked for a 50A site. They were sold out for the day and suggested I ask again tomorrow to move. I found a vacant spot, plugged in the X, and left a note to call me or stop by my site so I could move the car immediately. Nobody showed up and I moved the car at 8:30pm tonight after adding about 75 miles of range. I'll check again in the morning for vacant spots and opportunities for charging.

Last edited:
Ohmman; if you have the time I recommended you take a day and take HWY 93 north from Lake Louise to the Columbia Icefields. It is an epic drive, the scenery is jaw dropping as you drive along the great divide. At the ice fields you can take a bus that drives up on a glacier. The kids will love it!
Believe me, this was on the list. The Columbia Icefields and Jasper are something I'd love to fit in, but the charging infrastructure makes it very sketchy. If we were camping in Lake Louise it might be doable, but I couldn't find any 14-50s in that campground (even though Plugshare suggests they may be there). The Fairmont has a HPWC but I'm guessing it's for guests only. I'd definitely have to make the drive without the trailer and try to round trip it. I'm still interested, so if I'm missing something from a charging perspective please let me know. We can be flexible on our plans.

• Informative
Reactions: Rossy
Sounds like you researched it already. I was thinking the same thing. Leave Lake Louise with 100% and sans trailer. I would think that would get you back and forth, I'm sure the Icefields Centre has 120V you could borrow while there but probably not even worth it. Jasper is fairly close and there are several L2's including a couple Destination chargers there as well that appear to be available to non hotel guests; hmm yes certainly do-able but requires careful planning.

Last edited:
I am here in Banff and doing well. We made it across the border without much hassle at all. Honestly, I was surprised they didn't ask to look inside of the trailer. I could have been hauling @cpa illegally into Canada, ready to undercut Canadian accountants' rates. They did ask repeatedly which firearms I was carrying. As I continued to point out that I don't have firearms, they pushed and pushed until I admitted that I had bear spray. AHA! Caught red-handed.

Ohmman, I surreptitiously jumped out of your Airstream shortly before you arrived at the port of entry on highway 89. But you have given me a good idea for my slogan: "Never undersold." You could be my spokessimian for my advertising campaign.

Seriously, though, glad you made it to Banff and that you and your family are doing well. I trust Wohmman is off the DL and will be able to enjoy the sights and partake in the festivities.

Then, on to Calgary. 119.1 miles, 568Wh/mi (vehicle), 626Wh/mi (TeslaFi). The discrepancy between what the car tells us and what the API is telling TeslaFi appears to be in the total kWh consumed. In this case, distance being the same, the car says I used 67.7kWh and TeslaFi says 74.57kWh. Again, I'm not sure why they don't agree, but I tend to agree more with the TeslaFi numbers considering I used nearly a full battery of charge on that trip
Very interesting, thanks for the report.

When you say that you used "nearly a full battery", would it be feasible to try to calculate the remaining kWh and see why usage figure is more plausible?

When you say that you used "nearly a full battery", would it be feasible to try to calculate the remaining kWh and see why usage figure is more plausible?
It might be. This last trip was the first where I made sure to take photos of the trip readout at all Supercharger stops. I can also compare my SOC or rated miles remaining to try to figure out which is more accurate. I haven't poked around the TeslaFi thread here on TMC, either.. maybe I'll make a few minutes for that.

Apologies for the non-Tesla, non-towing content, but we were able to take in the following view from the top of Sulfur Mountain in Banff today. Tomorrow we are headed to Lake Louise for a tea house hike (Six Glaciers) and if we can get a full charge at the Fairmont, will take an afternoon drive up to the Columbia Icefields, then back to the campground. Next haul is on Wednesday east towards Kamloops, and eventually, @Canuck.

MtSulfur.png

You've seen his avatar right? You want to invite that dude to your place! To hell with him, if you have waterfront property and an 80 amp service I can be there by Thursday. :D

I could be there 8 hours from now. Party @Canuck's place!

You're both invited. I have spare bedrooms for each of you. I'm serious even if you're not. PM me for directions and get in those Teslas and drive... it's shaping up to be a nice weekend...

Tulameen, British Columbia 7 Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Network

Last edited:
Good news. Turns out TeslaFi uses an approximation to get Wh/mi numbers. So my lower numbers were the accurate ones. The bad news is that I didn't take photos at all stops. The developer suggests that a % factor should bring me into reasonable range so I'll adjust accordingly.

Driving through Golden and Revelstoke today en route to Shuswap Lake, then off to visit with @Canuck tomorrow.

Good news. Turns out TeslaFi uses an approximation to get Wh/mi numbers. So my lower numbers were the accurate ones. The bad news is that I didn't take photos at all stops. The developer suggests that a % factor should bring me into reasonable range so I'll adjust accordingly.

Driving through Golden and Revelstoke today en route to Shuswap Lake, then off to visit with @Canuck tomorrow.
I would offer to come by and say Hi, but leaving for TMC Connect early tomorrow morning. Sorry to have missed you on this trip. Really loving this thread. Thanks for keeping us all posted on your adventure.

Reactions: ModelX and ohmman

How is Tesla navigation working for you from Banff to Golden? I had trouble as it calculated wrong route with excessive kilometers and the projected range obviously was very low. I used my Cell phone navigation for that route and reached Golden with no range issues and a sigh of relief.
Thanks for sharing , really enjoying this thread.