Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmman's Airstream Adventures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are on day 8 of our travels and all is going well. Just a note to let anyone reading know that Airstream has discontinued the Sport as of the 2020 lineup and the new 22’ Bambi is 8’ wide instead of 7’3”. They no longer offer a narrow body camper, which is a shame for anyone concerned about range and efficiency. There is a weight increase as well.

Oh, and Oregon State Parks continue to impress me.

More later but we are back in the US from Victoria and are camping near the Skagit River and North Cascades NP.

199FC7E1-060F-4784-A49F-E507DBF4EFAA.jpeg

I recently read Ohmman's hair-raising episode from Corning to Vacaville on his most recent adventure. As luck should have it, I found a photograph of Ohmman's first travel rig among my collections of sundry famous people. Note that Ohmman has dark hair in this picture, as compared with his more recent whitish hair. It is unclear if the change in the color of his hair is coincidental with his new travel rig or not.

trailer travel.jpg

Hey all.

First off, thanks ohmman for answering my questions and providing all the very useful insights.

I’ve rented an Airstream Sport 22’ to tow with 100D Model X for a short getaway. This’ll help us decide if we make the plunge and buy. The equipment I’m planning on buying:

-Weigh Safe Tow Mount (for the scale, won’t offset)

-Prodigy P3 brake controller

-CURT 7-way tester to ensure the harness is working.

I am not buying an LED light adapter as I understand that issue is fixed with the latest firmware? Is that correct?

All other thoughts welcome!

Hey all.

First off, thanks ohmman for answering my questions and providing all the very useful insights.

I’ve rented an Airstream Sport 22’ to tow with 100D Model X for a short getaway. This’ll help us decide if we make the plunge and buy. The equipment I’m planning on buying:

I am not buying an LED light adapter as I understand that issue is fixed with the latest firmware? Is that correct?

Looks good. I cannot speak to the LED adapter, as I have one and always use it. My X is over 3 years old, though.

Hey all.

Oooh renting! Where did you rent? I may try that.

Looks good. I cannot speak to the LED adapter, as I have one and always use it. My X is over 3 years old, though.

So we've just returned from a short getaway with our June 2017 X100D and the 2019 Airstream Sport 22' that I rented. I'll start off by saying that we absolutely loved the experience. It was out first time towing and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Without all the precious advice we got here on TMC from ohmman, jimvandergriff, mengwong and others, I'm quite sure it would not have been that way so thank you all. In the spirit of giving back, I wanted to share some of what we experienced.

RANGE

As it was our first experience, only had a few days and had to head back home to drop off my significant other and pick up the teens half way through, I kept the distances to a minimum (around 400 miles total) which means charging was not an issue. We visited two different campgrounds where we stayed long enough to charge on 15 amps. Only once did I have to use a SuperCharger and block a few stalls. Luckily, it was not busy. See photo! In terms of the impacts of the trailer on range, I can only say ohmman and jimvanderriff are bang on. At highway speeds, I lost between 40 and 50% of my rated range. Note I rarely went above 60-65 MPH and spent most of my time at 55-60 MPH. On country roads, it was closer to 30% on flat surfaces.

HANDLING

I chose to hitch with the OEM receiver and, as advised, no sway or WD system. Frankly, although I cannot compare having never towed before, we did not notice significant sway. I never felt unsafe. I did, however, notice some wobbling when going over bumps at higher speeds. By that I mean the car's front and back ends going up and down slightly. As you'll see below, at one point, stability control on the X got disabled. During that short time, oddly enough, I did feel more sway and less wobbling. Could be just be my perception but that would be logical as I understood trailer mode adjusted braking and stability control to minimize sway. Again, I have no prior experience. That being said, I did not experience anything that would not make me want to try that set up again. I haven't removed the receiver yet. Will inspect it and report back after I have.

ACCESSORIES

The LED lights of the Airstream worked fine, no adapter needed though I had the TowReady one just in case. I only had one glitch which I believe was related to the 7-blade connector. After going over a train track and tough pavement around it, the X started giving me a number of errors (ABS, stability control, regen, autopilot, etc. disabled - see photo). Stopped by the side of the road and noticed the 7-blade connected was slightly unseated. I unplugged the cable and noticed the trailer icon was still showing in the dash. Powering off completely cleared the icon but not the errors. Drove a while and the errors remained. Only when I stopped again, unplugged the brake controller, unplugged the trailer connector and powered off the car did the errors go away (also tried the famous reboots to no avail). I believe the loose cable caused some sort of short which freaked out the car and a full powering off was required to clear the errors and that the first time, I didn't really power the car off as the brake controller was still plugged in. Just a theory but I will DuckTape that cable next time!

I also had HaulGauge to measure tongue weight and weight distribution. Although it did correctly measure my body weight in the trunk before getting the Airtstream and tongue weight when trying out a Uhaul trailer to practice my backing up skills ;-), I could never get it to work again the two times I tried when hitching the Airstream for some reason. In both cases, it gave me no reading in the app. And because I was on a busy road picking up the travel trailer the first time and then under heavy rain the second time, I didn't play with it too much. I plan on trying again next time I hitch.

Brake control was through the Prodigy P3. Worked fine in the X. Had it at 5 power level but propably could have gone down to 4. No boost. Did not notice it sending brake voltage when on regen though. Thought I read somewhere on TMC it would.

AIRSTREAM

We've always eyed Airstreams. Towing and camping in one finally was a blast. It did not disappoint and provided the experience we hoped for. Noticed some of the fit and finish issues reported by others. Small stuff really that wouldn't hold us back from buying (but at that price, like Teslas, you expect a higher quality I suppose).

Now our dilemma is the following. We know the 2019 22' Sport provides the sweet spot in terms of space and weight for us electric towers. However, while comfortable for 2 and then 3 in the second half of our journey, we're not sure about it for our full family of 2 adults and 2 teens. Would seem tight, especially that dinette bed. I guess we could ship the kids to a tent... There's also the reality they likely won't follow us for very long still!

We also wouldn't mind some of the extra amenities of the Caravel series (quieter AC, better stove, etc.). So, we're now debating grabbing up a 2019 22' Sport or swapping up the OEM receiver for the Draw-Tite allowing us to bear the Caravel tongue weight (would never even consider exceeding that with the Bosal receiver). Or, we wait for the Tesla pickup and get a 25' Flying Cloud. ;-) But something tells we wouldn't be camping in the near future... One thing is sure, we want to camp and do so in an EV.

Anyway, thanks for the advice all and hope some of my experiences are helpful to others. Happy to answer any questions.

Attachments

• IMG_0666.jpeg
    IMG_0666.jpeg
    409.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0670.jpeg
    IMG_0670.jpeg
    633.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0673.jpeg
    IMG_0673.jpeg
    890.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0689.jpeg
    IMG_0689.jpeg
    1,003.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0697.jpeg
    IMG_0697.jpeg
    593.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Now our dilemma is the following. We know the 2019 22' Sport provides the sweet spot in terms of space and weight for us electric towers. However, while comfortable for 2 and then 3 in the second half of our journey, we're not sure about it for our full family of 2 adults and 2 teens. Would seem tight, especially that dinette bed. I guess we could ship the kids to a tent... There's also the reality they likely won't follow us for very long still!
First, congratulations on your first trip. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it. It really is a great time, isn't it?

I believe I posted upthread the modification I did to our dinette. Our kids are younger than yours (9 and 12) but the board I cut extends the dinette to a full-sized bed. I use the existing extra cushions to make the bed, and put a full sized mattress topper over it. All of that gets moved to our bed in the morning. I used to have screw-in legs, but this last trip I moved to using two aluminum folding tables that are 12" tall. They're useful for a number of other things at camp, and they're the perfect height to hold the extension in place securely. The full sized bed, along with separate bedding for each of the kids makes it pretty effective for 4. Just a thought.