Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmmu 12V Battery Feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the error today and checked the voltage, getting 12.6v on multimeter. Have changed back to Lead acid, have been on the ohmmu for 10 months on M3P and M3LR without issue, this is annoying since I spent so much money on the pair.

I have given up on Ohmmu support and have considered the $480 I spent on the battery a sunk cost. However, we should not let them off the hook. The non-response from them is simply bad business practice. Please join me in filing a consumer complaint against their business practice by filing with your state's consumer affairs department. I hope our collective voices will prompt them to officially respond on how they plan to address this issue.

Reactions: Dysan911
I got the error today and checked the voltage, getting 12.6v on multimeter. Have changed back to Lead acid, have been on the ohmmu for 10 months on M3P and M3LR without issue, this is annoying since I spent so much money on the pair.
File a consumer complaint via your state's consumer affairs division. That's what I did in NJ. Have not gotten a response yet but the more voices across the US, the more this gets attention.

File a consumer complaint via your state's consumer affairs division. That's what I did in NJ. Have not gotten a response yet but the more voices across the US, the more this gets attention.
NJ referred me instead to file a complaint with the Arizona Attorney General. https://www.azag.gov/complaints/consumer

You can copy/paste or revise to your specifics what I wrote if you like:

Primary Party or Firm Information​

Name:
Ohmmu
Address:
10411 N 43rd St
Phoenix, AZ 85028
Phone:
480-244-3569
Email Address:
[email protected]
Website Address:
ohmmu.com

Complaint​

Please explain the entire circumstances surrounding your complaint below:
Business is not responding to my request to claim a warranty/refund due to failure of performance of product. Background: Product I purchased is a 12V Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) battery marketed to specifically work for the Tesla Model 3, bought on November 19, 2021. Battery has a 4 year warranty. During that time, the warranty has no stated exclusion on any Tesla car software updates which could render the product incompatible. Product worked satisfactorily until Tesla introduced subsequent software updates to the car which now renderred the Ohmmu battery essentially unrecognized because the car now posts a warning that the battery needs to be replaced (despite it being new). Ohmmu support does not respond to email when asking how they would address this issue. I also emailed them about my intent to claim a warranty. Both cases, there was no response from Ohmmu. The only change I noticed on their website is the warranty has since been revised to exclude Tesla software updates. Further, they are no longer selling this product for the Tesla Model 3, with a claim on the website that it is now out of stock. Curiously, it's been out of stock ever since existing Model 3 customers started complaining about it.

I included my Ohmmu purchase email and Ohmmu's automatic email ack when I sent a warranty claim.

Latest from Ohmmu:

We will have a V4+ available in a few weeks. This model is our V4 with Bluetooth access and our Ohmmu App (iPhone and Android) , this model we believe will alleviate most issues being faced in the 3/Y vehicles today.
So.......I assume you'll do the right thing and allow all of us with the previous unusable battery to swap it out straight across. Right?

I have given up on Ohmmu support and have considered the $480 I spent on the battery a sunk cost. However, we should not let them off the hook. The non-response from them is simply bad business practice. Please join me in filing a consumer complaint against their business practice by filing with your state's consumer affairs department. I hope our collective voices will prompt them to officially respond on how they plan to address this issue.
Did you purchase with a credit card? You could dispute the charge with your credit card company too.

i bought the Ohhmu battery for my Performance Model 3. It worked great until there was an update from Tesla. Apparently, Tesla is aware that this battery is not OEM and through the software quarantines it. Ohmmu tells me they are working on it, but no solution yet. I bought a Tesla battery (which had i known there was a 50K warranty on and would have been free) battery for an additional $119, but feel a little taken. Ohmmu has stopped communicating with me, so i think i am out the 439 i paid, but you might want to think about that before purchasing...
Exactly the same situation that has happened to me. Had mine for only 6 months. Ohmmu originally said they would replace my battery but then stopped responding to me. I now notice in their updated warranty that if Tesla does a software update and locks out Ohmmu batteries that voids the Ohmmu warranty. Don’t think I will purchase another one at that price as it may happen again.

Exactly the same situation that has happened to me. Had mine for only 6 months. Ohmmu originally said they would replace my battery but then stopped responding to me. I now notice in their updated warranty that if Tesla does a software update and locks out Ohmmu batteries that voids the Ohmmu warranty. Don’t think I will purchase another one at that price as it may happen again.
I looked and that’s correct. The way Tesla keeps tinkering with 12 volt charging profile that could be a negative game changer. I understand Ohmmu reasoning but since there is no way to predict Tesla future actions I would have to say no and I have been a strong advocate. Now it appears (without further field testing) that the 2022.28.x software MAY have increased charging voltage by .2-.3v which may end the error messages generated. But again more testing is needed. Not sure if the V4+ would work on the FSDBeta branch of software. The BMS is supposed to be resettable via Bluetooth and adjustable in future updates but still the burden falls on the user.

Last edited:
Since Ohmmu won’t bother replacing my battery and they stopped communicating with me, I keep it topped off in the garage and take it on my 6400 mile trips to the East Coast and back as a spare, it’s only 11 Lbs. But bad customer service and a lot of us are out.

So glad I never bought the Ohmmu despite all the youtubers pushing it probably because they were paid. It literally makes no sense to spend that much more money on a battery that isn’t supported by the seller, gives problems with updates and Tesla service. Just replace your factory battery yourself for $90 every 2 years and live a happy and carefree life.

"We are currently supporting all Tesla vehicles - we provide 12V batteries for the Model S, Model 3, Model X, and Model Y."

*YMMV. Warranty not valid on Tesla Model S, 3, X, or Y batteries if we don't like what Tesla does.

It's kind of hilarious- Ohmmu goes and sells a completely wrong chemistry battery to Teslas, the most advanced battery chargers and maintainers on the planet, claiming to know more than Tesla, and then tells you that they could have never predicted that it might not work long term, so there's no warranty on that particular application.

So much for the claim right on the front page of the site: "Longest Lasting 12V Batteries" - the 12V batteries in my Teslas have lasted 4+ years without any issues, yet no Ohmmu has ever made it that long without needing maintenance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wennfred
So glad I never bought the Ohmmu despite all the youtubers pushing it probably because they were paid. It literally makes no sense to spend that much more money on a battery that isn’t supported by the seller, gives problems with updates and Tesla service. Just replace your factory battery yourself for $90 every 2 years and live a happy and carefree life.
None of those issues were present in early 2020 and didn't start appearing for about a year later. So incompatibility issues were not known.

None of those issues were present in early 2020 and didn't start appearing for about a year later. So incompatibility issues were not known.
I know, who could have seen this coming? I mean Tesla only famously, loudly OTA's their cars every 2 weeks and has completely changed how they work, perform, and charge many times. But yeah, let's assume because some batteries failed in 2019 that Tesla will just ignore that forever, never change their algorithms, and throwing in a completely different chemistry will solve our perceived issues. Then if Tesla does mess that up, we'll just petition them.

Oh, but you forget that the actual reason for the battery was BASS, right? I mean, they promise you that you get more bass? (please ignore that DC-DC converter in the corner)

Meanwhile, I was having some persistent 12v errors.

Tesla Mobile Service swapped my v3 Ohmmu for a new Tesla 12v at my cost on August 8.

By mid-September, the 'normal' 12v errors have been occurring with the replacement Tesla 12V battery.

I have a v4 Ohmmu on the way; we'll see what happens with the 2 replacement batteries.

So.......I assume you'll do the right thing and allow all of us with the previous unusable battery to swap it out straight across. Right?
For sure that is what they should do and I understand the anger that people feel about the apparent disappearance in terms of communications about warranty and replacement. However they did replace mine with no charge, let me keep the old one which still works just fine, and are committed to getting version 4 out to everybody. I think you can appreciate the stress that puts on a company when they realize that most of batteries they have sold to M3 customers they are now going to have to warranty replace due to Tesla's charging routines being a moving goal post. Apparently they have changed the 12 volt charging code more than a dozen times just in the last several months. Not only has this caused Ohmmu's battery issues, it has apparently also led to a high failure rate of lead OEM stock batteries. Two days or so after their first 12 volt operating system revision this Spring, my wife's battery failed. Our cars are now past warranty so an interesting question is if this process continues, will the replacement of those OEM batteries be on the customer's nickel. I would bet it does. While I do think that Ohmmu has done a poor job of communicating with people, and needs to put out a full and comprehensive statement about the problems and their solution with a realistic timetable, keep in mind that Tesla has been stranding customers for years because they do not know how to run a 12 volt subsystem. On average and again this is on average it appears that a 12 volt lead acid battery on a Tesla lasts less than half it's expected lifetime on an internal combustion engine. So something is amiss not merely with ohmmu but with Tesla on this. So let's not lose the big picture here. Ohmmu deserves the anger that people feel about their poor communication and if they don't honor a warranty people should pursue them. Not sure why they've been pretty responsive to me and much less responsive to others. That's obviously not fair either.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, I was having some persistent 12v errors.

Tesla Mobile Service swapped my v3 Ohmmu for a new Tesla 12v at my cost on August 8.

By mid-September, the 'normal' 12v errors have been occurring with the replacement Tesla 12V battery.

I have a v4 Ohmmu on the way; we'll see what happens with the 2 replacement batteries.
One of the problems appears to be that long before you get an error code, the operating system stops charging the ohmmu battery completely. Not sure what that's about, but the day I got my last error code and I swapped out my V2 for the new V4 plus with Bluetooth, I checked the battery and it was nearly completely dead. So it had not been getting charged for many days or even weeks prior to the VC front error code appearing. This means everybody with Ohmmu's battery should be trickle charging until they get the V4 replacement.