Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmmu 12V Battery Feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had the Ohmmu battery installed for about six months now, and I haven't received any error messages on my screen. I'm running Version 2021.44.25.6 only 2018 Model 3P with no issues "yet". If it does show up, the reset procedure is pretty straightforward. I did receive the instructions from Ohmmu in case they're needed. Maybe I won't receive the notice until I update to 2021.44.30.

I bought my battery for my 3 during black Friday but afraid to install it... Anyone else installed their recently purchased one with the new Tesla update yet?

Me, and I just bought my battery at the end of the year on 12/29/21. 2018 M3P updated to 2021.44.30 night before then started throwing the error. Hard reset procedure is super straight forward, but still showing the “replace battery” MIL even after doing it. Working with Ohmuu support on it.

22A9DD1B-17CE-4DB4-828D-C6AC5BA98F92.jpeg478ABA86-A217-4BD2-9456-08E64D081EAC.jpeg0EE70BBE-202D-4A69-BAA8-78EC2AD67FAB.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ContrarianDC
Me, and I just bought my battery at the end of the year on 12/29/21. 2018 M3P updated to 2021.44.30 night before then started throwing the error. Hard reset procedure is super straight forward, but still showing the “replace battery” MIL even after doing it. Working with Ohmuu support on it.

View attachment 753468View attachment 753470View attachment 753471
Can you keep us posted when it's fixed? Maybe I'll wait it out first before installing it. I'm on Fsd version 2021.44. 25.6

I'm on 2021.44.25.6 no issues. If you contact Ohmmu direct they are very helpful. Either chat or e-mail.
I spoke too soon. I've been on update 2021.44.25.6 since 12/24 no issues. Last night during a charge from 30-90%, got the following messages: VCFRONT_a192 Electrical system is unable to support all features - shutting down features to conserve energy. VCFRONT_182 Schedule service to replace low voltage battery - Software will not update until battery is replaced, VCFRONT_a402 Electrical system backup power is unavailable - Vehicle will consume more energy when idle. I did not have any software updates pending. I followed Ohmmu's reset procedure and message cleared. I put a charger on the Ohmmu and it was at 87%. I charged to 91% then reconnected to system. The car charged to to 95%. I decided for the short term to swap and reinstall my original Tesla Battery (it only had about a week usage on it - 2 years old now) and checked its voltage it was at 95% on the shelf. Charged to 96% and installed per the Ohmmu procedures. Again no messages as this is basically another reset procedure. Waiting ti hear back from Ohmmu. Supplied as much information as I could. Did not see any reason for the message as at 87% the Ohmmu should be fine for supporting the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Stanwood Steve
I spoke too soon. I've been on update 2021.44.25.6 since 12/24 no issues. Last night during a charge from 30-90%, got the following messages: VCFRONT_a192 Electrical system is unable to support all features - shutting down features to conserve energy. VCFRONT_182 Schedule service to replace low voltage battery - Software will not update until battery is replaced, VCFRONT_a402 Electrical system backup power is unavailable - Vehicle will consume more energy when idle. I did not have any software updates pending. I followed Ohmmu's reset procedure and message cleared. I put a charger on the Ohmmu and it was at 87%. I charged to 91% then reconnected to system. The car charged to to 95%. I decided for the short term to swap and reinstall my original Tesla Battery (it only had about a week usage on it - 2 years old now) and checked its voltage it was at 95% on the shelf. Charged to 96% and installed per the Ohmmu procedures. Again no messages as this is basically another reset procedure. Waiting ti hear back from Ohmmu. Supplied as much information as I could. Did not see any reason for the message as at 87% the Ohmmu should be fine for supporting the car.
How are you measuring the charge percentages of the 12v batteries? Or are you listing the charge percentages of the car high voltage battery? The high voltage battery charge level doesn't affect the 12v battery charge level, unless it's extremely low.

• Informative
Reactions: Stanwood Steve
How are you measuring the charge percentages of the 12v batteries? Or are you listing the charge percentages of the car high voltage battery? The high voltage battery charge level doesn't affect the 12v battery charge level, unless it's extremely low.
My 12 volt charger analyzes the percentage capacity and charges as needed to full. Nothing to do with the main drive battery pack

Reactions: android04
Just heard back from Ohmmu… looks like they replicated the issue on their tester with 2021.44.30, and they think another redesign may be needed after another Tesla change…
Does that mean we have to return our battery for a replacement? With all this issue I'm thinking if I should just get a refund and buy the lithium when Tesla release it for the new 3 and Y.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Does that mean we have to return our battery for a replacement? With all this issue I'm thinking if I should just get a refund and buy the lithium when Tesla release it for the new 3 and Y.
If you look at videos of the model Y with the new Lithium battery the connector is totally different. It looks like one cable (but probably 2 side by side) so a Tesla version would not on older cars.

Reactions: android04
Definitely following this thread. My Ohmmu battery is only three months old and I don't have the old one to swap in. I hope Ohmmu honors returns at this point if they can't figure out how we make this work. I also hope this isn't Tesla doing this deliberately like Apple does with iPhone screens, etc. It was an expensive battery, and we should have a reasonable right-to-repair on off the shelf components. Sigh. Time will tell.

If you get VCFRONT_a192, it may disable heated seats and/or reduce climate. When you click the error it'll tell you which systems could be affected. My heated seats stopped working once with this error. I did a hard reset and everything worked again. I still have the replace 12v error, but everything works as normal.

I just drive around with the 12v error and will wait for a real fix instead of stressing about it. I'm used to ignoring errors anyways lol.

Definitely following this thread. My Ohmmu battery is only three months old and I don't have the old one to swap in. I hope Ohmmu honors returns at this point if they can't figure out how we make this work. I also hope this isn't Tesla doing this deliberately like Apple does with iPhone screens, etc. It was an expensive battery, and we should have a reasonable right-to-repair on off the shelf components. Sigh. Time will tell.
First, Ohmmu was very responsive before when an issue like this occurred with Tesla software changes and I think they will be again. Tesla isn't locking out non factory batteries. The standard battery is just a regular 12 volt lead battery no magic there. The Ohmmu's have an internal BMC and I suspect there is a issue there but I'm sure Ohmmu will identify it and correct it through an exchange.

First, Ohmmu was very responsive before when an issue like this occurred with Tesla software changes and I think they will be again. Tesla isn't locking out non factory batteries. The standard battery is just a regular 12 volt lead battery no magic there. The Ohmmu's have an internal BMC and I suspect there is a issue there but I'm sure Ohmmu will identify it and correct it through an exchange.
Who did you email? I emailed the support address about a refund and got no response at all. I will probably call them tomorrow. I emailed on Sunday and it's been 2 days.