Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmmu 12V Battery Feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading this thread, it seems problems only affect 3 and Y. How much older model S. I have a 17 S, so far the original OEM still works but I am wondering whether it is safe to replace it proactively. I can wait till the original dies and since I have extended warranty, I think it is covered, but certainly don’t want to be stranded or long wait for parts.

Reactions: 3PHASE
Sentry doesn't draw from the 12V battery. It leaves the HV and DC-DC turned on all the time. It actually reduces load and cycling on the 12V, at the expense of 24/7 300W of draw on the HV pack.

What a weird procedure. At room temp, 12,4V OCV is about 70% SoC. They are literally telling you that any battery that is below 70% SoC must be discarded, independent of it's state of health. You're not allowed to recharge it.
Guess they are suggesting a new unused battery should hold more than 70% soc between manufacture and installation. If it’s below this it is either really old or faulty.

This procedure is not just for brand new batteries from the factory.
Yes it is. The procedure quoted from the service manual is specifically for installing a NEW battery. NEW is mentioned 3 times in the quoted paragraph.
1656898620992.png

Although I'm using a different lithium battery, I believe the VCFRONT_a180 errors I have been seeing recently (one or two popped up as active errors, while the vast majority occur passively and sporadically in the notifications section) may be related. I have been running the Braille G30HD lithium 12V battery in my model 3 performance since december 2018 with no issues until recently. Note the Braille battery doesn't have a BMS, so I thought the battery was actually dying, but i tested the voltage (13.3V) and did a 100A load test (voltage at 12V after 10sec of 100A discharge) and everything checked out fine.

After the most recent vehicle firmware update to 2022.16.2, I noticed that the voltage waveforms have changed, in that when the battery is already at ~13.3V, it no longer blindly charges it at 14.2V for 1-2hrs. In addition, the frequency of passive VCFRONT_a180 has decreased, and only has happened once in the last week. My hunch is that for passive VCFRONT_a180 errors, they can be ignored if you're able to confirm that the voltage at the battery posts (I have a bluetooth based voltage monitoring device attached and read the voltage from my phone) is correct, and the errors only arise because there is some battery behaviors that the car isn't expecting, but ability to perform all necessary functions isn't actually impacted.

The below waveforms are what I have been observing on my Braille battery, and perhaps show the background VCFRONT_a180 errors as being side effects of some testing/characterization that the car is doing. Are you all observing something similar?

Here's a voltage waveform with the cursor at the timestamp of a background VCFRONT_a180 error. On other days when I'd see the error in the notifications, it would always be preceded by a similar waveform with a rounded dip downward, then settle back at 13.3V for the rest of the night and into the morning:
Screenshot 2022-07-01 at 08.44.22.jpg

Here's a more recent waveform after the update to 2022.16.2, where I no longer see all the repeating jagged peaks that would precede a background VCFRONT_a180. No errors occurred on this day, and it seems to stay at the 14.2V area for a much shorter time. However, it spends a lot more time at 13.4-13.6V :
IMG_6059.PNG

The below waveforms are what I have been observing on my Braille battery, and perhaps show the background VCFRONT_a180 errors as being side effects of some testing/characterization that the car is doing. Are you all observing something similar?

Here's a voltage waveform with the cursor at the timestamp of a background VCFRONT_a180 error. On other days when I'd see the error in the notifications, it would always be preceded by a similar waveform with a rounded dip downward, then settle back at 13.3V for the rest of the night and into the morning:
View attachment 825947

Here's a more recent waveform after the update to 2022.16.2, where I no longer see all the repeating jagged peaks that would precede a background VCFRONT_a180. No errors occurred on this day, and it seems to stay at the 14.2V area for a much shorter time. However, it spends a lot more time at 13.4-13.6V :
View attachment 825948
Good info keep posting. It is possible Tesla changed the charging and maintenance profile. What are you using to measure the wave forms?

Last edited:
So ive had the V4 battery for 2 weeks now and havent had any issues like before. Been doing everything the same, using sentry, cabin overheat and check the voltage of the battery daily and its staying at 14volts consistently. When i received the new battery i also put it on a trickle charger meant for Lipo batteries to get it fully charged before i installed the battery.