Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmmu Battery & 2020.28.6 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw I have a new update, probably 2020.40.3 but first I got the pesky Low Battery warning:

Ok after many Updates, I finally I got the dreaded message that my Ohmmu12 Volt battery is low, I checked the Voltage and it was fine:
010F2DA2-B070-4B4B-8168-3183EB732F3E.jpeg

So I replaced it with the OEM Tesla lead acid battery and did the proper reset by removing the rear seat & contractor. The Tesla OEM battery reads 13.70 Volts:
40A934EC-2669-4131-BE7F-1E884BF4E2CD.jpeg

Seems like 2020.36.11 got me this time, will message Ohmmu for the replacement.

Fred

Reactions: lUtriaNt
bro your car put up a good fight and held out!!

i got 40.4 today. i just got 40.3 a few days ago. tesla changed something in the charging algorithms so the 12v error doesn't show up for days--prior it would show up like within the same day in my case, but now its near a week.

i emailed sean at ohmmu and my replacement is about 3 weeks out. i put in the request the day he sent out the notice. he has been shipping lots of these and is swamped with this process according to him, so for sure get ya bid in asap.

I personally think it’s crazy to put non OEM part in a Tesla. Let alone work on the car yourself. They are proprietary AF and Tesla purposefully wants the cars locked down to the service centers. Once the vehicle drivetrain warranty is out, you throw the car away or expect expensive time consuming but interesting headaches. Kind of like Apple. This is the world we live in...

Thankfully we have alternatives that have simple diagnostics and parts available down the street at AutoZone.

I got the replacement from Ohmmu around two weeks ago, it has been great, haven’t had the error message.

Ohmmu said that what was changed in the new update is the way that it communicates the voltage to the Tesla. Previously the battery management system was reporting a reading that it didn’t like. Ohmmu updated their BMS to report more what the Tesla is looking for.

ps I filled out the Ohmmu replacement request form almost as soon as it hit my email

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Phlier and lUtriaNt
I got the replacement from Ohmmu around two weeks ago, it has been great, haven’t had the error message.

Ohmmu said that what was changed in the new update is the way that it communicates the voltage to the Tesla. Previously the battery management system was reporting a reading that it didn’t like. Ohmmu updated their BMS to report more what the Tesla is looking for.

ps I filled out the Ohmmu replacement request form almost as soon as it hit my email
I just filled out the form last week but haven’t heard from them yet, also I couldn’t find my order # since I had purchased it in April 2019, 1.5 year ago.

Hope I heard back from them soon, my OEM battery is still new.

Fred

Received my replacement Ver. 2 battery 10/8 and installed on 10/9. So far so good.
Does the latest revision have some sort of a data port on it to make future firmware updates easier?

We live in the desert, and regular ICE batteries last us two years here. At fourteen months, I feel like I'm on borrowed time on my 3's OEM battery. Thinking about getting the Ohmmu, but still on the fence.

We have been fulfilling swap requests as quickly as we can, however due to production ramp-up delays with the new revision we have not been able to fulfill all requests yet. First wave went out in the second week of October.

NEXT wave will go out beginning this week and into next week. This wave still won't fulfill all of the backlog but should get us to about the 75% mark.

NEXT wave after the above will be in 3 weeks from now (Nov. 16). This wave should finally get all requested swaps fulfilled!

Additional Info:

If you have a rev. 1 battery but have not experienced any erroneous alerts, you don't need to swap to rev. 2; please allow those experiencing the error to get their batteries updated first.

Upon receipt make the swap, please send us back the battery and the extra terminal lugs if you don't need them using our included return label with FedEx. You can either drop the labeled box off at nearest FedEx office/dropoff or schedule a pickup with FedEx.

Thank you for your continued patience and understanding in this time. As always any ideas, questions, concerns, comments please don't hesitate to reach out to us and let us know! It has been very helpful for us to know what is going on with as many vehicles as possible, it can get overwhelming keeping up but we are doing our best as a team here!

I just got the REV2 battery in today.

Those that received and already swapped out their battery, did the replacement battery look exactly the same as the old one? I just did my swap and tried to find any sticker or marking on it that said "rev. 2" but it didn't... the labels were exactly the same as the old battery. Just wanted to see if everyone else had the same experience.

I wonder what that actually means. The simple answer would be a fudged voltage reading

Pretty difficult to "fudge" the actual voltage the battery is putting out without an expensive, bulky high powered DC-DC converter.

Too bad Ohmmu isn't more forthcoming with what the problem was, only thing they can modify is the BMS in that battery pack and all a BMS should do is prevent over/under voltage to the battery. Since they are using the same Chinese 12V batteries you can get for 1/2 what they are selling them for the only secret sauce is in the BMS, they might have built their own or they might be using an off the shelf one like the 1/2 price ones are using. Perhaps their BMS cut-off the charge voltage lower than what Tesla now expects, in order to get more life and reduce warranty claims

• Disagree