Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmmu Battery & 2020.28.6 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reposting last night’s update in case some don’t get emails from Ohmmu:

UPDATES

Ohmmu acquired a Model 3 in order to perform around the clock testing and data-logging and better identify the cause and potential solution to this alert. Although this alert does not effect the functioning of the vehicle the alert itself is obviously not ideal for anyone and we are working to resolve it.

Testing thus far has demonstrated the likelihood Tesla is using a new algorithm to identify weakened 12V lead acid batteries. This method may be taking multiple forms and we have done trial and error testing on multiple theories.

Over the last week Tesla began rolling out 2020.32.2 update, we don't know if there is a fix contained in this update or not. To make sure the install goes smoothly reset your 12V alert after you get the update available alert in your vehicle, then make sure to connect to wifi and update normally.

Additionally, we have finally gotten through to the team at Tesla that is responsible for these components in the vehicle and are hopeful this will yield a strong working relationship and perhaps we will see both better support for what we are doing but also ways we can improve what Tesla is doing!

Thank you for your continued patience and understanding in this time. As always any ideas, questions, concerns, comments please don't hesitate to reach out to us and let us know! It has been very helpful for us to know what is going on with as many vehicles as possible, it can get overwhelming keeping up but we are doing our best as a team here!

FWIW the fact Ohmmu is not only troubleshooting this, but actually put in the (usually massive) effort to get in touch with someone genuinely technical at Tesla in the component owner, speaks very well about the support they offer their customers and (assuming there's a good resolution to the issue) makes me a lot more likely to consider their product when my factory 12v needs an at-my-cost replacement.

Does anyone know if the Update Available notification will still appear, if the 12V error is present? Or will the reset have to be done first to even know that your car has an update?

Apparently there are two updates since 2020.28.6...
Update available notification will appear no matter what, but will not allow you to install the update until you resolve what it thinks is a problem with the 12v battery (to protect from corrupting software during the install). Reset the system as mentioned above to get rid of the error message and then you can install the update.

i got the 12V error about a week after I posted this thread.

I have done the reset procedures and the error comes back the same day, so i just resolved to living with the error... :(

yesterday i did the update. reset the car, and installed the update successfully.

within hours the error came back, so this update will not resolve the issue.

I am happy to see ohhmu being able to source a model 3 and i wish them success in getting this rectified. i absolutely love the battery and the benefits and do not want to go back to my old legacy battery.

I have done the reset procedures and the error comes back the same day, so i just resolved to living with the error... :(

yesterday i did the update. reset the car, and installed the update successfully.

I am happy to see ohhmu being able to source a model 3 and i wish them success in getting this rectified. i absolutely love the battery and the benefits and do not want to go back to my old legacy battery.
Did you try putting the Lead Acid battery back in until there’s a fix?

Fred

Are you on 2020.32.2?

I am not sure if this is a normal thing to see when you have the 12v error popup,

but since I still have the ohmmu battery in and currently on 32.2 firmware, i now see this box:

20200825_145618.jpg

this welcomed me when i got back in the car today. my battery is fantastic and the charging system is working normally:

Screenshot_20200825-145632_ANCEL Battery Monitor.jpg

the above photos were taken at the same time , so seems this 32.2 update or the one before it, added this screen?

FWIW the fact Ohmmu is not only troubleshooting this, but actually put in the (usually massive) effort to get in touch with someone genuinely technical at Tesla in the component owner, speaks very well about the support they offer their customers and (assuming there's a good resolution to the issue) makes me a lot more likely to consider their product when my factory 12v needs an at-my-cost replacement.

+1 on this. Hope fhey find a solution, but it sounds like they are actively working on it.

I have read quite a few complaints recently on our local area Tesla group from people that had OEM batteries fail without any warning. Some have complained it bricked the car. I would bet this is trying to improve the detection of bad batteries comparing to the standard healthy OE battery performance curve.