Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohmmu Battery & 2020.28.6 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize that and still do not appreciate the question or its presentation.

Highly unlikely that this year's .36 build will fix this nagging notice for those dealing with it. It either takes a future build (if Tesla takes Ohmmus feedback to heart) or Ohmmu fixing/replacing affected units with new ones with a fix himself.
Whether or not you believe it's likely, this thread exists as the only place where the issue is being tracked. Chances are we'll see it fixed here before anything is announced officially. And since .36 isn't fully deployed yet, it would be nice to know if it's fixed in an upcoming release.

Hearing people's software update experience to see if the error is cleared is the only reason I'm subscribed to this thread.

I realize that and still do not appreciate the question or its presentation.

Highly unlikely that this year's .36 build will fix this nagging notice for those dealing with it. It either takes a future build (if Tesla takes Ohmmus feedback to heart) or Ohmmu fixing/replacing affected units with new ones with a fix himself.

Woah bro slow down. Ohmmu said they were in contact with Tesla’s team responsible for the 12V regarding a fix, and since then, .36 came out with “bug fixes”. Yeah I could disconnect the penthouse every time an update comes out to see if my error goes away, but it sure saves hassle if someone who has tried it shares their experience.

I too “do not appreciate your response or its presentation”

Let’s keep this thread proactive.

I went back to my lead acid. Unfortunately, I agree that it might be a while before there’s a fix. I emailed Ohmmu a week ago for an update and haven’t heard anything. The alerts were wearing on me. I was tired of not being able to update, or needing to do a 15 minute procedure every time I wanted to update. And it was chewing through my main battery since it was trying to update every day and failing.

I do look forward to getting back to the Ohmmu once these issues are resolved.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
totally understand your viewpoint.

for me, i am used to the benefits of the ohmmu and will keep it in. ive seen no issues with charging (ive a module that shows me the state of battery )and i never had an issue where the car is "chewing" through the battery to try an update daily.

i finally got the 32.3 update a couple days ago and whilst doing the hv reset procedure so it could install, that gave me an excuse to detail/wipe down the car (my ocd). :p

the error triangle is a very minor irritant.i dont notice it anymore.

ill stay optimistic and give a little more time and see how things go. in this 100+ degree weather here in LA (its 100 now at 10 am!) lately, im more confident of having this battery in the car with the nag icon than to use a lead battery that might not like this weather and fail.

Reactions: 23adrock

for me, i am used to the benefits of the ohmmu and will keep it in. ive seen no issues with charging (ive a module that shows me the state of battery )and i never had an issue where the car is "chewing" through the battery to try an update daily.

i finally got the 32.3 update a couple days ago and whilst doing the hv reset procedure so it could install, that gave me an excuse to detail/wipe down the car (my ocd). :p

ill stay optimistic and give a little more time and see how things go. in this 100+ degree weather here in LA (its 100 now at 10 am!) lately, im more confident of having this battery in the car with the nag icon than to use a lead battery that might not like this weather and fail.

yeah I mean I can’t say for sure the update failing was doing it, but I know the battery has been draining a lot more than usual recently, and every time I get in it mentions a failed update, and it has to be waking up the car to attempt it...

I appreciate you hanging in there with it though, please keep us updated!

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I still have my Ohmmu battery in with the nagging 12v message. I know the 12v nag does prevent updates but will it also prevent any other features like cabin overheat protection? My cabin temps have been in the 105-110 range today since California is permanently on fire but I'm not sure if that's due to it just building up a ton of heat in the garage and for some reason doesn't turn on while it's at home or if that is totally normal. I'm used to seeing the temps under 100 degrees as I assume the overheat protection kicks in when it goes over. If this continues being an issue I'll likely have to throw the lead battery back in but I really don't want to.

the battery error only prevent you from INSTALLING the update until you reset the HV - you still will get the download.

i dont think the cabin overheat protection is tied to the 12V error. the car still charges the battery and the battery is still strong at 13.x volts. i think the error indicator is just a heads up and is not preventing other features or equipment from working normally.

whilst i park in a garage it can get hot in there and ive seen model 3 cabin temps get up in the 90s but never in the 100s!!!

I'm pretty sure they meant the state of the main HV battery was draining, not the 12V battery.

Might be a valid point there: if the car is at the point where it thinks the 12V is failing, it might be awake more to try to keep it "charged" or something.

the battery error only prevent you from INSTALLING the update until you reset the HV - you still will get the download.

i dont think the cabin overheat protection is tied to the 12V error. the car still charges the battery and the battery is still strong at 13.x volts. i think the error indicator is just a heads up and is not preventing other features or equipment from working normally.

whilst i park in a garage it can get hot in there and ive seen model 3 cabin temps get up in the 90s but never in the 100s!!!

Yeah I get the updates part. I did the reset to do the most current install but these recent high temps in SoCal this weekend have been nuts. The car was constantly above 100 which has never happened before so I wasn't sure if it was just the high temps or if the state of the battery caused other things to not operate properly.

Yeah I get the updates part. I did the reset to do the most current install but these recent high temps in SoCal this weekend have been nuts. The car was constantly above 100 which has never happened before so I wasn't sure if it was just the high temps or if the state of the battery caused other things to not operate properly.
Don't let the high temps stress you out. What you're experiencing down there right now is what we in the desert refer to as "April." The car handles high temps just fine. :)

Reactions: elf9
Don't let the high temps stress you out. What you're experiencing down there right now is what we in the desert refer to as "April." The car handles high temps just fine. :)
The car will be fine, but we do know traditional lead acid batteries have shorter lifespans when exposed to extremely high temps for extended periods. Those 12V batteries tend to go sooner. The Ohmmu is supposed to be better at that, but a lot is still unknown about how Tesla is managing the 12V charge, and what it's looking before it thinks things are going bad.

The car will be fine, but we do know traditional lead acid batteries have shorter lifespans when exposed to extremely high temps for extended periods. Those 12V batteries tend to go sooner. The Ohmmu is supposed to be better at that, but a lot is still unknown about how Tesla is managing the 12V charge, and what it's looking before it thinks things are going bad.
Yeah, I've lived in hot climates for 30+ years. Replacing the 12v batteries in vehicles is an every two year thing here.

Reactions: e645824 and Matsayz
The battery warranty is external to the vehicle warranty. Any battery you buy new, at least in North America, comes with a warranty. The warranty is on that battery.

Straight from service advisor: 12 v is covered 4 year 50K miles. No over the counter sales of batteries for self installation. Out of warranty battery + installation $350. PDX Macadam YMMV

At least they let us buy and install wipers air filters.