Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

oil change? annual check ups?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suggest at least a 2-year visit to protect your investment and sustain reliability.

Brakes wear. Oil eventually degrades. Coolant also. There may be slow leaks. Some firmware updates require hands-on installation. Chassis and suspension can go out of alignment.

Even if you keep the car in a garage and rarely use it, coolant will start corroding metal from the inside as it’s anti-corrosion additives are depleted.

I saw it happen to a car my in-laws kept at their second residence. After 6 years of sustained non-maintenance of an off-lease used car I opened the hood and saw white deposits where the coolant had eaten through couplings.

Brakes need to be periodically disassembled and lubricated or the pads seize in the calipers.

It is still a car other than the electric motor it is still subject to the same maintenance needs as any other car.

Alignment check is prudent, catch issues before tires are worn wrong and keep efficiency up.

I suggest at least a 2-year visit to protect your investment and sustain reliability.

Brakes wear. Oil eventually degrades. Coolant also. There may be slow leaks. Some firmware updates require hands-on installation. Chassis and suspension can go out of alignment.

Even if you keep the car in a garage and rarely use it, coolant will start corroding metal from the inside as it’s anti-corrosion additives are depleted.

I saw it happen to a car my in-laws kept at their second residence. After 6 years of sustained non-maintenance of an off-lease used car I opened the hood and saw white deposits where the coolant had eaten through couplings.

I'm not arguing, but what coolant are you speaking of? Something in the battery?

Had my MS75D for 26 months and 61K miles before getting the MX100 in December. Did 1st and second and 4th 12,500 mile service visits. I skipped third one as too close in time frame. In retrospect could have skipped another. NEVER any issues. Okay maybe 1. Still probably going to do every other one on the MX. They are not cheap visits and if I have issues, I'll come in for a visit. Insurance is based on probability. I probably won't have issues...

Yes the battery has coolant, recommended change interval is I believe 4years/48K miles.

I think the OP knows this I just want to clarify for others. There is no "motor oil" there is gearbox oil that at times Tesla has suggested changing after the first year.

It is now 8 years for his car.

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 6.16.36 AM.png

Similarly I am at a year (13 months) of ownership and about 11500 miles. In looking at the recommended maintenance schedule, is it even worth bringing the car in?

I have a P100D, so there is no tire rotation and the wiper blades are just fine. Anyone recommend bringing it in solely for the inspection?

I have never done Tesla's periodic maintenance. Low cost of maintenance was one of the many selling points back when I purchased.

I make sure the brakes are free when I change wheels seasonally; sometimes I take the calipers off the hub and clean the pad edges and calipers. Still on original rear service brakes, have replaced fronts due to uneven wear when they did get stuck on the calipers, and parking brake pads when the surfaces fell off the backing.

My last drive unit replacement was at about 80,000 miles, so I guess I'm overdue for new coolant with nearly 140,000 now.
A couple of years ago I got a quote for a coolant flush, $250. This really should be something a DIY person can take care of for far less; but I'm not sure you can do it without their "toolbox."

I'm afraid to bring the car in for anything anymore, they might install V9 software. V8 was enough of a downgrade for me.

IMO the cost of maintenance is outrageous for what you get. Besides, I hear their service is swamped.

I have never done Tesla's periodic maintenance. Low cost of maintenance was one of the many selling points back when I purchased.

Getting fresh brake fluid at least every 4 years is a darn good idea.

i think that list is missing the gearbox oil?

I remember it being the only oil the car used.
Or am i remembering wrong?

Last I asked them the interval is now 250.000 km (150,000 miles) for the differentials/gear boxes/transmissions; not sure what they are really supposed to be called. After they test a few of the fluids from that length of time maybe they will change their mind again and make it 500,000 km?

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18 and Naekuh
I spoke with a service rep 2 days ago, he said they don't do coolant flushes any more. He said that the fluid drained was so clean, Tesla decided it is not necessary.

I think you mean the transmission fluid, not coolant, right?

Coolant is (typically) always clean when changed after 10 years but the point is to refresh the anti-corrosion inhibitors that degrade over time.

I spoke with a service rep 2 days ago, he said they don't do coolant flushes any more. He said that the fluid drained was so clean, Tesla decided it is not necessary.
I was told much the same. They didn't do it on my 50k service, due to a mixup, and when I asked I was told that the recommended interval was now 100k miles.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18