TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Oil Change

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rcarpen22, Feb 1, 2016.

1. rcarpen22

rcarpen22 Member

So, I'm not at all one of the MS owners who super hates internal combustion now. I still love my old cars and I still enjoy driving them on occasion. So, I was surprised this weekend when I had such an aversion to changing the oil in my winter beater. It's a diesel VW Touareg that takes about a billion liters of oil and it's generally a pita to do, but it never really bothered me before. For some reason this time I found it really unpleasant. It just seems so unnecessary now. It gave me another level of appreciation for the Tesla.

2. tstafford

tstafford Member

Totally understand your feelings. My wife for some reason wanted a gas powered pressure washer. Putting oil in it, spilling some on the drive way, going to gas station (in Tesla) to get gas, etc all made me kind of queasy. I used to sort of love that stuff as a kid.

3. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

Just take it somewhere to have it done. Would cost you less than 10% of the annual service price on a Tesla.

4. JeffS

JeffS Member

Same here! I am taking my Expedition out of the garage tonight in advance of a snowstorm tomorrow. Going to have to get gas, check the oil and do all manner of silly 20th century chores to be ready for SUV duty. I have to have the big gas burner for tow duty in the summer and snow storm duty in winter. I can't not have a gas burner. And I don't dismiss its capabilities. But the chores...hrmph.

5. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Great thread. I'm in the same boat, however, I don't think I would enjoy driving a piston-powered car again. We're all electric now and won't go back. I used to enjoy changing oil, maintaining, etc. but not anymore.

6. anthony

anthony Member

I don't mind changing the oil on the CRV until we get a model x. But I recently had to go to the dealer because our 5yr old crv is CONSUMING oil on a regular basis, and its an open recall.
    I had to wait over an hour at the dealer after making an appointment just to get the oil changed so they can "set a baseline".

Point of the story, oil changes are bad, dealers are worse.

7. rcarpen22

rcarpen22 Member

Yep, the primary reason I keep the Touareg is for towing. It is an overall fantastic vehicle. I wouldn't want to go back to driving it every day though:)

8. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

It's not just me. A friend of mine was visiting over the past two weeks, and we spent an inordinate amount of that time underneath my diesel BJ70 Land Cruiser. Dropping the tank and cleaning it....the sending unit...the fuel lines....water separator...mechanical fuel pump....filter housing...injectors...

and we were swimming in diesel; up to our elbows, pooling in our armpits, and overall just made ourselves a mess (now you know why some of my posts may have sounded a bit....curt...recently...).

Now, he lives for the oil industry, which is not unusual for an Alaskan, but his livelihood lives and dies through it. So, even though I know he's very admiring of our P85, it still was a revelation when, after being sprayed by diesel for the umpteenth time, he turned to me and said "I hate this stuff. Can't wait until all cars are 100% electric".

Yep.

9. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Guilt.

That's what I feel now whenever taking my Highlander for an oil change or to the gas station for a fill-up. These things that were 'Normal' just 3 years ago now feel antiquated, unnecessary, and somewhat disturbing.

10. sorka

sorka Active Member

I still enjoy changing our Prius oil. It literally takes about 5 minutes from start to finish. Takes 3 qts. I buy the toyota filters in bulk at $4 each an the Wal-Mart Supertec oil at $11.57 / 5 qts which works out to $11.50 for each oil change.

11. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

I have an old Land Rover which I keep for deep snow duty. However, I hate to put gas in it and hate the oil changes (it's a pain whether I do it myself or take it to a shop). Over the summer, only put gas in it once. This winter, we have been using it more. It shakes and rattles and belches fumes. Terrible driving experience... but it does go anywhere, anytime.

12. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Today we had the first snowfall in over a year that was so heavy I gave up on shoveling and pulled the snowblower out of storage.

While filling it's tank in the garage I spilled some gas on the floor.

An now the place smells like gas.

As another posted earlier, I used to like the smell of that stuff. Now it just stinks.