Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oil Filter on Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I removed the Front Undercover on the bottom of my 2022 Model 3 Performance today, because i had a lift and was curious. I see a Oil Filter on the Motor assembly, it looks just like a normal screw on auto oil filter. I assume the rear motor has the a similar Filter. I hope someone can explain this to me, looks like a future service item.

The oil in both of my drive units had a good amount of particles at <40k miles; Blackstone said it was likely from break in.
Interesting, so it may almost be worth it to do a replacement fairly early on at like 50K after things have probably gotten a good break in and then go for the long run after less particles should be added. I wonder if this is a norm. I will plan to have my oil tested at intervals to see what it looks like I guess.

Reactions: DFW_MVP and tm1v2
Upvote 0
Lifetime fill is the life of the part, not the car. When it fails it has reached end of its lifetime! The lubricant has to age and degrade over time. The constant shearing of the lubricant in the drive unit is going to break it down as well. Changed mine once already and will continue to do so every 10-15K miles unless the aluminum drops off in oil analysis.

Upvote 0
I'd love to see the data where you based this fact you have shared from.

Probably the same data as folks who are saying they feel they need to change it every 75k are (or 10-15k for the guy a couple posts ago-- YIKES)

Are there any examples- ever- in ~10 years of Teslas being on the roads for hundreds of thousands of miles- of a motor failure due to failure to change the motor oil often enough?

Upvote 0
Goodness, 10-15K sounds hugely excessive to me.

ATF lasts significantly longer than ICE engine oil for several reasons. To replace ATF at near engine oil rates is just wasteful.

I am considering a replacement at 50K when I may also switch to these Oil Cooler units from UP. That will also give me a drain tap to have the oil analyzed easier.
Had engine oil done years ago and it was recommended by Blackstone to change it at 7500 miles, not the 15K by the manufacturer. That was with a certain braind of oil. 2-3 other brands had depleted the additives as few as 4K miles.

It would be interesting to know what you find at 50K.

Yeah, perhaps that is a bit excessive. I'll have to see what the next oil analysis says and adjust from there. I have the capacity to do this type of work with ease and already have all the necessary parts on hand.

Upvote 0
Lifetime fill is the life of the part, not the car. When it fails it has reached end of its lifetime! The lubricant has to age and degrade over time. The constant shearing of the lubricant in the drive unit is going to break it down as well. Changed mine once already and will continue to do so every 10-15K miles unless the aluminum drops off in oil analysis.
Curious about the aluminum. Where would that come from? None of the bearings, gears, and any wear surface should be aluminum.

Upvote 0
The whole case is aluminum and I would guess that several other locations, like the heat exchangers, are aluminum as well. My guess is the aluminum is less so from the main drivetrain wearing and more so from the surrounding parts. Though I do recall aluminum being a metal that is alloyed into some drivetrain use metals so it's possible its from those sources whatever they may be?

It's not like its from a wearing aluminum engine block so it is a bit harder to guess XD

Upvote 0
I removed the Front Undercover on the bottom of my 2022 Model 3 Performance today, because i had a lift and was curious. I see a Oil Filter on the Motor assembly, it looks just like a normal screw on auto oil filter. I assume the rear motor has the a similar Filter. I hope someone can explain this to me, looks like a future service item.
The oil filter is there for break in metal particles that’s why you don’t need to change the oil . If you remove the halfshafts and damage the seal than I could see changing the oil

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Upvote 0