TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Oil industry knows no bounds for dirty tricks

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by BluestarE3, Sep 14, 2016.

1. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

2. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

Morons ventured into the playground of a tech company and thought they would get away with it? LOL

These people have been poisoning people (even directly and with knowledge aforethought) for years- it's no surprise that they'd sink to this level as they've been far lower for a long time now.

3. deonb

deonb Active Member

That guy should also be sued for being an idiot. Did he really think this will work? It's pretty easy to google Tesla internal emails from Elon and it's very obvious he doesn't write like this:

why you so cautious w Q3/4 gm guidance on call? also what are your thoughts on disclosing M3 res#? Pros/cons from ir pov? what is your best guess as to where we actually come in on q3/4 deliverables. honest guess? no bs. thx 4 hard work prepping 4 today

em

• Like x 1
  4. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

No bounds?

Sadly, for some, it's just business.

*sigh*

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

#5 SageBrush, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    My exact thought. This was as likely to succeed with EM as your average Nigerian email scam.
    I'm surprised though at the litigation, unless it is only meant to embarrass the fool and his company. I do not see the legal merit to the claim.

Is anyone else surprised that the phish even reached EM ?

• Like x 1
  6. 3Victoria

3Victoria Member

It is good evidence of the kind of attacks with which Tesla has had to put up. (Had to avoid the dangling participle.)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

After reading the email, it looks to me like the guy was looking for info to inform a stock market purchase or short of Tesla stock. It doesn't look like an "oil industry" conspiracy (what would they do with the info assuming it worked?), but more of a clueless guy trying to get non public info for personal gain.

• Like x 1
  8. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

It is interesting that Tesla has decided to sue the individual on what is clearly a criminal matter. They also do accuse various oil industry companies of a conspiracy. Not sure if this is just a way of fishing out the truth (if no conspiracy, the company the guy works for will fire his ass so quickly, it'll leave a vapor trail, whereas the opposite will happen if there was a conspiracy), or if they have actual proof of a conspiracy, or ?

9. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

It didn't go to Elon -- it was sent to and received by Tesla's CFO, who immediately recognized it wasn't from Elon. The article points out that Tesla is looking through the system to see if any employees might have fallen for the phishing scheme.

And of course it has legal merit. Attempting to get a company to reveal non-public information through fraud is not legal. It's just as illegal as your neighbor jumping on your network, accessing your financial information, and transferring money out of your account for their own gain.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Yes, thanks for the correction. I knew that ;-)
    Same observation though, it would never occur to me that I could email the CFO directly.

Fraud ... because they have the same first name ?
    If I sent that exact email to the CFO from my email address [email protected] and signed it Sagebrush, am I violating the law ?

11. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Pretty sure the CFO's email address is easy to obtain, because his name is on all the financial reports. I'm guessing the addy is well-known within the investment industry.

No, but if you sent an email pretending to be someone else (like, say, Elon Musk) with the intent of acquiring information that you wouldn't get otherwise, that might cross the line (depending on the type of information). Contacting my locksmith, pretending you're me and couldn't remember the keycode to get into my house .... yeah, not okay.

Look, it was clear he wanted the recipient to believe the email came from Elon. He spoofed a very old email address, prob hoping that what Elon uses now was somewhat similar. It didn't work. If he had signed HIS name (like in your example), there would be no intent to defraud. But he didn't do that.

I know you get it.

• Like x 1
  12. Jopo43

Jopo43 Member

oil is slime

13. drinkerofkoolaid

drinkerofkoolaid Active Member

This opens a can of worms that the oil industry can't close. Exxon is being investigated on racketeering charges and lying to investors. This is icing on the cake.

What the heck made him think this would work or that this was a good idea? Also, the email must have originated from a company computer for Tesla to be able to track it to him. Either that or he used his real name when he registered the Yahoo email. :rolleyes:

14. drinkerofkoolaid

drinkerofkoolaid Active Member

Someone claiming to be Todd Katz on Twitter is asking CNBC, Mark Bernard Spiegel, and others asking for legal advice lol.

This has to be the funniest Trolls I've come across on Twitter. At least I hope this is a troll lol.

Picture.png

15. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Fail.

You would have had to write:
    ....attacks up with which Tesla has had to put.

:eek:

16. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

...and on topic, I really wish Jason had had the deviousness to respond to the email. As in:

"We're up to 3,150/wk steadily now; GAAP looks to be between $.79 and $.94/share. Non-GAAP likely to exceed $2/sh."

Oh. And then activate the attorneys.

• Funny x 3
  17. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Odd that he worked in M&A on Wall Street, given Tesla's acquisition of Solar City. More conspiracy theories, go!

18. EinSV

EinSV Member

This looks more like the Keystone Kops than a grand conspiracy to me.

• Like x 1
  19. KublaConn

KublaConn Member

A Yahoo acount? Seriously? Everyone knows that all the really hip CEOs of major corporations use Gmail...jeez, what an ultra-maroon! No wonder he failed.

20. redruMKO

redruMKO Member

The BMW advert was a low-blow. Now Mercedes push this "most intelligent" aspect that seems like a total fabrication. The new E-Class. Masterpiece of Intelligence.
    ...I actually forgot what I was reading and thought it was Tesla-blurb.... how can Mercedes say this stuff?