Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oil leaking from rear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed a rainbow slick coming from under the rear (in the centre of the belly pan between the rear wheels) the last week or so when its raining. After putting some cardboard under the car in the carport it seems to leak a few drops of an oily substance after each drive. From what I have been able to find online there is oil in the rear drive unit but I’m not sure if there could be another source?

The nearest service centre is 3+ hours away so I would like check oil levels before driving it in but haven’t been able to find any info on how to do this. I’m thinking I will pull the belly pan and take a look (I’m pretty handy) but not really sure what I’m looking for. Is there a drain and fill plug? What type of oil? I know last time I looked in there (when changing the tires) I saw an oil filter but didn’t look much beyond it.

Any help or a point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Yes, both the front (if equipped) and rear drive units are filled with ATF-9 (2.75 L for the rear drive unit before fluid level adjustment procedure). There is no drain plug, but there is a fill plug. The oil is drained by removing the oil filter and attaching a special adapter, then energizing the oil pump to pump the fluid out through the adapter. If I were you, I wouldn't drive the vehicle if you can arrange alternate transportation. If possible, take some pictures of the rear drive unit, so we can get a better idea of where it's leaking.

This is the info I was looking for. I doubt it has leaked 2.75L but hard to know I guess. I took a closer look and it appears to be coming from the filter area. Filter also has some significant rust on it. Appears to be tight, I didn’t want to disturb it too much. If someone is able to confirm that the plug pictures is the fill/check plug then I will check the level. I don’t want to pull it out unless I’m sure.

View media item 122200View media item 122201View media item 122202

Last edited:
This is the info I was looking for. I doubt it has leaked 2.75L but hard to know I guess. I took a closer look and it appears to be coming from the filter area. Filter also has some significant rust on it. Appears to be tight, I didn’t want to disturb it too much. If someone is able to confirm that the plug pictures is the fill/check plug then I will check the level. I don’t want to pull it out unless I’m sure.

View media item 122200View media item 122201View media item 122202
Maybe that filter just needs a 1/64th (five degrees of arc) tightening up?

Earliest appointment I could get in the app is 2 weeks from now. It would sure be nice to check the level if someone can confirm the plug pictured is actually the fill/level plug?

Yes, that allen bolt is indeed the fill plug. Here are the torque specs. for the filter and fill plug:

Oil Filter: 3 Nm + 135 degrees
Fill Plug: 15 Nm

Yes, that allen bolt is indeed the fill plug. Here are the torque specs. for the filter and fill plug:

Oil Filter: 3 Nm + 135 degrees
Fill Plug: 15 Nm

Thanks for the confirmation! Pulled the plug and checked the level, it appears to be about an inch below the hole but at least there is oil in there. Filter wouldn’t budge is it’s tight. I will hold off driving until I can top it up or limp it in to the service centre in a couple weeks.

Hoping issue is simple like the original poster.

Attachments

• 20211013_201942.jpg
    20211013_201942.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 468
I am a few thousand miles out of warranty. It's a 2012 MS P85 Signature with 55k miles. I'll jack it up and take a peak before scheduling a service. I bought it 3 weeks ago... hopefully not an expensive service call. Thanks for the info.

Mine was also leaking rear axle seal. The replaced, out of warranty, for $440.
They said it may have been caused by torn bushings in the toe link. Since they noticed movement in the rear under full acceleration. So for that along with a few other suspension components they quoted me about $3,000 for parts and labor. I didn't feel for what they were replacing it would be worth it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211021-161545_Office.jpg
    Screenshot_20211021-161545_Office.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 247
  • Screenshot_20211021-161522_Office.jpg
    Screenshot_20211021-161522_Office.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 234
I noticed my rear motor has some oil stains with dirt sticking to it from a tiny leak so I scheduled a SC visit. They told me seepage from the axle seal is normal based on “driving habits” and topped off my drive unit.

Attachments

• C8DAAA31-E8D2-4029-A715-D467F6D7782E.jpeg
    C8DAAA31-E8D2-4029-A715-D467F6D7782E.jpeg
    644.1 KB · Views: 255
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
I noticed my rear motor has some oil stains with dirt sticking to it from a tiny leak so I scheduled a SC visit. They told me seepage from the axle seal is normal based on “driving habits” and topped off my drive unit.
That seems like a steaming load of BS from the service center. A seal's function is to prevent fluid escape, so no amount of weeping is acceptable. Keep an eye on it and when it gets worse, schedule another appointment so they have no choice but to fix it.