Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oil selection help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am replacing the front seals on my drive unit as they are leaking oil ****ing everywhere.

I see on fixyourtesla it says models F and earlier (mine is an F) use Mobil SHC 629. well that crap is pretty damn hard to find in anything besides a 55 gal or 5 gallon and i only need 2 quarts. Is there a cross reference anywhere of what weight that is so i can go to autozone and grab some oil?

I was hoping to see a better solution for future reference. I had the problem finding the oil. Ended up using this synthetic gear oil.
4839434D-E74C-4220-AD98-18DFBE3BB838.jpeg

Ive been looking around and there is no cross reference because its an industrial lube so that makes things harder.
I did notice that looking at the specs for some Mobil 10W-60 is pretty damn close though. when you look at the viscosity's its damn close. @Plasmid_Boy the 75-90 is a bit lower than the 10-60 but i dono

3.png

1.png

2.png

No oil expert but I have spent my entire life working with hydraulics. Gear oil and hydraulic oil are in 2 different categories, I know I would damage my hydraulic pumps using gear oil as the viscosity is far too thick so I would have to assume the same in the Tesla gear box. Sometimes we tend to go overboard and oil is oil in the way they are simply lubricants. You probably are OK however I would dump the gear oil and put in the appropriate Dextron fluid your models year takes, maybe even a Dextron flush (run, dump and refill) after a few turns around the block.

Reactions: 2101Guy
The Mobil SHC 629 oil is much thicker and very different from dexron 3 (6 by the way) , i would not recomment dexron in an old front DU, they get noisy in summer with dexron.
The service tech said to use dextron 3 in the front drive unit which is equivalent to SHC 629.
Also I have an older front unit mine is a model F if you look at the manual it says dextron 6 only for the newer units

Screenshot_20220118-072644839~2.jpg

Dexron 3 is far, far away from being equivalent to SHC 629, he lied to you.
its a totaly different oil for a different aplication

Dexron 3 viscosity at 40 celsius is around: 35.9, Mobil SHC 629 is 150 mm²/s
at 100 around : 7.4, Mobil SHC 629 is 21 mm²/s

dont do it. use Mobil SHC 629

Last edited:
Reactions: soarhead25
Dexron 3 is far, far away from being equivalent to SHC 629, he lied to you.
its a totaly different oil for a different aplication

Dexron 3 viscosity at 40 celsius is around: 35.9, Mobil SHC 629 is 150 mm²/s
at 100 around : 7.4, Mobil SHC 629 is 21 mm²/s

dont do it. use Mobil SHC 629
And I'm guessing you have found the magical source that sells 629 in something smaller than a 5 gallon bucket? all I see in quarts in 630 and 634 but no quarts of 629

The lube-V doesn't say anything about their oil besides it's 150 and for compressors. But no product specs. The other is sold in the UK only it seems.