Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oil selection help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the info. This is great! I found that Chevron also makes an iso 150 oil that showed as equivalent to the Mobile SHC 629. Also interesting that 75w90 is iso 150 (same viscosity was the SHC 629).
Which oil did you ID as equivalent?

I’ve already been down this road and I could not source the SHC629 in anything smaller than a 5gal bucket. I thought I had identified an equivalent oil, but luckily I did reach out to Mobil support to verify and the oil in question was identified as being quite different.

I would not stick anything else in my diff(esp since it’s still under warranty) except for the lubricant specified, and so I was prepared to break down and purchase the 5gal bucket. I then was successful in getting my Tesla service advisor to agree with me that my leaking axle seal is part of the differential (DU) and should be a covered item. I verified that fluid replacement would be performed during the seal replacement so the fluid was also covered under warranty So I didn’t have to purchase the bucket.

The SC would also not sell the oil to me in quarts either-I tried!

1642993138216.jpeg

And Dexron VI viscosity is very close to that of SHC 629 at about 153. I have read more about oil than I ever thought i would. It appears that SHC 629 is similar to 85w90, other ISO 150 oils, Dexron III, and Dexron VI, but I am confused as to why one was specified over the other on the list. I mean, if Dexron III is so similar to Dexron VI, then why specify III over VI etc? The more i learned the less i know…

And Dexron VI viscosity is very close to that of SHC 629 at about 153. I have read more about oil than I ever thought i would. It appears that SHC 629 is similar to 85w90, other ISO 150 oils, Dexron III, and Dexron VI, but I am confused as to why one was specified over the other on the list. I mean, if Dexron III is so similar to Dexron VI, then why specify III over VI etc? The more i learned the less i know…
Dexron VI viscosity is very different from SHC 629 or iso 150. it is much much thinner

:)) Viscosity Index ist not Viscosity Grade .
Viscosity Index for instance tells you: if you warm this oil by xx degres it will lower the viscosity by xx % , but nothing about the actual viscosity grade.
Thanks! That's helpful. Did some more reading and learned that ISO VG is kinematic viscosity done at 40 degC. So, does that mean that Dexron VI is ISO 29.8? If so, then Dexron III is about 37.6. Which would seem much thinner than SHC 629 (which is ISO 150). :confused:🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Welbach1
So here's a fun one for y'all 🤦‍♂️
I asked for an oil change so I could get the SHC 629 and I was just gonna bite the cost. But then they send me this estimate and it's ATF Dexron 6. So I messaged them and asked if they would use ATF or SHC 629 and he's just like it's not a DIY job. Basically saying yeah it's not SHC 629.
So I'm just gonna go to AutoZone and buy some synthetic Dexron VI and do a flush with that stuff since nothing is sold smaller than 5 gallons.
For a while I was thinking of buying a 5gl of the SHC 629 and some 1qt bottles and sell it for cost plus shipping to folks on here but that would come out to about $28/qt plus shipping and I don't think I'd find 10 people to buy 2qt ea at that price so I'm leaning to just the ATF

Screenshot_20230123-093749.png
Screenshot_20230123-131232.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230123-093749.png
    Screenshot_20230123-093749.png
    742.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20230123-131232.png
    Screenshot_20230123-131232.png
    395.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Funny
Reactions: Gtech
So here's a fun one for y'all 🤦‍♂️
I asked for an oil change so I could get the SHC 629 and I was just gonna bite the cost. But then they send me this estimate and it's ATF Dexron 6. So I messaged them and asked if they would use ATF or SHC 629 and he's just like it's not a DIY job. Basically saying yeah it's not SHC 629.
So I'm just gonna go to AutoZone and buy some synthetic Dexron VI and do a flush with that stuff since nothing is sold smaller than 5 gallons.
For a while I was thinking of buying a 5gl of the SHC 629 and some 1qt bottles and sell it for cost plus shipping to folks on here but that would come out to about $28/qt plus shipping and I don't think I'd find 10 people to buy 2qt ea at that price so I'm leaning to just the ATF

View attachment 898952View attachment 898953
Thanks!

I started another thread on getting some SHC 629 if you're interested

Reactions: Plasmid_Boy
I am replacing the front seals on my drive unit as they are leaking oil ****ing everywhere.

I see on fixyourtesla it says models F and earlier (mine is an F) use Mobil SHC 629. well that crap is pretty damn hard to find in anything besides a 55 gal or 5 gallon and i only need 2 quarts. Is there a cross reference anywhere of what weight that is so i can go to autozone and grab some oil?
If its leaking then buy the 55 gal so you can refill it everytime it’s low from leaking

• Funny
Reactions: airborne spoon
I was at the SC for something unrelated and chatting with the guy at the service desk about the fluid. He looked it up and couldn't find any information initially. He also went into the back and found the fluid in a 55gal bulk drum that also didn't have any information. He kept clicking through the screens and found the 212-B ATF and part number 1031106-00-A with a discription of Dextron VI synthetic. I read the description myself right off the SC screen. This was for my 2014 P85D...