Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Ok, Google" in the car would be beyond fantastic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a Google home mini user I've become accustomed to being able to ask Google anything that springs to my mind. I'd by lying if I told you that I haven't accidentally tried to ask my Tesla using the familiar "Ok, Google" prompt only to have it fail...obviously.

Having my Google assistant in my Tesla (seamlessly integrated) would be beyond fantastic.

Does anyone else wish for this?

I suppose I could buy another mini and put it in the center console tethered to my phone,.

I think you can set up OK Google with an Android phone. No need for the tethered mini in that case.

People do do this with Amazon Echo Dots in cars. Enough that Amazon is now making a dedicated unit for cars (which I am going to order as soon as it is released). I am sure Google will follow since the Amazon one sold out of the early access almost instantly.

As a Google home mini user I've become accustomed to being able to ask Google anything that springs to my mind. I'd by lying if I told you that I haven't accidentally tried to ask my Tesla using the familiar "Ok, Google" prompt only to have it fail...obviously.

Having my Google assistant in my Tesla (seamlessly integrated) would be beyond fantastic.

I wish to not have it.

You say... "Hey Siri, how do I get Google Assistant in my Tesla"

Seriously though, at least with my iPhone connected via Bluetooth, if I hold press the steering wheel button, it opens up Siri and you can the provide audio commands. It requires a button press, but it works after that.

Wait... Long press for siri works in the model 3? I could swear I tried it (because I used it in my BMW, and still use it in my wifes BMW), but it didnt work. Ill have to try this again if long pressing for siri actually works.

I setup "hey siri" on my iphone simply to be able to have it read me text messages etc like I used to do with long press in bmw.

Reactions: fiatlux

No. There’s nothing I need Google or Siri to do in the car.

Reactions: Doc Savage

Yes, albeit it with Siri in my case because I mostly use Apple devices.

I wish Tesla provided Apple CarPlay / Android Auto integration. With the Tesla, I miss being able to send and receive text without ever having to take my eyes off the road or hands off the steering wheel. Also miss seamless Apple Music experience. And being able to ask Siri random questions while driving, such as How’s the weather at ..., What was the score of the ... game, Is my garage closed, and so on.

Yes, albeit it with Siri in my case because I mostly use Apple devices.

I wish Tesla provided Apple CarPlay / Android Auto integration. With the Tesla, I miss being able to send and receive text without ever having to take my eyes off the road or hands off the steering wheel. Also miss seamless Apple Music experience. And being able to ask Siri random questions while driving, such as How’s the weather at ..., What was the score of the ... game, Is my garage closed, and so on.

You can do all of this by audio. Siri still works. What you don't get is anything on the center screen.

Wait... Long press for siri works in the model 3? I could swear I tried it (because I used it in my BMW, and still use it in my wifes BMW), but it didnt work. Ill have to try this again if long pressing for siri actually works.

I setup "hey siri" on my iphone simply to be able to have it read me text messages etc like I used to do with long press in bmw.

Me too. Long press on right steering wheel still launches the cars voice prompt. Left does nothing but pause audio.

Having the steering wheel button launch Siri is called “Siri Eyes”. My Jeep has that.

I moved my phone to a ProClip so I could activate Siri “mechanically”. On iPhoneX it’s the long hold on power button on the side. Other iPhones it’s long press home.

I even did a video on it. If there is a way to activate it from the wheel that would be even better.

I've done this before as well. mostly when travelling with my daughter and we want to look up a piece of information. (That said, full Google Music implementation would be great as well!)

Reactions: dsvick
Unless something has changed the long press does not work. I’m continually amazed at how far behind Tesla is in this area. For being a tech company that makes cars their “tech” is sad. From auto wipers that don’t work reliably to their pathetic excuse for in car infotainment. Just look at a video of the new 2019 BMW 3 series as an example. It has a “ Hey BMW” voice system that controls just about everything including the climate control. Even my 2015 BMW 4 series was way ahead of my Model 3 and had the long press option for Siri.

Reactions: Curb71
You say... "Hey Siri, how do I get Google Assistant in my Tesla"

Seriously though, at least with my iPhone connected via Bluetooth, if I hold press the steering wheel button, it opens up Siri and you can the provide audio commands. It requires a button press, but it works after that.

I call shenanigans on this.

Almost 100% positive it doesn't. I do like you do, simply press mute and say "hey siri".