Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ok, I tried Tidal, and…(and “premium” audio too)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully Tesla will add airplay so an iPhone can stream music at a higher bitrate than over Bluetooth. Right now I use an SSD loaded with FLACs, tune in for news, and occasional streaming for other stuff. The only problems with usb FLACs is that it tends to be older music rather than new, discovered music.

In a car? Absolute. 100%. I'm piloting 2 tons of electric death at high speeds. Anything that takes my eyes off the road is a liability.
I just find every voice system to be even more frustrating. Siri, Alexa, Tesla. They all make the same mistakes and end up making it even harder. I can get through the Tidal screens pretty easily, but I also know when I shouldn't be looking there.

what I've noticed about the Tesla sound system is that it's very transparent, I have the free tidal trial service and I paid for the mid-tier service upgrade. what I wish it would do is when I ask to play an album it would remember that I have it in my favorites and play that specific album not make a "station" for it.

what I've noticed about the Tesla sound system is that it's very transparent, I have the free tidal trial service and I paid for the mid-tier service upgrade. what I wish it would do is when I ask to play an album it would remember that I have it in my favorites and play that specific album not make a "station" for it.

It would be nice if they did that. It would be nice if they did a lot of things. But it seems that there are no resources committed to improving Tidal on Tesla and it's hard to know if and when that'll change.

Reactions: markc2
It would be nice if they did that. It would be nice if they did a lot of things. But it seems that there are no resources committed to improving Tidal on Tesla and it's hard to know if and when that'll change.
There are no resources committed to improving any of the music interfaces. The Bluetooth interface is laughable with no ability to sort through libraries or playlists. The USB interface is only for people with a lot of time in their hands that like to do a lot of manual updating. It's been like this since they released the car so safe to say that improving any of the musical interfaces is not even under consideration.

Can someone pls explain how to get the best out of tidal on a Tesla? I’ve read this entire thread but still am unsure of what to do.

Do I tether my phone to my Tesla and then use the Tesla Tidal App?

Am I free to just use the Tidal app without tethering?

My songs have a “High” button next to the song title. Does this mean I am getting the best quality from Tidal?

I am using Tidals mid tier plan, Hi-Fi ($9.99/m). Will upgrading to Hi-Fi Plus make any difference?

Hopefully someone can answering these questions I am so confused about 🥴

Can someone pls explain how to get the best out of tidal on a Tesla? I’ve read this entire thread but still am unsure of what to do. I’m on a 22’ Tesla Model S.

Am I free to just use the Tidal app on my Tesla without tethering?

My songs have a “High” button next to the song title. Does this mean I am getting the best quality from Tidal?

I am using Tidals mid tier plan, Hi-Fi ($9.99/m). Will upgrading to Hi-Fi Plus make any difference?

• Helpful
Reactions: Tezlowski
Can someone pls explain how to get the best out of tidal on a Tesla? I’ve read this entire thread but still am unsure of what to do. I’m on a 22’ Tesla Model S.

Am I free to just use the Tidal app on my Tesla without tethering?

Tidal will work even on LTE in your car but it will not be HI-FI.

Tether to your phone as a hotspot so your car is on WiFi and songs you play in Tidal in the car will be HIFI - there will be a badge next to the song signifying this.

You can pre-download playlists when you’re at your home Wi-Fi if you want.

Songs streamed in HIFI from being played while connected to your phone will download automatically, so next time you play those songs they will be HIFI even if your car is not connected via wifi.

Hope that helps.

Tether to your phone as a hotspot so your car is on WiFi and songs you play in Tidal in the car will be HIFI - there will be a badge next to the song signifying this.

Songs streamed in HIFI from being played while connected to your phone will download automatically, so next time you play those songs they will be HIFI even if your car is not connected via wifi.

Hope that helps.
I really appreciate your response, thank you so much! so, the best way to do it is to tether your phones wifi to the car and then use the Tesla Tidal App?

Right now I just use the Tesla Tidal app without tethering and the songs have "HIGH" right next to them. By tether would "Hi-Fi" appear instead?

Hope that helps.
That last point I did not know and it explains why TIDAL tells me I have no space to download anything in the car, even though I’ve not explicitly downloaded anything, nor can I manage what has actually been downloaded.

Going to Tidal's Hifi Plus plan will not bring any benefit to your car. What that plan provides is greater than CD quality using MQA and the car is not equipped to handle that. If you want that for home go for it, but if you only use it in the car don't bother.

The one thing I still don't quite know how to do is selectively delete downloaded music that comes from playing while tethered to the phone. You can delete a downloaded playlist but not the songs automatically downloaded. I think I had to log off of Tidal, reboot the car, and then log back in and it would clear the songs. I'm not sure if that was the order though. I did it once when my queue was full. I believe it also deleted all downloaded playlists and albums too.

Hope that helps.
Does anyone know how much download space there is? If you change the flash drive in the glove box to an external SDD, will it use that extra space? I've looked on my external drive and don't see anything related to TIDAL but would be great if it did.

Going to Tidal's Hifi Plus plan will not bring any benefit to your car. What that plan provides is greater than CD quality using MQA and the car is not equipped to handle that. If you want that for home go for it, but if you only use it in the car don't bother.

The one thing I still don't quite know how to do is selectively delete downloaded music that comes from playing while tethered to the phone. You can delete a downloaded playlist but not the songs automatically downloaded. I think I had to log off of Tidal, reboot the car, and then log back in and it would clear the songs. I'm not sure if that was the order though. I did it once when my queue was full. I believe it also deleted all downloaded playlists and albums too.
+1, same question on deleting downloads...

Reactions: Durzel
Does anyone know how much download space there is? If you change the flash drive in the glove box to an external SDD, will it use that extra space? I've looked on my external drive and don't see anything related to TIDAL but would be great if it did.

Nope. For some bizarre reason, Tesla has songs download to your onboard storage, not external storage. Makes no sense, but hey, it’s Tesla!

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel

Roughly 12GB on MCU2 cars (and same space is used for storing games- you can delete those to clear some of it)

MCU3 should have a LOT more.

You can't use external storage at all currently for this.

I've been using Tidal since it was released to my car and while it is far from perfect, it does what I wanted from it, which was to allow playing of good quality music. After Tidal came out I upgraded the speakers about a month or two later and I've been content with it. Maybe someday there'll be an update to the Tidal app to make it easier to use.

Reactions: Gasaraki