Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OK to leave USB charger plugged in 24/7?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The USB ports are always ON (Dec 2014 Model S) contrary to what everyone is saying. Only the 12V outlet is switched off when the car powers off. How do I know this? I have a constant USB charger plugged in one port and the light is always on (the cables with the LED at the tips), the other plugged into my lithium-ion battery pack which I connect to my cell phones and the unit says it's always charging. I've gone as far as plugging a dead tablet into it and come back hours later to find that it is fully charged. Since my dash cam uses 5V, I will be wiring it to the USB also now. And yes it is okay to keep accessories plugged in. If the 12V dips below a certain voltage, the main pack charges it back up.

The real answer is that they shut off but it takes a while. Before I installed my BlackVue, I was running a dashcam off the USB and it would sometimes take several hours before it turned off. The real question is do they come back on when the contactors close to charge the 12v battery?

- - - Updated - - -

In my car they go off if and only if I check the energy saving boxes which put the car into a deep sleep.

Do you mean the always connected settng? Mine is set to on and the USB turns off after a few hours.

• Informative
Reactions: pl804
Just got one of these bad boys:
Amazon.com: SCOSCHE USBC242M 12 Watt USB Car Charger for iPhone/iPad/iPod Lightning/Micro - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones Accessories

Can I leave it plugged in the car 24/7? Or is it going to do harm to my 12v battery?

I have a rechargeable LED flashlight plugged in all the time along with a number of other things connected to the 12v battery circuit (front lighted T, camera switch, etc). I have no problems whatsoever with the 12v battery.