Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OK who is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kids these days!

I want to know how he knew there was an outlet there, and if he ALWAYS carries his mobile wall connector.

Otherwise, it seems like a fishy story because if he "ran out of battery", then how did he get to that specific yard with a wall outlet?

Kids these days!

I want to know how he knew there was an outlet there, and if he ALWAYS carries his mobile wall connector.

Otherwise, it seems like a fishy story because if he "ran out of battery", then how did he get to that specific yard with a wall outlet?

I always have the UMC and several adapters in the car.

Can't speak to knowing about the outlet, and I'd never let the car get so low I couldn't get to another house in the same neighborhood anyway...

Reactions: SD_Engnr
Nope you won't find any 110 outlets in North America. We use 120v here (US and Canda). If you end up crossing into Mexico they use 127v.

You are going to have to use a ship or a plane to get your Tesla to somewhere that has 110v outlets in 2019. You could use a time machine to go back to pre WW2 US and have a decent chance of finding 110v but I think it's easier to just plug into the voltage we use in this time period.

In fact, it's usually more like 123v these days.

Reactions: erik_k
I'm sorry based on what I lisstened to on the TV station's report I don't buy what the Tesla owner was saying. I heard that he used an extension cord. If that's so, where at midnight did he get one to plug into his MCU? Are there a lot of you guys out there that carry extension cords with you?

I can understand not wanting to knock on someone's door at midnight to ask to plug in in an emergency, but don't you show up at a decent hour to talk to the homeowner (or at least leave him a note on his door or your car explaining), start by apologizing, offer to pay something for the electricity and in his case also bring up the lawn parking?

Without hearing what the Tesla owners said to the police and homeowner, hard to say what else to think but not well handled in any event. That homeowner needs to put locks on his publicly easily accessible yet lockable weatherproof outlet covers!

BTW we carry our mobile connectors with us in both our cars but not an extension cord.

I'm sorry based on what I lisstened to on the TV station's report I don't buy what the Tesla owner was saying. I heard that he used an extension cord. If that's so, where at midnight did he get one to plug into his MCU? Are there a lot of you guys out there that carry extension cords with you?

I can understand not wanting to knock on someone's door at midnight to ask to plug in in an emergency, but don't you show up at a decent hour to talk to the homeowner (or at least leave him a note on his door or your car explaining), start by apologizing, offer to pay something for the electricity and in his case also bring up the lawn parking?

Without hearing what the Tesla owners said to the police and homeowner, hard to say what else to think but not well handled in any event. That homeowner needs to put locks on his publicly easily accessible yet lockable weatherproof outlet covers!

BTW we carry our mobile connectors with us in both our cars but not an extension cord.

I carry extension cords on longer road trips, but usually not on a random day.

Are there a lot of you guys out there that carry extension cords with you?

I was a girl scout. In my frunk at all times is a high amperage extension cord, a J1772 extension cord, my mobile charge cord, numerous adapters (only major one I am missing is a TT-30), a locking ring for J1772 (rarely used), a chademo adapter, as well as my "normal car" stuff like an air compressor, tire plug kit, emergency kit, etc.

I will add the CCS adapter once its released in the US. Always good to have options.

There are three Superchargers within 20 miles of that location. How do you screw so badly that you need to park in someone's yard for twelve hours?

When I was prepping to leave Palm Springs for the drive back to the Bay area, I stopped at the closest SC on my way. I had just gotten a spot (there was a 10min wait) when a flatbed pulled up with a new Model 3 on back... He was getting the car off to get into a SC bay but it was facing nose-in (fail)

So I went up to him before the car was all the way off and told him it needed to be backed in and that's when I got to ask the owner what happened. Car had told her stop now to charge to reach destination and it had died right outside the parking lot where the SC stations were..

Happens I guess. I always have my mobile charger in the car cause reasons..

Sonofabitch keeps draining the battery like this, he’s gonna kill his M3 anyway.

There are just no words to describe how wrong this behavior was. I kinda wish charges had been pressed, just for the shame effect. But FPL charges 12 cents/kWh round the clock. Not worth PBSO’s attention.

My HOA would have a field day with that car and the owners whose guests behaved this way if it happened in my neighborhood near Lake Worth. That’s a warning to the perps in case they read TMC.

(Snip)

I have connectors in my car but not an extension cord. But I often have an extension cord outdoors at my house.

Lately, we've been vacationing at AIRBNB's - We generally ask the owners if they've got plugs accessible from the outside, and if we can use them. I'll check TeslaFi afterwards to see how much I've pulled, and then offer the highest US rate (which is .24kWh) and pay them back. On our most recent trip, I pulled 107kWh over the course of the week, and the owner didn't want me to pay him back (I did anyway) - Summer time is high season for power consumption as it is! Some of these hard-to-reach areas don't have superchargers or plugshares nearby. I suspect that eventually there will be EV charging services ramping up for stuck-EVs that can do mobile super charging. Towing to a SC seems like overkill if you can be given 10-20 minutes of high voltage charging off a truck with a generator or large high voltage battery and be on your way.

Lately, we've been vacationing at AIRBNB's - We generally ask the owners if they've got plugs accessible from the outside, and if we can use them. I'll check TeslaFi afterwards to see how much I've pulled, and then offer the highest US rate (which is .24kWh) and pay them back. On our most recent trip, I pulled 107kWh over the course of the week, and the owner didn't want me to pay him back (I did anyway) - Summer time is high season for power consumption as it is! Some of these hard-to-reach areas don't have superchargers or plugshares nearby. I suspect that eventually there will be EV charging services ramping up for stuck-EVs that can do mobile super charging. Towing to a SC seems like overkill if you can be given 10-20 minutes of high voltage charging off a truck with a generator or large high voltage battery and be on your way.

AAA put the first mobile charger trucks into service in 2011. They haven't seen nearly as much demand as they expected...

AAA Charging Trucks Seldom See Action

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and ckoval7