Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OK who is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to plugshare there are a bunch of Free Tesla Destination Chargers within less than 10 miles of there. There are also several superchargers within 20 miles from there. If he was in really bad need of a charge, charge it just enough to get to a supercharger. Just ask the home owner. They would probably say yes. If they say no, walk to the next identically built house in the community. This is pure laziness, stupidity, and entitlement.

20 miles would take 6 or 7 hours at 110.

120v is about 3rmph at home on a 15a circuit.

I just got my m3p- 2 days ago. I am still using 120v at home. I am feeling that pain now. I went to a public Tesla Wall this AM for an hour (10x what I get with 120v) just to make up the difference of daily usage (not far, but as a new m3p- I am fairly heavy on the acceleration.).

At first I thought maybe the house showed up as a private/public charge point on a plugshare map, but that doesn't look to be the case.

That's a jerk move. Never would do that. I would call Telsa roadside or AAA before considering such a move, and even then. It's a good thing the homeowner seems relaxed about it.

He could have stuck $20 under the door with a note. My 14-50 outlet inside the garage has been on plugshare for a year with a phone number and I've never been called. There will always be someone on the skirt of the bell curve who will run out of fuel/juice/intelligence. It's usually explained by "everybody makes mistakes".

I don't even own a standard outlet plug for my Tesla. I've even wondered the worth of traveling with the NEMA thing honestly.

That said, as you can see from my avatar, I also ride a Zero. And I have many times plugged into random places off the side of the road. Always a business or a friends house and half the times vacant (before/after hours/weekend) and without permission. When possible, I ask the manager (diner for example) or I stay with the bike.

I do this at WaWa/7-Eleven, Diners/Restaurants, etc. Sometimes if planning, I call ahead, sometimes I beg, and if possible, I'll go to a store that looks closed so I don't even have to ask. For the bike though, we're talking 17c/hr, so it's really trivial.

If I had done this, I would have left a note. "I'm out of charge and desperate. Sorry. Will return tomorrow at 6 AM, I'll pay for the electricity" and leave a cell number.

I was a girl scout. In my frunk at all times is a high amperage extension cord, a J1772 extension cord, my mobile charge cord, numerous adapters (only major one I am missing is a TT-30), a locking ring for J1772 (rarely used), a chademo adapter, as well as my "normal car" stuff like an air compressor, tire plug kit, emergency kit, etc.

I will add the CCS adapter once its released in the US. Always good to have options.

Someone has a profound fear of tow trucks.;)

I was a girl scout. In my frunk at all times is a high amperage extension cord, a J1772 extension cord, my mobile charge cord, numerous adapters (only major one I am missing is a TT-30), a locking ring for J1772 (rarely used), a chademo adapter, as well as my "normal car" stuff like an air compressor, tire plug kit, emergency kit, etc.

I will add the CCS adapter once its released in the US. Always good to have options.

I’m with you. I have the full complement of Tesla adapters, TT30 adapter and even a homemade (and quite nice) Quick 240 setup. The various adapters have come in handy several times, allowing me to charge pretty much anywhere from anything but a twist lock plug.

Reactions: Az_Rael
At first I thought maybe the house showed up as a private/public charge point on a plugshare map, but that doesn't look to be the case.

That's a jerk move. Never would do that. I would call Telsa roadside or AAA before considering such a move, and even then. It's a good thing the homeowner seems relaxed about it.

AAA tow yes, but Telsa roadside doesn't cover running out of juice though right?

We officially changed to 120 in 1984...

>In the United States in the 1920s, utilities formed joint-operations to share peak load coverage and backup power. In 1934, with the passage of the Public Utility Holding Company Act (USA), electric utilities were recognized as public goods of importance and were given outlined restrictions and regulatory oversight of their operations.

> In 1942, the Edison Electric Institute published the document Utilization Voltage Standardization Recommendations, EEI Pub. No. J-8. Based on that early document, a joint report was issued in 1949 by the Edison Electric Institute (EEI Pub. No. R6) and the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA Pub. No. 117). This 1949 publication was subsequently approved as American National Standard EEI-NEMA Preferred Voltage Ratings for AC Systems and Equipment, ANSI C84.1-1954.

I can't say what year your state or local utility switched to 120v. But the transition away from voltages below 120v in the US happened well before 1984. Likely well before the 1930s. The old systems included 110v, 115v, and 117v and were disjointed. Once they unified those systems everything started moving toward 120v.

ANSI standard was 120v in 1942 even if it was less than 100% in place by then. The number of hold outs in the 80s would have been the minority not the rule.

see North American power transmission grid - Wikipedia for more on that unification.\

"In the United States and Canada, national standards specify that the nominal voltage supplied to the consumer should be 120 V and allow a range of 114 V to 126 V (RMS) (−5% to +5%)."

Last edited:
120v is about 3rmph at home on a 15a circuit.

I just got my m3p- 2 days ago. I am still using 120v at home. I am feeling that pain now. I went to a public Tesla Wall this AM for an hour (10x what I get with 120v) just to make up the difference of daily usage (not far, but as a new m3p- I am fairly heavy on the acceleration.).

I read numbers like a this a lot, but I typically get 5 mph and very often 6 mph charging at home on a 120v/15a circuit. Not sure why.

• Informative
Reactions: Bill Foster
If you're gonna juice up because you're completely dead at least have some respect for the man's lawn, secondly once you get enough juice to get to a super charger just leave and go do that. This is pure disrespect from an inconsiderate azzhole.

I read numbers like a this a lot, but I typically get 5 mph and very often 6 mph charging at home on a 120v/15a circuit. Not sure why.

I haven't been able to find a more recent version of this chart, but its helpful to understand common charging speeds, and types.

7afd0683-fcef-4b5d-84de-8e088beba939.jpg