Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ok, who was this on HWY 880

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having driven a working model S... and also having driven a motorcycle...

I think both are idiots.

The model S driver is dumb because he was paying too much attention to one-upping the motorcycle that he nearly crashed into the other car. Although the other car jumping lanes isn't helpful, he should have better road awareness of the likelihood of that guy jumping lanes anyway or at the very least been cautious of such a possibility on an on-ramp.

The motorcycle driver is dumb because he should have picked a car to go in front of after filtering and wait for a more natural opportunity to join in the on-ramp cycle rather than trying to blow through it like he did. There are 2 lights, one for each lane, usually altering to kind of pace the rate at which traffic enters the interstate... there is no 3rd middle light for motorcycles filtering, so you're kinda of ****ing over the whole point of that system as well as endangering yourself in the process.

If I had to pick a side, I'd side with the model S driver as it was his turn to go per the light turning green, and the motorcycle should have been more aware of this.

To all those saying 'lane splitting is dangerous'.. please help me understand what would've changed about the main incident (Tesla not leaving enough space, swerving and braking recklessly) if let's say hypothetically, there was no lane splitting done by the bike in the video?

Not sure if it was rhetorical or not, but, nothing. The incident would have likely played it exactly as it did. The tesla driver would have still driven recklessly, because he wouldn't want the bruised ego of getting 'best' by a motorcycle.

To those who don't ride, motorcycles often accelerate faster than cars in normal situations. It's not racing, it's not aggressive, it's just how the majority of people ride. Bikes stall pretty easily [compared to cars] and they have pretty good power to weight ratio.

The motorcycle driver is dumb because he should have picked a car to go in front of after filtering and wait for a more natural opportunity to join in the on-ramp cycle rather than trying to blow through it like he did. There are 2 lights, one for each lane, usually altering to kind of pace the rate at which traffic enters the interstate... there is no 3rd middle light for motorcycles filtering, so you're kinda of ****ing over the whole point of that system as well as endangering yourself in the process.

No. The motorcyclist did it fine. The right lane was the proper one to slide into based on the light sequence, since the left lane (the tesla lane) was going to turn green. That's the least impact to traffic flow and the way lane splitting works.

If the tesla guy had an brains, he would have known traffic was slowing. The car that moved into his lane was just making a normal traffic manuver. The tesla driver needs to change his/her ways or someone is going to get hurt.

The only thing wrong/stupid the motorcyclist did was chase the tesla. No good comes out of chasing/attacking a 5000 pound motor vehicle that just moments before was driven with ultimate incompetency.

No. The motorcyclist did it fine. The right lane was the proper one to slide into based on the light sequence, since the left lane (the tesla lane) was going to turn green. That's the least impact to traffic flow and the way lane splitting works.

I don't think blowing through a red is classified as lane splitting... he did not stop so he either was in the left lane or blowing a red and as you've indicated going in the left lane is a bad idea with any car being there about ready to go and cutting them off.

It took me years to learn the California way of letting bikes pass, but I was never against it. I was in NYC and Iowa when that became legal in California, and I just hadn't learned how. I'm finally quite good at it now. I hear the bikes and look in my mirrors more often basically. I've never seen the need to slow any bikes down. They take a huge compromise (less safe, less comfortable, less cargo) in order to take less space; they ought to have some space advantage.

In fact, I don't understand why people want to slow other people down at all. San Jose VTA "Outreach" vehicles ARE THE WORST! They get into the far left lane and go sub-speed limit EVERY time. I had one of those blocking the freeway today. But, there's lots of people who get mad when they are slower than other cars. I just don't get it! I let faster drivers pass me. I even let slower drivers pass me if they happen to be going faster, even though I expect to re-pass them at some point later. I don't mind if other people make it to my destination before me. I just want to get there before I fall asleep, get bored with paying attention to the roadways, or waste my time.

I just don't get it! I let faster drivers pass me.
What we need is autobahns, no speed limit and a legal requirement to let people who want to go faster pass you. Two things that stand in our way here in the US through, the design and quality of the roads (most not suitable for 150mph) and insufficient driver training (so much easier to get a license in the US than Germany).

When I lived in California I used to have a motorcycle and have done many commutes on the 880. I'm not a big fan of lane-splitting and I was one of the few who only ever use it in stopped traffic. Two reasons: 1. It is safer, and 2. That's the "law" if there was one. I've seen motorcycles do crazy things like the guy in the video and I wonder if they realize that no matter who is at fault, it is the guy on the motorcycle that will suffer the most in a collision. When in a car, or "cage" as motorcyclists call it, I try to give motorcycles as much space as possible even if they are being complete jerks. I can't imagine anyone wants to live with the guilt or repercussions of injuring or killing another motorist even accidentally let one intentionally. That Tesla guy seriously needs to consider getting AP if he doesn't have it already.

I've seen motorcycles do crazy things like the guy in the video...

The only thing crazy was chasing after the tesla. The lane splitting was executed at a very safe speed, skipping the light and moving away from the on-deck green lane (the Tesla's lane) was the courteous thing to do. As was squirting away from the light so as to definitely not impede any car's progress.

Reactions: rEVhappy
One crazy thing can be one too many. I did notice a safe lane-splitting, but it is really not worth it to get worked up and ending up not noticing something else.

Agree.

Not unlike how many of us actively evangelize BEVs in the face of some pretty stupid anti-sentiment, I'm reacting to the FUD-based narratives here that try to dismiss the motorcyclist's lane splitting and light skipping actions as crazy or out of line, mostly based on the [inane] chase-and-fist-shake sequence at the end.

Reactions: rEVhappy
What we need is autobahns, no speed limit and a legal requirement to let people who want to go faster pass you. Two things that stand in our way here in the US through, the design and quality of the roads (most not suitable for 150mph) and insufficient driver training (so much easier to get a license in the US than Germany).

Also traffic tickets as a revenue center for the department that issues the tickets.

So the tesla driver should be stripped of his license and never drive again?

I dunno I just watched the video several times and it seems different from when I first watched it or maybe I didn't watch closely. I'm more inclined to believe the T driver maybe cut in front of him on purpose and brake checked him. Or he's a crappy driver, I'm not sure. I'm not convinced the MC was trying to race the T driver at all. But it appeared the T had plenty of time to slow down when the car changed lanes. Thankfully nobody was hurt thanks to the quick reaction by the MC.

Reactions: rEVhappy and Joelc
I dunno I just watched the video several times and it seems different from when I first watched it or maybe I didn't watch closely. I'm more inclined to believe the T driver maybe cut in front of him on purpose and brake checked him. Or he's a crappy driver, I'm not sure. I'm not convinced the MC was trying to race the T driver at all. But it appeared the T had plenty of time to slow down when the car changed lanes. Thankfully nobody was hurt thanks to the quick reaction by the MC.

That's what a few of us have been saying all along.. It was the Tesla that was reckless here, not the MC (except after the incident)

Glad you finally got it.

Reactions: Joelc