TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Ok, Winter Is Here - I Want To Leave the Heat On When I Run Into The Store!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Soundchasr, Dec 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Soundchasr

Soundchasr Member

All of my previous cars (BMW, MB, Audi) have had a feature that allows the heat or AC to stay on for several minutes after I leave the car to run into a store or whatever. Based on my Googling Tesla does not offer this feature. Since we're a pretty smart bunch, I'm sure someone has come up with a workaround. I saw a post about leaving the door slightly ajar but I'm not comfortable doing that. Any other suggestions? Any thoughts one why Tesla would ignore what should be a pretty easy feature to implement?

2. lunitiks

lunitiks ˭ ˭ ʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽʽ ʭ ʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼʼ ˭ ˭

Easy.

Put the car in N, touch "Controls" - "E-brake & Power Off" - "PARKING BRAKE".

This will enable parking brake, while car is in Neutral so it wont power off when you leave car

• Informative x 1
  3. Soundchasr

Soundchasr Member

Thanks for the workaround. If only we could have a single button to press.......

4. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I always just pull up the phone app as I'm walking into the store and turn climate back on.

• Like x 9
    • Informative x 1
  5. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

That would be the sensible thing to do rather than have someone break the window and drive away because it's in neutral. Lol

• Informative x 1
  6. Soundchasr

Soundchasr Member

Do you ever have a problem where you turn it on via the app and it turns itself off after about 2 seconds? I usually have to turn it on twice.

Although both suggestions work, it's really strange that one of the most technologically advanced cars in the world doesn't have such a feature.

7. lunitiks

He wont be going anywhere without the fob or phone (app)

8. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

Phone app work's for me.

9. ohmman

I have seen the app not recognize that the climate is on. I've turned it on and had to change displays on the app (for example to Charge, then back) before it showed the climate actually on.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  10. donv

donv Member

Phone app for me. The neutral/e-brake thing is for if someone wants to wait in the car while you go inside. I don't believe the car locks in that state.

• Informative x 1
  11. Soundchasr

Soundchasr Member

Tried the neutral/e-brake thing when I went to the store a few minutes ago. Made me nervous..... :(

12. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Not exactly the same situation, but in a friendly area (or with people in the car while I step out) I leave the driver door closed but unlatched. Climate stays on, quick and easy to do. Car still can't be driven without fob or app.

13. ohmman

If someone's in the car, having them tap the touchscreen after you close the door is easiest (in my opinion).

14. lunitiks

Yeah it's not ideal security-wise, i.e. if your afraid of people getting in your car while you're away. It's called "camper mode" and is actually perfect for sleeping or staying for longer periods of time inside the car

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I use the app to turn it back on too... but while I'm at it, have another request: I wish the time the HVAC stays on could be adjusted, or at least set up to stay on longer when the car is plugged in. Often I turn on at home before I go out, but it will timeout after, what is it: 20 or 30 minutes and I have to remember to turn it back on again.

16. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

If you have the 8.0 firmware on your car just buckle the front passengers seat belt before you get out and the A/C should stay on for up to 30 minutes. (You could even use a seat belt extension device so you don't have to reach over to get the actual seat belt.)

17. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

I remember Elon saying that when Version 8.1 rolls out Tesla will enable always-on minimum and maximum temperatures. Problem solved. Ok, maybe not yet. Hopefully soon.

• Informative x 3
  18. EVCarGUy

EVCarGUy Member

Get out of the car, but before closing the door, reach in with your right foot and push the brake "button" firmly. This will leave the car 'on'

One button.

• Informative x 1
  19. Soundchasr

Soundchasr Member

Going to try that tomorrow!

20. EVCarGUy

EVCarGUy Member

I use this method to get my mail. The boxes are on the side of a rural road. I hated getting out, walking across the street and then having the car go dark whle on the side of the road. I want the headlights, tail lights, and turn signal to remain on. The brake method works just fine. I don't know how long the car will stay this way; the 'shift to neutral mode' will last until the battery dies!

You do have to press firmly - just like when engaging hill hold. The car should make the "da-dump, da-dump" error/warning sound. The handles will auto-retract (usually just about the time I get the mail and approach the car), but I don't know for sure if it auto-locks. You should experiment with that, or use the single click on the top of the remote to ensure the car is locked.

• Informative x 1