Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ok, Winter Is Here - I Want To Leave the Heat On When I Run Into The Store!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use the app to turn it back on too... but while I'm at it, have another request: I wish the time the HVAC stays on could be adjusted, or at least set up to stay on longer when the car is plugged in. Often I turn on at home before I go out, but it will timeout after, what is it: 20 or 30 minutes and I have to remember to turn it back on again.
Why do you turn it on so early? Car heats up pretty quick, just do it 10 minutes before leaving.

Why do you turn it on so early? Car heats up pretty quick, just do it 10 minutes before leaving.

In Canada and northern US states, it can get quite cold and often takes an hour or more to heat the battery pack enough just to allow a little bit of re-gen. Plus, if you're lazy like me, sometimes it takes longer just to melt the snow and ice off the glass!

He wont be going anywhere without the fob or phone (app)
In the scenerio described, the car is running and in Neutral with the parking brake set. So if someone enters the car... yes they can drive without the fob/phone.
And on this topic... I've done this neutral trick, not to keep car warm, but to keep screen on (with an info page displaying about the car). Trouble is, first time I did it, I FORGOT TO LOCK the doors! I was so used to the car auto locking when I leave, that I didn't think it may not do it when in neutral. No issue, car was still there when I returned, but thought I'd mention it in case anyone tries this trick to keep the car warm/for whatever reason, remember to lock the doors!

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler and Ulmo