Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Okay, I think down the road I’m getting one. Here’s why.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my Model 3 Performance for speed practicality, and range. It’s a beautiful sedan, but I wish it could be a bit more... aggressive-looking. I’ve been a muscle car enthusiast my whole life and always enjoyed aggressive-looking, fast cars.
Well, for about what I paid for the Model 3 Performance I could get a faster, roomier, and farther-traveling machine than what I have now. A quarter mile in 10.8 seconds is blistering fast, and my bladder will keep me from going further than the range if the truck. And I’ve never really had a bullet-proof car I could off-road in before.
It’s definitely growing on me.

I will say this Tesla forum is something. It makes me think, smile and even laugh at times. Thanks to all. I Currently own the 2016 Model X P90D signature red car number 220 and 2017 Dodge Ram eco-diesel, No, I bought the model X used at half the price. I have been waiting for the reveal as we all have. I was caught off guard with the design, to say the least. As many have said the stats are excellent, and I do luv the scratch proof, bullet, bang and I would think safety aspects of the vehicle. Actions speak louder and so I have ordered (which went smoothly) tri-motor, with self-driving option. If I enjoy the truck as much as I enjoy my model X, I will be happy. I do expect by the time the truck is produced the shape will change a little. When I first saw the model X I didn't like it but I did like everything else. Now when I drive around people come up to me and say that is the most beautiful car they have seen. Be careful on what the naysayers think about the design. Think about were this akward presenting man has impacted on the world of automobiles and more single handily.

I plan to switch from my 2015 Model S to the TCT. I actually need the functionality (and height) of a truck and I've been waiting for Tesla to get one on the road. I agree that the look is, well, polarizing. The specs are jaw-dropping and if it is as versatile as it promises to be, I will be more than satisfied. I almost pulled the trigger on an X, but I'm glad I waited.

Reactions: Lasairfion
I reserved one. At first glance I was freaked out by the overall look, but checking out the interior, bed, and powered bed cover, I'm kind of liking what I'm seeing. It's coming at an interesting transition for me. When I bought my Model X in 2016, we had twin infants and the falcon wing doors are a huge help to get the kids buckled into their car seats. It has been great for a daily driver and road trips. I've always recognized that it's a people hauler more than a stuff hauler. We can't fit our bikes in it. I can't fit taller things in the trunk. The 7 seats limit the length of things I can take.

Now that my kids are older, and when they truck possible comes out in a few years, I won't need the falcon wing doors to buckle car seat belts. I will need to be able to carry four bikes. The truck bed under storage will and possible yet unseen frunk will still let me daily drive (getting groceries and small things). The powered cover will let us throw luggage in the back and take road trips with ease and I can open it up to carry tall things.

The things I'll need to see developed are the lack of side mirrors for trailer hauling. I think physical mirrors are still an NHTSA requirement? Cadillac has a camera mirror, but also acts as an optical mirror when turned off. I'll need to see pocket storage for the rear seats, missing from the prototype. I'll be interested in seeing front occupant storage. The front center seat folds down and turns into the arm rest so I don't think cup/phone storage is in there. I'm still not 100% on the overall exterior design because I'm not a flashy guy, but it does look cool. Will I be able to retract the cover when there's ice on it? I can brush off snow, but how does it handle little pieces (or sheets) of ice? I won't be able to aggressively scrape it like a windshield. Maybe it will be heated? In short, this ticks off a lot of boxes for me that my Model X doesn't. It's a no brainer to reserve at 100 bucks compared to the 5k I shelled out sight unseen for my X.

Last edited:
I expect the looks to soften quite a bit in the final production form - I must say it is much more appealing to me for towing an Airstream than the Ford or Ram trucks - I put off getting a trailer because I could not bear the thought of owning one of those. This vehicle should make a nice tow vehicle I think

I'll be interested in seeing front occupant storage. The front center seat folds down and turns into the arm rest so I don't think cup/phone storage is in there

Answering my own question. The Motor Trend article has a shot of the front center seat folded down. Looks like the back of the seat has cup holders towards the front (head) with a little cubby indentation more forward of that and openable storage under the armrest.

I think some people are missing the point of Cybertruck.

First - Design: Yes, it's polarizing for sure. However, from the comments I've been gathering, they have gotten the attention of many non-pickup AND/OR non-EV crowds. Many of them praising it to be bold and uberly cool. And even if you can't get past the design, you'd have to see what the design represents.

Second - Purpose: The body design, in my opinion, had to be this way. Tesla wanted to go with Stainless Steel body, a feat never pulled off on a production pickup and with the exception of Delorean, I'm not aware of another production car (any kind) that has SS body. And it's going to be a car that will literally last an eternity as the material will withstand both nature and nurture abuse. This IMO will make a huge appeal to the work crowd when they realize it's a truck that will take anything you throw at it and retain its shape.

Third - Price: Again, the body design was a direct representation of what it's trying to achieve. The top trim at less than 70k means that it's cheaper than a Model X 100D and MUCH less than the MX P100D. Something gotta give. We can't have the complexity in design while having a cheap price point.

Finally - Range: the top trim at over 500miles really sealed the deal for many... me included. I see it as the ultimate road trip beast as I'd be able to carry all the kids' bikes/skies/camping stuff while doing what I consider the max distance I can do in a day with kids in car. 10hr per day of driving minus restroom/food stops @ roughly 65mph average. Fully charge and repeat. No other truck announced to date ever cracked this magic number. And I suspect that it's only possible to pull it off with this design. For the design to stay "traditional" it'd surely put a lot of drag that reduces the range due to an exposed flat bed on the back. Maybe a member who specializes in aerodynamics can chime in?

Reactions: mspohr
I expect the looks to soften quite a bit in the final production form - I must say it is much more appealing to me for towing an Airstream than the Ford or Ram trucks - I put off getting a trailer because I could not bear the thought of owning one of those. This vehicle should make a nice tow vehicle I think

About that towing... I've been wondering how one would use a supercharger if you're towing a trailer. Are there any pull-through superchargers? The ones I've seen are all conventional parking types, but not having received my model 3 yet, I haven't seen many.

Answering my own question. The Motor Trend article has a shot of the front center seat folded down. Looks like the back of the seat has cup holders towards the front (head) with a little cubby indentation more forward of that and openable storage under the armrest.
I assume you are referring to this article? https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-rivian-r1t-compared-data-specs/

It seems like a fair comparison based on what little is known about the two vehicles.

About that towing... I've been wondering how one would use a supercharger if you're towing a trailer. Are there any pull-through superchargers? The ones I've seen are all conventional parking types, but not having received my model 3 yet, I haven't seen many.
There are several members here who regularly tow and use Superchargers (look at the profile pic for @ecarfan directly below your post).
There are very few pull throughs as you say - but with 500 mile range, halved to 250 by towing (say), you can do a pretty reasonable day's driving without even needing to SC. Worst case, you have to unhitch to charge, but only once in the day

So...was watching first-ride videos on YouTube and decided why not put my plan into action. I have a tri-motor reserved for delivery in late-2022 (which I expect may get pushed to 2023). Plenty of time to enjoy my M3P, and I’ll replace it with the ultimate road-trip truck down the road!

The design has grown on me. My friend’s dad, a Vietnam vet, deeply fell in love with this and ordered an AWD version and he is by no means an EV guy. Elon was right. People are either going to love it or hate it.